Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She just called to get more details because they are opening an investigation into the failure complaints about Muranos.

Anyone else got a call? Looks like somethings may be happening.

Kelly

·
Registered
470 Posts
The NHSTA site opened up an investigation of the Murano alternator failure on November 19th. The write up mentioned Nissan open field reports identifying an open rotor coil condition.

NHTSA Action Number : PE04077 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Make : NISSAN Model: MURANO
Manufacturer : NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC. Year : 2004
Component : ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Date Investigation Opened : November 19, 2004
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
ODI HAS RECEIVED FOURTEEN (14) REPORTS OF ALLEGED ENGINE STALLING DUE TO ALTERNATOR FAILURE ON 2003 AND 2004 NISSAN MURANO VEHICLES. ELEVEN (11) COMPLAINANTS REPORTED THAT THE ENGINE SHUT OFF AND THAT THE VEHICLE WOULD NOT RESTART AND HAD TO BE TOWED. THREE (3) COMPLAINANTS REPORTED THAT ALTHOUGH THE ENGINE DID NOT SHUT OFF, THE VEHICLE WOULD NOT ACCELERATE, WOULD ROLL TO A STOP, AND COULD NOT BE RESTARTED. MOST OF THE COMPLAINANTS REPORTED THAT THE VEHICLE STALLED WHILE THEY WERE TRYING TO ACCELERATE. ODI HAS ALSO RECEIVED FIFTEEN (15) CONSUMER COMPLAINTS INVOLVING ALTERNATOR FAILURES THAT DID NOT RESULT IN ENGINE STALL. ODI HAS ALSO REVIEWED A NUMBER OF NISSAN FIELD REPORTS IDENTIFYING AN OPEN ROTOR COIL CONDITION IN THE ALTERNATORS USED IN SUBJECT VEHICLES. COMPLAINANTS REPORTED FAILURE MILEAGES RANGING FROM 1,600 TO 39,000 MILES. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO DETERMINE ANY SCOPE, FREQUENCY, AND POTENTIAL SAFETY-RELATED CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT.

·
5,244 Posts
Very interesting.
The open coil condition – here goes the theory of diodes failure. If it really is coil failure the root case is most likely a manufacturing defect. Probably it has nothing to do with heat.

Anyway, we need to thanks Sugar for this. His persistency has been awarded.

Thanks Sugar!!!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I guess if we really want action, more of the failures have to be reported. Looks like only 14 to date. Whrer are all you guys???

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Then they would know where they are stranded at. GRIP :D

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Wow, if I had known that the NAv worked with a dead battery I WOULD have gotten one.............

Kris how do you get from an open coil to a manufacturing defect?

Homer

·
4,601 Posts
Open Coil! I'd go with manufacturing defect or poor design. Either way, that's the first I've heard of an alternator dying from that. That should be one of the most robust areas of it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
ekaxel said:
I guess if we really want action, more of the failures have to be reported. Looks like only 14 to date. Whrer are all you guys???
I agree. With currently 64 reported failures in the poll, and 105 failures in the list, can't we do better than 14 reports to the NHTSA? I know it takes a few minutes, but more reports are likely needed to provide enough information and justification for a recall. Working together, maybe we really can get this problem solved and finally stop worrying about things like alternators and get back to enjoying our Muranos!

·
5,244 Posts
hfelknor said:
Wow, if I had known that the NAv worked with a dead battery I WOULD have gotten one.............

Kris how do you get from an open coil to a manufacturing defect?

Homer
An alternator is a very simple device:
- stator with windings (coils)
- rotor (field winding and sliprings)
- bearings
- rectifier and voltage regulator

Mechanically, the bearings are the weakest point. And usually they fail or the brushes (normal wear).

Rectifiers (silicon elements) most common failure mode is overheating caused either by excessive temperature or over-currents.

Coils can fail because of overcurrents or manufacturing defects (voids etc.). Sometimes insulation fails. But in that case we would see “fault to ground”.

Somebody mentioned “open coil” – we can only speculate what does it mean as if an untrained tech made measurements at terminals and saw high resistance he might have concluded the “open coil” condition. Anyway, if the failure mode really is open coil I stand by manufacturing or design error with the former being more likely.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
In reply to Kris:

Very interesting.
The open coil condition – here goes the theory of diodes failure. If it really is coil failure the root case is most likely a manufacturing defect. Probably it has nothing to do with heat.
Anyway, we need to thanks Sugar for this. His persistency has been awarded.
Thanks Sugar!!!
It would not be possible without the help of you all.
I am just merely, a conduit ....:4:

·
4,601 Posts
I heard someone with a crystal ball say that once. Maybe you have hidden talents!;)

·
Registered
416 Posts
zofsuvs - keep in mind a good number of reported failures are Canadian vehicles...out of the NHTSA jurisdiction.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Good point. I still think there's plenty more people posting here from the US who could submit a report, though. Takes time, but worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
it is now time for everyone with a loose driver's seat to file a complaint about that. this is a huge safety defect! if rear ended, the weekness in the seat could cause it to collapse. i'll be submitting mine this week-end via mail with a video tape of the looseness.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
That and the loos of steering control.. I filed one for that... it doesn't happen often but when it does if you don't expect it... look out! :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Just received a multipage quastioner from NHTSA. Have not had a chance to read it carefully but they want to formalize the complaint I filed about the steering problem. I will be adding the seat problem to it since it just showed up.

This steering problem can be very serious and you ALL (03 & 04 owners) have it. While parked with engine running, turn the steering wheel sharply to one side and try to return it to its original position rapidly. You will see what I mean. Just be careful not to hurt your wrist as I did!

·
4,994 Posts
Don't forget the Altenator! GRIP :D

·
4,994 Posts
Maybe you can't but you could drop in a note for NHTSA to view our alternator pole. GRIP :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts