Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 2004 Murano since January 2004. It has 13K miles on it. Tires are in great shape with 32psi all across the board. Generally I have been happy with it (except the rattles, ticks, etc.). However, last week I experienced a handling issue I have never experienced in any vehicle.

Last week I was driving to Las Vegas from San Diego - in the rain. Yep, we actually have had (for southern CA) A LOT of rain the past two weeks.

Anyway, I was in the fast lane heading north on the I-15. The freeway is the grooved concrete looking stuff. It was raining fairly hard. I was going 65MPH. At some points (probably deeper water running off) the steering wheel was jerking fairly roughly in my hands. So much so that I slowed down instantly. The problem persisted until I slowed down to about 50MPH. I felt VERY out of control. I have a FWD with VDC. I did not notice the VDC light coming on or anything to indicate slippage. But this was a very unnerving ride. It sort of felt like the transmission was jerking, but it is hard to say for sure.

This is my first FWD car. Previous vehicles were Land Cruiser, ML320, even a Ford Explorer. None acted like this.

I thought the lure to FWD was the handling in rain/snow? Is it a Goodyear Eagle issue? I don't have much faith that my dealer will do much about it, since I am sure they would not be able to replicate the problem.

Has anyone else had this kind of steering response in the rain? From what I have read on this board, it does not seem to be the case.

Thanks for any input I can get!

Mark

·
Registered
781 Posts
Every vehicle I've ever driven slows down/jerks when you drive through deeper water - especially if one tire is in wet and the other is on drier pavement.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sounds like you were hydroplaning. Some others have posted about this problem with the stock Goodyears. The VDC won't kick in instantly, there is a definite delay, so perhaps you did not stay in the plane long enough for it to register a 'slip'

1 - 3 of 3 Posts