Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased from Curtin Sheen at United Nissan. Very nice guy, and shipped as soon as it was available (it was on backorder for a couple days).

Install was very easy, just like my Maxima. You remove the airbox, which is, surprisingly, held in by just one 10mm bolt (the Maxima had like 4 or 5 bolts). Having read Tyler_Canada's post about the clips, I was very careful with them, and having disengaged 5 out of 6, I decided oh what the heck, I'll pull the thing apart. Bad idea. The 6th clip snapped off. Not a big deal though, but kind of a thorn in an otherwise clean process.

I found that mounting the bracket on the top side MAF bolt that is closer to the cabin gave me plenty of clearance to mount the filter without it touching anything. Originally I used the bottom bolt, but that mounted the filter very high, and rubbed slightly against the frame. The mounting choices are limited, since you have to use the original bolt hole that the stock airbox is mounted to.

JWT uses a new blue cone with an element on the center as well. The older JWT cones used a K&N filter without the center element, similar to a Stillen intake. The velocity stack adapter is the same high quality aluminum "brick" JWT has been using for years. Very nice.

Driving impressions - wow this thing is much louder than the older JWT cone I have in my 97 Maxima - and the Maxima even has an aftermarket ypipe and aluminum midpipe after the MAF. Below 3000rpm, its almost as quiet as stock. Above 4000, its quite loud and will attract attention, particularly since the CVT doesn't rev linearly, so you won't get a nice rising snarl, but rather a sustained growl (which, while nice, is decidedly unsporty). I have not had a chance to drive it much yet but throttle response seems very nice (definitely not any worse than stock, considering often cones give up a little low end for better high end).

·
Registered
763 Posts
Eric how about a picture of the install?

Will you try to add a screen?

·
Registered
54 Posts
ya it does sound nice, we had put that on my car and while back, than we had put the Z tube on the car.......and above 2000 rpm it has a niicee growl.......and once you get up to red line wow its loud lol!!

·
The Member
104 Posts
I love mine too :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yup yup, love mine. If you're good with your sub 2000RPM economical driving you can basically forget it's there completely until you need to pass somebody and it wails it's sweet song for you. :4:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Eric L. said:
...Above 4000, its quite loud and will attract attention, particularly since the CVT doesn't rev linearly, so you won't get a nice rising snarl, but rather a sustained growl (which, while nice, is decidedly unsporty)...
How about "manually shifting" your SE for a little more "traditional" sound?

BTW -- pardon my ignorance here, but what exactly IS a pop charger?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Usually called a CAI these days, stands for Cold Air Intake. I.E. pulling out the stock airbox and tubing and stuff and replacing it with a free flowing reusable cone filter.

Here's what the dyno data looks like, click the pick to read the full write-up:

·
Registered
629 Posts
MightyMo said:
Usually called a CAI these days, stands for Cold Air Intake. I.E. pulling out the stock airbox and tubing and stuff and replacing it with a free flowing reusable cone filter.

Here's what the dyno data looks like, click the pick to read the full write-up:
OK... I didn't realize a pop charger and a CAI were the same thing. So the pop charger kit gives more benefit than just replacing the stock air filter with, say, a K&N drop-in filter replacement...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yes, you aren't forcing the air to go through all the stock air piping so it should be much better than just a freer flowing filter.

However, all those long stock tubes do 3 important things:

They get truly COLD air from outside the engine compartment, which the JWT CAI does not.

They have traps and stuff built in to take out any water thay may have actually somehow reached up high enough to get sucked in.

They have what is essentually a muffler to quite down the raspy loud intake valve sound.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Technically the JWT cone is not a cold air intake, since it does not come with piping to route it to a location with cooler air, or a mounting solution such as in the wheel well or bumper opening. I would just call it an intake.

I took some pictures last night, and will try to post it tonight when I get to downloading them.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I've heard them called WAI (warm air intake) and short ram intakes. I just call it an intake too.

When I installed mine, I left the scoop that goes between the hood and the body, as it has a tube that will send more cool air to the filter area once the vehicle is moving.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: Just put in the JWT pop charger

special-k said:

How about "manually shifting" your SE for a little more "traditional" sound?

BTW -- pardon my ignorance here, but what exactly IS a pop charger?

2003 SE has no manual shift. POP is what Jim Wolf Technologies (JWT) called "performance optimized program" - absolutely meaningless other than sounding kind of cool. The pop charger is JWT's cone intake. Its a very high quality unit, better than what you will find on ebay. The velocity stack is smoothly machined and the cone is much larger than the ebay cones.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The pop-charger is the best defense against mice I've seen so far.

·
Registered
103 Posts
:D :D :D I Love mine too. The sound just keeps growing on you. I don't think I would enjoy the MO as much without it.:2:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Install pics. 1 of 5.

Stock airbox. Boooring!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Install pics. 2 of 5. Upper airbox removed. Notice no screen on the MAF.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Install pic. 3 of 5. Old K&N panel filter, after ~5000 miles. Still pretty clean, except for the bugs on the right side (ewww).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Install pic 4 of 5. Lower airbox removed. Velocity stack adapter installed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Install pic 5 of 5. Cone installed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After a couple days of driving, the intake has quieted down. Most likely the computer has adjusted to my driving patterns after the reset. Its nearly as quiet as stock now. As such, I have no hesitations whatever recommending this to every Murano owner. Below 3500 rpm, its barely audible, above that, well, thats when you want to be heard!

Enjoy the ride, people. :cool:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts