Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought an 09 Murano LE everything perfect except the check engine code which I checked myself using the gas pedal trick , 0463 code shows up.

which is concerning the fuel level sensor.

It is true that sometimes my gas gauge indicates an empty tank , then goes back to normal.

So it does have to do with the Fuel level sensor.

Ive checked online but I cant find out if I have to change the full gas pump, just the sensor, etc.

Anyone had this problem ?

thank you

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is common problem on Muranos - fuel sensor inside the gas tank is not working properly (there are 2 of them).

Great DYI is here:
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/68-maintenance/15662-fuel-level-sending-unit.html
I used it to do mine 3 years ago, $200 for OEM part and 6 easy hours in the garage. I tried to clean it first, it did not helped, so I bought the part and installed it, so far all is working well.

The good part - it is basically a cosmetic problem, which does not affect driving, you can drive your car forever with this code, just have to reset odometers after each fill up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot for the help, is it for sure that it is that part that I have to change? since you tell me there are 2 sensors. its weird cause even when my gas tank shows empty it gives me a low fuel warning but with the good mileage left, example .: Empty fuel gauge, warning comes one : only 300 miles left on tank! which is a bit weird, it always reads good the mileage left , but not the actual fuel gauge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, there are 2 holes under the rear seat with sensor only on the right side and pump-sensor on the left (driver) side. So I had to figure out which one of them was bad.
(parts #1 and #4 on the picture)

Sorry for quoting myself:
Just replaced sending unit based on the great info from this thread.
Couple of notes (Murano 2009):
Part # for passenger side unit 25060-CA01C
Part # for driver side unit 25060-CA00C

Passenger side unit is connected to a main unit (hoze & wiring) so in order to change it I had to open both sides and pull out both units - secondary (pass. side) and primary (on the pump). After that I installed new 2-ndary unit, put all inside, slightly closed hatches and turned ignition to test fuel gauge. It worked - so I didn't have to change the main unit (which is $240 Cad)

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/attachments/maintenance/16289d1291596776-fuel-level-sending-unit-dsc00187.jpg

Total time first time - several hours, with 90% of work is removal of back seats and opening 2 hatches on the fuel tank.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I suspect my fuel pump might be going too. Every time I fill the car the fuel gauge always ends up above the F. When I bought my MO in 2011 the gauge was lucky to even hit F with a full tank.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I suspect my fuel pump might be going too. Every time I fill the car the fuel gauge always ends up above the F. When I bought my MO in 2011 the gauge was lucky to even hit F with a full tank.
Mine always goes above the F in both of my Muranos.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks alot , do you have the link to the sensor on amazon i need ? 2009 Murano LE I have. ill order and tell my mechanic to install it . thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the best way to figure out which one of the 2 sensor is the problem ? I want to order online

·
Registered
20 Posts
What is the best way to figure out which one of the 2 sensor is the problem ? I want to order online
I had time so I used "try and see" method. Bought passenger side sensor, installed it - it worked. If not - I would have bought driver side sensor after that and install it too. I tried to test it with ohm-meter - to no avail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had time so I used "try and see" method. Bought passenger side sensor, installed it - it worked. If not - I would have bought driver side sensor after that and install it too. I tried to test it with ohm-meter - to no avail.
so no option to change both? Its kinda costly here in canada, 150$ each sensor which comes to 300$

·
Registered
100 Posts
As the fuel level reading plays up on below a quarter of a tank, is the faulty sensor likely to be the "Sub fuel level sensor unit" . Part 1 in the diagream above ???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts