Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the road far from home, but had a half hour to kill and was way due for an oil change, so I went to Jiffy Lube. I was observing through the office windor while they topped off the fluids. At the time, I assumed they topped off the brake fluid, but when I was brought to the bay I realized that they had topped off the CVT transmission fluid with normal tranmission fluid - they obviously didn't use the special CVT fluid. How bad is this? They only topped it off, so the mix is probably 80/20 CVT/transmission fluid, but I would have preffered if they left it alone. Thoughts? Should I flush it and have it re-filled properly at the Nissan dealer?

·
5,268 Posts
I would follow Enforcer's advise. Mixing ordinary oil with whatever is in the CVT may have detrimental effect in CVT. Don't delay and let everybody know how did you go. It may make an interesting story.

·
Registered
243 Posts
:eek:

There is a distinct sticker under hood, AND at fill tube WARNING against using no other oil but special CVT fluid.

This is abominal.

I agree, you need to go to dealer ASAP.

·
Registered
50 Posts
NEVER USE Jiffy Lube!!!!

Personally I would NEVER take your MO, much less your lawnmower to Jiffy Lube. They hire young inexperienced children to do the work that a professional should be doing.

A couple years ago my wife took her old 93 Mazda Miata to a Jiffy Lube for an oil change (against my wishes). When she left the Jiffy Lube she noticed her air-bag light was on. I took a look under the hood and some Jiffy Lube "child" had un-hooked both cables that power the air-bag system. And being these cables just don't come apart without effort and the fact that their was no reason the oil tec needed to remove or un-hook these cables, all I could come to the conclusion was this was a childish PRANK, and a prank that could have gotten my wife killed (had she been in a accident). In my opinion this is criminal, but hard to prove who did it.

So my advice to you and anyone else on this board that cares about your life and your car, NEVER USE JIFFY LUBE!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Did Jiffy Lube acknowledge that they added regular fluid? If so they are screwed. Take the bill from the dealer to Jiffy Lube. Also tell them that the CVT costs over $6000 dollars to replace and if the tranny is damaged they will have to eat those costs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am curious as to How Jiffy guys determined your MO was short on Transmission oil. There is not dipstick for tranny, as for as I know.

Or these Guys just FILL all the fluids, without checking.

I, for one, never had the misfortune to visit Jiffy Lube, I have heard enough horror stories.

As to admission, I very much doubt they are going to admit to haveing added trans oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They top off all fluids, so this is standard proceedure. If you take your Murano to Jiffy Lube, you can bet that you probably have automatic trans fluid in your CVT. The fact that they topped off the fluid is acknowleged on the reciept, so maybe I have some recourse - but I am not counting on it. I will let you all know what the Nissan dealer says...

Does anyone know how different CVT fluid is from standard AT fluid? Are the two at least similar?? I have put about 500 miles on the Murano since then, so hopefully it won't be too bad... Arrgghhh.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One thing to remember IF you choose to use these "on the go" lube places (some private ones do have a good reputation)...

Know your vehicle, and bring with you all genuine Nissan parts (i.e. oil filter and in this case CVT fluid). Make sure you watch them use your parts (especially the Nissan oil filter and CVT fluid).
When I owned my 300ZXTT, I made sure to bring my own Mobil 1 (15w/50), and Nissan oil filter. I also made sure they installed them, verses their cheep crap.

Just remember that the majority of these "on the go" lube places (especially the big commercial ones, Jiffy Lube, Econo Lube n' Tune, etc) hire untrained oil change monkeys. In most cases these guys are no different than a young pissed-off McDonald’s employee. They don't make much money, and seeing a person with a nice car or SUV that they can't afford themselves, just makes them more likely to screw-up. Today’s generation has a BIG chip on their shoulder, and many are lazy and could care less about others. And these commercial "on the go" lube places have big attorneys and lots of insurance, so taking your nice new $40k vehicle to them is no different than eating at a hole-in-the-wall taco stand in Mexico (i.e. don't be surprised if you get something goes wrong, because they won’t).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts