Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still just getting used to my Mo. I haven't even had it 2 weeks yet and only have 400 km (250 miles) on it. Today I was traveling along, listening to my excellent stereo and not paying any attention to my speedometer until I saw the cop with the radar set up under the bridge. It was just then I looked down and realized I was travelling 90 km in a 50 km zone. I was just soooo lucky he had already pulled over 2 people.
The Mo seems so smooth it flies without giving it much gas. I have to get used to that. I guess that's what they call "POWER". I don't have much opportunity to use that power here in the city. I'll have to drive out to a country road and really let her out!

:2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2:

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I have the same problem. I think it's the CVT. In other cars you can hear the constant engine noise to let you know your speed is constant, so you don't have to continuously check the speedo. Even more so in a manual transmission, which I've always driven, because once you know your car your subconsious knows the gear and engine noise to judge how fast you're going.

With the CVT, though, your engine can sound the same whether you're going 60mph or 90mph!

I have almost 3000 miles on mine now, and I still get surprised every time I glance down to check my speed. Thankfully no tickets yet, though.

·
4,664 Posts
Well, ella, you wouldn't be the first copper murano owner in Toronto to get a ticket within a couple of months of getting it.

March 2003, northbound Royal York Rd. going under the bridge at Dundas... They sit on the hill after the underpass, because you can't see them until they already have you! I normally take it easy, because I know they're there, but this time, someone came swinging out from the ramp off Dundas, so I gassed it to make sure they didn't come into the side of me.

BAM! Down a slope with instant CVT response and there's your ticket sir.:mad:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These guys were sitting on Eglinton just west of Don Mills. Scary stuff! I hate speeding tickets, they waste my time in court!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It isn't the power.
It's the smoothness.
I still have in the family a 4 door sedan that can spit the Murano out anytime it desires and out run it by 35MPH on top end.
And That's not the most powerful HomerMobile.
BUT, It snorts and roars while doing that. It lurches and jerks and you KNOW you are in a rocket.

But when I was going thru LA and slipped it over into S the other day and whoosh, I was at 90......I jammed the brake as the radar detector` went off.
I slunk by the La Patrol at 62 (in a 60).
He was grinning at me.
He had me if he wanted me.
Nice guy.

If I hadn't already called it "The Gold Rush" I would rename it "The Big Easy".

Yep. It's the smoothness.
From the perennially rated best engine in the world to the CVT and 18" roller bearings that we call wheels, it's just smooth.

Just be careful out there.
Getting a ticket is NOT the worst thing that can happen while driving a car faster than you think you are going.

Homer

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
ella138 said:
These guys were sitting on Eglinton just west of Don Mills. Scary stuff! I hate speeding tickets, they waste my time in court!
i was in toronto this wednesday and saw a pull-off at that intersection......

i escaped a ticket right on 401 westbound after cambridge.... thanks to couple of 18 wheelers who shed me while the cop had to make a u-turn and then get back to me.....

but i must say, drivers in ontario are harsh..... or it could be me who takes it easy while driving....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats why I am using Passport 8500

What is that, sounds like I should get it!

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
ella138 said:

What is that, sounds like I should get it! [/B]
its a radar detector... one awesome piece of techology but un-luckily its not allowed in Ontario. my brother and father in law had them and OPP now can detect it with their new technology (though it was Cobra 10-band radar in both cases).

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, RADAR detector detectors can detect the RADAR detector's local oscillator leaking out...

Although there are now single chip direct conversion circuits possible, so someone might make an undetectable detector.

Too bad I was nailed by laser.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its a radar detector... one awesome piece of techology but un-luckily its not allowed in Ontario
bummer:(

·
4,664 Posts
Yet, we make them here...:mad:

·
Enjoying the ride…
465 Posts
I belive the Passport 8500 has a V2 technology. It makes it invisible to the detectors of the radar detectors ( i hope it make sence):20:

·
4,664 Posts
The funny thing is, I could use a $60,000 instrument that does the same thing and they wouldn't be able to do a thing about it, because it's not a "RADAR detector".

Or I could gut a one and repackage it and say "No officer, this is a 10 GHz field strength meter, it's not a RADAR detector... Here's my amatuer radio operator's certification. If you like, we can contact Industry Canada and talk to one of their radio experts as to if it's legal to possess a 10 GHz field strength meter. Hey, I used to be one of those, perhaps I can save you the time! Uh, no, looks like a field strength meter to me, perfectly legal..."

:D

So far, I've found that doing my best to not speed excessively, works well too. I've yet to be pulled over for anything less than 15 Km over the limit.

Are other places very strict on the speed?

I bet there's a lot of detectors in Ontario being used...

Beltronics is an Ontario Canada company and has been for decades...

https://www.beltronics.com/cp/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=454785&rnd=7719181&pg=contact

·
Registered
79 Posts
Very strict in Japan.

Here is an example of fines.

15 kph over - 1 point and 9,000yen fine
15-20kph - 1 point and 12,000 yen fine
20-25kph - 2 points and 15,000 yen fine
25-30kph - 3 points and 18,000 yen fine
30-35kph - 3 points and 25,000 yen fine
35-40kph - 3 points and 35,000 yen fine
40-50kph - 6 points and fine/final penalty decided by courts
50kph - 12 points and fine/final penalty decided by courts

I think it is automatic loss of license at 12 points.

My co-worker drives weekend rallies and sometimes forgets that he is not racing. He got caught doing and excessive speed (story varies) on a highway. He got his picture taken by one of the VERY efficient automated radar systems here and the ticket was mailed to him along with his notice of license suspension and an invitation to talk with the police at his local office.

He lost his license for 60 days. Would have been 90 but he agreed to take remedial classes to shorten penalty.

I will do some pictures of the automated systems here this week. They have a flash system that leaves very little doubt that you have been tagged. Hopefully I won't.

Most of the radar detectors sold here have GPS mode which has the coordinates of all the fixed traps in Japan. They also monitor frequencies used for relays and the GPS beacon used by police cars and a bunch of other things that indicate use of radar. I will post pictures/specs of these units tomorrow.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yep. radar detectors are great when they work. In my case a cop was hanging on an overpass and saw me fly by. I didn't pick him up right away and was doing about 86 mph. He decided to pace me and caught up to me about a quarter mile away and was pissed because it took him so long to catch up with me. All I saw was a car coming off the offramp, no lights or sirens, but he was moving fast. At first I thought it was some joker who wanted to play a game and try and pass me. This was about 5:30 a.m., no traffic, so I opened it up a bit.

·
4,664 Posts
Officer, I'm so glad you are here...

I don't know what to do, this stupid floor mat keeps getting stuck on the accelerator pedal!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Last time I opened it up a bit was 2:00AM on Rt90 doing 90 MPH. Not only did I get a ticket but that was when I learned it was illegal to drive with fogs on when the wx conditions don't support it here in MASS... another $20 slap in the face for the fogs being on. Bad night for me.

·
4,664 Posts
Now that's interesting.... I didn't get a ticket for driving with the "fogs" on when I was there with my Murano. And I can't turn them off, unless I turn on the headlights, but I don't normally

So I was driving around with nothing but the fogs on, during the day, since those are the DRL in Canada!

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
jaak said:
Now that's interesting.... I didn't get a ticket for driving with the "fogs" on when I was there with my Murano. And I can't turn them off, unless I turn on the headlights, but I don't normally

So I was driving around with nothing but the fogs on, during the day, since those are the DRL in Canada!
thats probably because the cops would have been intelligent enough to read your license plate before pulling you over. as soon as he would have saw ONTARIO.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts