Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on the JATCO site. Sorry had to shrink it down for posting. I still think its a cool pic of the CVT though.

In an article I've read the CVT has 3 separate coolers. We already know about the normal one beneath the radiator tank, and the finned transmission pan. However this picture shows us the third one. There appears to be a small fluid cooler in the rear of the CVT (the cube with the fluid tubes and heat fins).

Enjoy.

Edit: Just noticed I had to shrink it down so much, the fins on the rear cooling block are not visible. They are finned though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rear fluid cooler closeup.

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
Wow, the difference between pics is amazing... I looked at the first one and thought, what the heck is Eric talking about, it looks like a holding tank or something... Then I scrolled down to the next pic. Totally different looking!

The other thing that caught my eye, is how polished the pulleys are... It's a thing of beauty.

·
Registered
522 Posts
That looks like a fluid to fluid intercooler, like they pump radiator water through there or something.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Eric,
I'd like to download the full picture, where do I go to get it? This is really really cool. I looked on the JATCO website and can't seem to be able to find it. Please post the URL. Thanks.

This just might be my next wallpaper!

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Wow pretty neat picture. Can you say "cooling needed".

I pictured the belts to be thicker and fater that what they actually are... pretty thin.

·
4,664 Posts
Don't forget they run under compression, so the little plates lock together to form a solid rod to transfer the power.

Pretty cool design and a lot better than Audi's chain...

If you look close, the belt's probably wider than it appears at first glance. The plates have steel bands running along each side, keyed into the plates.

Attachments

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
some more info on CVT

well here is some more detailed info for CVTs which i found really knowledgable.... hope it helps you guys ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MightyMo said:
That looks like a fluid to fluid intercooler, like they pump radiator water through there or something.
I agree. Thats exactly what it looks like. I am glad to also know the CVT has computer controlled temperature safeties that limit performance if the fluid gets too hot. On a normal automatic, you wouldn't know until you've cooked the tranny.

·
4,664 Posts
Yup, that's exactly what it does..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jaak,

Very interesting. So in addition to the cooling tank beneath the radiator, the little cooling fin box in the picture runs in series in on the same circuit. I cannot imagine it makes much of a difference, but I guess its better than not having one.

If I ever do a CVT fluid change myself, I may consider installing a transmission fluid cooler. Had a B&M supercooler on the Maxima and it was wonderful - easy to install, no leaks, and very durable.

·
4,664 Posts
I wonder if that would cool it too much? I seem to remember there were temperature requirements for the fluid to work at it's best. There's also at least one valve that controls it....

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Interesting reading.

I'd be curious to see a temp gauge hooked to the CVT just for grins. I've read optimal trans temp should be between 140-180. But that is on a conventional automatic.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Well, one thing that fluid intercooler will do is actually warm the tranny up if the radiator water temp rises faster than the tranny fluid temp (very likely, IMHO).

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GMTURBO43 said:
Interesting reading.

I'd be curious to see a temp gauge hooked to the CVT just for grins. I've read optimal trans temp should be between 140-180. But that is on a conventional automatic.
Operating temp for the CVT is 176F I believe.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Unless it has another radiator or have a transcooler built in to the radiator that is a seperate path from the engine radiator.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GMTURBO43 said:
Unless it has another radiator or have a transcooler built in to the radiator that is a seperate path from the engine radiator.
The transcooler beneath the radiator is a separate path from the radiator. In other words, CVT fluid flows through it, not coolant. The tank runs below the main radiator coolant tank and cools by contact to the tank I think. Thats the setup of most automatics.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I have read vairous things... just where would you drain the CVT to do the fluid change yourself? Where does it get refilled?

Interesting reading about the Honda CVT.... no torque converter, they use a dual clutch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts