Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've made the decision that I'll likely (90%) pick up a MO within the next couple of weeks; so my first post is almost a celebration. Currently I have a 99.5 Pathfinder, and will be trading that. So, I do have a couple of questions of the experts (you guys) before I make the plunge; the answers won't likely swing my opinion, but I just want to know:

So, I'm looking at a 2003 AWD SL with Sunroof, no navigation. Here are my questions:

- I've heard rumblings about transmission problems, CVT craps out. Are the rumblings true? How has Nissan dealt with them if true?
- How many KM's (I'm Canadian) will you get to a tank of gas - in real world driving? I keep hearing that MO offers the best gas mileage for SUV's; as a reference point, I get about 450KM's to a tank of gas on my Pathfinder.
- How much does it cost to fill the MO; Pathfinder is about $50 (I exclusively use premium gas).
- Does MO come standard with an outside temp gauge?
- Has anyone made the leap from a Pathfinder to a MO? If so, what were your thoughts?
- What is a fair CDN price for a used MO? I've seen them for about $30K; as cheap as $28K.

Thanks for you help!!!!
Scott.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There have been a few tranny failures mentioned but I don't recall any that weren't repaired or replaced under warranty.

I think the gas tank is 80 liters so 600 km per tank is possible.

The MO does have outside temp standard on the SL.

Changing from the Pathfinder to the MO, you are basically going from a truck to a car. You will give up offroad capability, ground clearance, four wheel drive but gain ride quality, cornering ability and style. I considered a 2005 Pathfinder briefly but don't need a third row seat.

As far as used prices there are lots of variables... mileage, condition , availability , retail or private sale etc. Local dealers here are asking 30K + for 2003's.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Trev.

If my memory is correct, Canada only gets the AWD version of the MO - is that correct?

No worries on giving up the off-road / clearance. I haven't taken my Pathfinder off road in +1 year. I do want the AWD for the snow however...

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
crash said:
Hi folks,

I've made the decision that I'll likely (90%) pick up a MO within the next couple of weeks; so my first post is almost a celebration. Currently I have a 99.5 Pathfinder, and will be trading that. So, I do have a couple of questions of the experts (you guys) before I make the plunge; the answers won't likely swing my opinion, but I just want to know:

So, I'm looking at a 2003 AWD SL with Sunroof, no navigation. Here are my questions:

- I've heard rumblings about transmission problems, CVT craps out. Are the rumblings true? How has Nissan dealt with them if true?
- How many KM's (I'm Canadian) will you get to a tank of gas - in real world driving? I keep hearing that MO offers the best gas mileage for SUV's; as a reference point, I get about 450KM's to a tank of gas on my Pathfinder.
- How much does it cost to fill the MO; Pathfinder is about $50 (I exclusively use premium gas).
- Does MO come standard with an outside temp gauge?
- Has anyone made the leap from a Pathfinder to a MO? If so, what were your thoughts?
- What is a fair CDN price for a used MO? I've seen them for about $30K; as cheap as $28K.

Thanks for you help!!!!
Scott.
To answer a few of your questions.

1) No major CVT problems reported. If anything, the alternator failures on 03 and 04 models are more troubling.
2) EPA mileage estimates are very optimistic. I don't get close to the 20/24 on the sticker. More like 16/21. These are US MPG figures. The Murano should get better mileage than your Pathfinder.
3) The cost to fill the tank depends on how much is left is in the tank! I fill up with I have about 3-4 gallons remaining. Its a 21.7 gallon tank, so 18 gallons at $2.25 (I live in the midwest US) = $40.50.
4) Yes the MO has a standard outside temp guage, prominently displayed on the info screen.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am not sure what was offered in 2003, but in'04 and '05 the SL was/is available in both AWD and FWD. The SE in 2004 had both AWD and FWD but AWD only for 2005.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Just 1 thing to note about gas mileage:

leadfeet = so so gas mileage.

I actually don't do too bad considering my commute over a mix of city stop and start combined with highway miles. My average is anywhere between 18.2 to 18.6 if I lighten up.

But hell, it's so much fun to go 100 on the open stretches, I just can't complain about poor mileage at all. I am an habitual 80mph driver most of the highway miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts