Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After selling the Typhoon I developed the 'need something fun to drive' bug. The Murano wasn't providing the cure. And leasing isn't for me (it was exactly what we needed when we bought the Murano - but things have changed in 3 years). We had another year on the lease and found that most dealers would be willing to do whatever they could to sell a car.

I wanted to go back to a car - manual, RWD or AWD, 0-60 in +/- 6 seconds. I had a list of 16 cars and one SUV I wanted to drive and/or look at. My wife narrowed my list down to 6 :) I added 4 to 'look at'.

In a nutshell...
GTO
G35 Coupe
Legacy GT Limited
Altima SE-R
Maxima SE 6-speed
Trailblazer SS (The lone SUV).

We set Monday aside to test drive cars. I honestly thought we end up with the Trailblazer SS (most Typhoon-like and the wifey wanted an SUV). I had driven it last week and could easily see making an exception.

After driving all but the Maxima 6-speed (which I was laughed at twice for even thinking about it) - the best for our needs was the Altima SE-R. The G35 was a very, very close second - the only killer was the back seat or lack thereof.

The performance numbers are very close to the G35. Motor Trend stats...

SER
0-60 = 5.9
0-100 = 14.7
1/4 = 14.5 @ 99.4
60-0 = 118 feet
Slalom = 66.8 mph

G35
0-60 = 5.9
0-100 = 14.2
1/4 = 14.4 @ 100.6
60-0 = 112 feet
Slalom = 66.7

Of course there are things that can't be measured that makes the G35 better - but for about $5K difference at MSRP and $8K with discounts - I'd manage.

My wife wasn't thrilled about losing the Murano - no more AWD (for the little snow we get and the fact there are too many cars for snow to even touch the ground). She called me after she left the house and leaves a message that went something like "Weeeeeee!!! This is FUN!!!" I think she'll get over it soon enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Zowee!

If it had been me, the GTO woulda been the one.
400 HP is nice.

The "challenge" for me and my wife is the height.
We are so used to being up high with a commanding view, we are not sure we can go back down on the deck.
Hope you don't get stuck in traffic behind too many SUVs..........

We are trying real hard not to go by a Jeep dealer.
They seem to have a Grand Cherokee SUV for sale over there....... With 420 HP...........that costs way too much money.........but we could afford..................
So we just keep talking about how "smoooooth" the Murano is...................And it is.

Good luck with the pocket rocket and don't forget to drop in now and then.:D

Homer

·
5,244 Posts
Congratulations and enjoy your new ride!

Homer,
a Jeep? Wven with 400HP I would not go for that. You are a car guy...........and Jeep is a truck.......my next car has to be RWD. I know it now. And has to have better handling than Murano.......so GTO? Maybe..............I guess it would be a sentimental buy....

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I'm with you on the ground floor seating thing Homer.
It's just sooo nice to swivel a little bit and step out---that's what I also liked about my mini vans. I always had the seats down all the way for that step out. I have to climb out of my wife's car.

That is a nice car Dave. :)
At least it has a VQ ;)

Ya'll stop tradin out ur MOs so I won't get the bug.
:2:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem with the GTO is things that have become a 'need' for us - and the GTO lacks two - sunroof and heated seats. I loved the sound and the torque. Certainly a nice aftermarket to make it faster.

The GC SRT8 is very very nice. I couldn't swing it without making a few sacrifices. Maybe it'll be the car payment after the SE-R is payed off.

My wife wanted to be 'up'. We have a 4Runner that is on 31" BFG Mud Terrains - it sits pretty damn high. She can drive it whenever she wants. Her drive is much shorter than it was (job change). She went from 40 miles a day to 5'ish. If she had a long commute - it wouldn't be a question - she'd have something more to her liking.

I'll still hang out here.

·
4,601 Posts
I like both the Altima (which I feel is a fabulous car, and not recognised as such) and the G35.

I do find it interesting how my big tank will stop faster. Those Brembos do work!

You're going to like the Altima, it's a great car. (You would have loved the SRT8 GC, as it hauls!)

The GTO? I love to hear it, but it's dissappointing to look at. IMHO of course!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jaak said:
I like both the Altima (which I feel is a fabulous car, and not recognised as such) and the G35.

There is the part of me that thinks "It's only an Altima." But then I drive it or look at it and think "Is that so wrong?" I really didn't want to go FWD - but when everything was considered it fits our needs best. It's the closest thing I'll have to a Z car anytime soon.

jaak said:

I do find it interesting how my big tank will stop faster. Those Brembos do work!

I was looking at the Road & Track numbers and was amazed at the stop times of the SRT Magnum. They were a few feet shorter than the SE-R. That's a lot more car to make stop!!

jaak said:
Pontiac added a bit too much of their styling to it. The Holden version looks amazing and the Pontiac version has a bit too much Grand Am. I could have gotten over it for a 6-speed and 400HP :) Nothing Grand Am about that.

·
5,244 Posts
GMTURBO43

you are right about the look. I just cannot understand why nobody at Pontic see how horrible their cars look. Holden had nice, clean look. Somebody at Pontiac decided it did not have enough "Pontiac spirit"...........what a shame.....

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
jaak said:
Exactly. The new "goat" has nothing to do with the original. Its an Australian sports car with the gas tank moved to meet American safetey standards. The GTO isn't back. They stuck three letters on a debadged car they found in some parking lot down under.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Is this going to be the EX owners Thread?

If so please let me be registered.

Grip

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
For the record, I Love my Altima and will go on record as saying this is the best I ever had. Huh? Where did I hear that before?
Anyway I bought the 3.5 Altima in 2002. It was the first time they took the car from the econo-box to a full blown performance sedan.
The Altima SER has some neat gages and other cool add-ons but is basically the same as my pup. On my test drive, I took her to a back road and dropped the hammer. I was immediately thrown back in my seat experiencing unbelievable acceleration. I was all smiles after that drive. I drove the 175 HP standard 2.5 litre but there was no going back after the 3.5 ride. I now have over 40K on that car. I have never had a problem of any kind. The gas mileage is mind blowing and hovers around 26 to 28 depending on the drive. They used to have a commercial on where a voice over exclaimed that it had more room than a Limo. Both front and back seats are spacious and comfortable.
Good choice and happy motoring.
Bob1

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

No need to register Grip. One day.....you and many of the others will be back and posting about your new Murano toy.

·
4,994 Posts
Who knows

bob1 said:

No need to register Grip. One day.....you and many of the others will be back and posting about your new Murano toy.
Stranger things than that have happened.

·
4,601 Posts
bob1 said:
For the record, I Love my Altima and will go on record as saying this is the best I ever had. Huh? Where did I hear that before?
Anyway I bought the 3.5 Altima in 2002. It was the first time they took the car from the econo-box to a full blown performance sedan.
The Altima SER has some neat gages and other cool add-ons but is basically the same as my pup. On my test drive, I took her to a back road and dropped the hammer. I was immediately thrown back in my seat experiencing unbelievable acceleration. I was all smiles after that drive. I drove the 175 HP standard 2.5 litre but there was no going back after the 3.5 ride. I now have over 40K on that car. I have never had a problem of any kind. The gas mileage is mind blowing and hovers around 26 to 28 depending on the drive. They used to have a commercial on where a voice over exclaimed that it had more room than a Limo. Both front and back seats are spacious and comfortable.
Good choice and happy motoring.
Bob1
I seriously considered an Altima after my Maxima but went with the Murano. A friend of mine did get one and still loves it! I think the Altima really does carry on the torch from what the Maxima used to be. Unlike the the current Maxima which was really changed from what a Maxima was.

Yes, it hauls!!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whoa Bob - that's great to hear. I, too, am really pleased with the performance. Once again - Nissan won my heart in the comparison tests.

My reasons for getting the SE-R (and justifying the extra coin)

6-speed manual versus 5-speed in the SE
Forged wheels 18" wheels (ever priced these?)
Seats

By the time I configured the SE with the stuff that comes standard on the SE-R (leather, sunroof, HIDs) it was close to the same price. Plus there are the little cosmetic differences (smoked head and taillights, different front fascia) that make it a little less different.

We took it on the first road trip - with 400 miles on the odometer we averaged 23.3 mpg @ 75 mph. I think the Murano was 18 on a similiar trip with the about the same mileage. At the end the Murano was getting 23 - so if we get another 5 mpg after it breaks in a bit more I'll be pleased.

I was reading about the NISMO cold air kit -

13 more peak HP
13.5 more ft/lb of torque
25 more hp @ 4800 rpm

AND...3 more MPG.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/august05/nismo_intake/

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
GMTURBO43, I really liked the photo. I think the Altima like the Mo both have great looking rears. I really expected issues as mine was a first year production of the new line up in 2002. Never had an issue. I'm happy that the same body still exists and there really is no rush to change it's good looking profile. Your MPG will absolutely increase as time goes by. I just love looking at that AVG digital readout saying stuff like 28.5MPG. Of course I only feed the Altima and my Mo the high test. It is also kind of familiar for me to pop both hoods in my garage and see that good ol 3.5 engine in both cars.
One more thing, I tried joining an Altima forum but dropped out. Just not the same as this one. Too much of that "hey newbie, we talked about that last week." type of stuff. So hang around here, like Grip, Jaak and all the others listed. Remember, your Altima is a really a MO in disguise. Many of the same features and underpinnings remain the same.
Good luck.
Bob1

·
4,994 Posts
Thanks bob will do!

Grip.

·
4,601 Posts
Ahhh... You guys are like family. Hmmm... Well OK, better than family. (Looked at your family lately?) But in spite of that, I still come back!;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts