Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen this before.... while in slow traffic I take my foot off the gas to slow down... braking is not necessary. Around 22 MPH when I slow apply a small amount of pressure on the gas pedal the MO accelerates slightly but jerks forward briefly.

Also noticed that while in Ds mode, with foot off the gas as the MO slows to about 20 MPH the RPMs drop from 2000 to 1000 then back up to 1200. This also causes the MO to jerk while this occurs.

Any suggestions? Is this normal behavior? I would expect smooth operations and would expect something like this after the car is like 10 years old. :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Recall to come shortly.

Take it to the dealer. My best friend had a similar issue - although his was more extreme. Problem ended up being the alternator was too small for the Murano (expect a recall very shortly for this), the tow truck guy said it was the second Murano he picked up that day with the same symptoms! After the new alternator his Murano has been fine.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will and let you know what I find. I have an appointment on Monday.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
What's the alternator got to do with this problem?

Homer

·
4,664 Posts
That is too weird and makes no sense at all...

I agree, what does the alternator have to do with that!

Sometimes I get the feeling some of these customer service reps just make up things...

Yes sir, it's the Framastatz in the whojackamapivyrollerthingeratz that was the cause.... But we've replaced it under warranty and everything should be fine, unless you leave the glove box open for more than 20 seconds in three minute intervals on a tuesday.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'll give it a shot.

Computer program. Engine braking - slows vehicle down. RPM's go down. RPM's hit 1000 - vehicle moving - engine won't go under 1000 rpm with car speed above X. Computer bumps RPM back up.

Try this - put car in Neutral at say 20mph - see where your tach goes. Most of the time - you will have a different RPM for vehicle moving and vehicle stopped. We'll say - 750 RPM with the car in N - stopped - 1200 RPM moving. Just guessing.

As far as the jump you feel hitting the gas - the transmission is going to try to match trans speed to vehicle speed. Gas goes down - engine speed goes up - trans is in a 'neutral' state under no load - then gets load - torque convertor does its job and makes you go forward.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I admit it is strange. But the D2 issue can't be explained... not reason for it to "fall" off from 2000 RPM the climb back to 1200 while me speed is be reduced very slowly. I would love to show you a video of this little experience.

As for the other jerk, car is brand new... should not be doing this. I've seen this in my older car, with man trans... when new it was OK as the car got older I found that when my foot was off the gas and I slowed down it would just a bit. Its seems the MO is aging before its time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look guys I know it sounds weird, but the tow truck driver said the first instance was alternator related. When he towed my friends Murano to the dealer sure enough, they replaced his alternator as well and he has had no problems since. Gonzo, in any case, please keep us informed of the outcome. My friends symptoms were like yours only much more dramatic, it would jerk and not let him accelerate past 10mph!!! Too weird.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ah... finally someone who experiences MY "problem"...

1. The "RPM jump" .. where you're engine breaking down to 20/15 MPH and suddenly the engine breaking cuts out (releases), your tach jumps down from 1000 to about 500 then quickly back up to 1000. Yeah. This happens all the time, except when I first start out after the vehicle has sat for a while. After a bit of driving, the RPM jump kicks in if I decide to coast to a stop.

It's more noticeable in Ds. You can really feel the CVT disengage at 15 MPH. As far as I have heard, this is normal function.

2. As for the other issue... I too have noticed it. I do a fair bit of engine breaking/coasting, so whenever I re-apply the gas (around 30 to 20 MPH), I can feel the torque converter linking up again. As far as I can tell.. again.. this is normal. Try this... see if it happens above 60 MPH. For me, it doesn't, and I think I know why... the engine braking (or as Nissan calls it, kickdown) does not go into effect if you're going over 60 MPH.

The "jerking forward" when re-applying the gas is PARTICULARLY rough right around the point where the CVT likes to disengage. That's below 20 MPH, usually at 15 MPH.

Any way you slice it... I don't think this is an alternator problem. I've fought with my dealership over it and they said they couldn't see a problem, no error codes, a factory rep drove it and, again, supposedly no problem. Nissan hooked up a black box to my MO and said the recorded output was normal. So.. I've taken it that this is not a bug as much as it is a weird feature of the CVT setup.

If you do take it to your dealer and they find a solution, by all means, PLEASE tell me!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You described it perfectly.... just like what I've experienced. I'll let you know what they tell me. Sounds like nothing but one never knows. Silly its as if they designed it and never drove it in a "real" situation to see how it would respond.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I fully agree. It is quirky behavior that doesn't seem 'right'.

It's been like this for nearly 10,000 miles now, so it apparently will not go away. That's another reason why I figure it is normal, because if something was failing and causing the weird sensations, it should have failed by now.

Keep me, and the entire board, posted with what you find out. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I experience the exact same thing you guys describe.

I notice allot of things that feel diffrent caused by my CVT (9000 miles). But not bad things. Nothing I have experienced has felt offensive, or "broken" to me. Just diffrent characteristics. I think we are programmed to expect it to feel more like a traditional geared "shifting" tranny. I worked in vehicle development for 9 years and I am amazed to see how seemless my CVT works.

Give it some time, try to get used to it, maybe some day it will make "shifting" transmissions feel unusual to you instead.

I am assuming that yours feels like mine. I can imagine if there is a problem that it would be much more obvious with a CVT, since the drivetrain is so "directly" connected...

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey mattsmurano,

You are right,I am not as worried about it... in fact I may not even hav the dealer look at it. However I don't think the car should jerk forward nor drop from 2000 RPM to 1000 then backup to 1200ish RPM all without braking or handling the gas. I think this was an over sight on the design if it is working "normally".

·
Registered
487 Posts
It's.. just plain strange. Maybe it'll eventually get worked out with a redesign, but who knows.

I also notice there's a lot of strain on the engine when the AC is on. "Shifting" .. ie, a change in RPMs, seems more noticeable when the AC compressor kicks on/off.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I chickenout... I didn't have the dealer look at it. I think its normal during these conitions. I'm a wimp. :(

·
Registered
487 Posts
Nah, you're not a wimp. I'm even reconsidering taking my MO in for window rattling, because I have a sinking feeling they'll either A) not do anything to fix it or B) attempt something and screw up the driver/passenger door somehow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts