Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you really have to service your MO at the dealership, or your can go to an independant mechanic?

2005 SL TOURING
1700 miles

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Of course you do not have to go the dealer. Just keep receipts of your independent shop repairs in case you ever need to make a warranty claim with Nissan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when I was getting the car they said that you only have to come to the dealer. My car is lease, maybe that is the case?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I don't think it applies to the lease either. But then I've never leased a car, so I don't know. Anyone else know here? Jaak??

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have to LMAO at the manufacturers and dealers for trying to make us think we have to use their parts and labor to keep the warranty in tact. Its a play to sell parts and service. If you use their parts and labor it will be easier to get a claim adjusted but its not mandatory. If they tell you it is, its a flat out lie.

MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY IMPROVEMENT ACT

United States Code Annotated
Title 15 Commerce and Trade
Chapter 50 Consumer Product Warranties
15 Section 2302

“(c) No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection be waived by the commission if:

1) The warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.”

This is your lifesaver for purchasing "after market" products.

Under no circumstances may any company or associate, salesperson or service technician deny you service or warranty work that would otherwise be covered under the warranty program.

What this boils down to is this:
They can not void your warranty for using after market products or labor.

What it does not cover it damage caused by the use of after market products or labor.

Here is some fun reading.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
FastEddy said:
I have to LMAO at the manufacturers and dealers for trying to make us think we have to use their parts and labor to keep the warranty in tact. Its a play to sell parts and service. If you use their parts and labor it will be easier to get a claim adjusted but its not mandatory. If they tell you it is, its a flat out lie.

MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY IMPROVEMENT ACT

United States Code Annotated
Title 15 Commerce and Trade
Chapter 50 Consumer Product Warranties
15 Section 2302

“(c) No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection be waived by the commission if:

1) The warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.”

This is your lifesaver for purchasing "after market" products.

Under no circumstances may any company or associate, salesperson or service technician deny you service or warranty work that would otherwise be covered under the warranty program.

What this boils down to is this:
They can not void your warranty for using after market products or labor.

What it does not cover it damage caused by the use of after market products or labor.

Here is some fun reading.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm
This is only true if you use an "aftermarket equivalent" product. If you add an aftermarket performance product to your car that somehow modifies it, the manufacturer can void the warranty for that part. One example is the JWT cone filter (or any intake). An oil charged filter could lead (remotely) to a fouled MAF sensor and Nissan will not warranty that part. Also, if you get 20" rims and end up with a bad wheel bearing, thats also excepted from the warranty agreement.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Eric L. said:

This is only true if you use an "aftermarket equivalent" product. If you add an aftermarket performance product to your car that somehow modifies it, the manufacturer can void the warranty for that part. One example is the JWT cone filter (or any intake). An oil charged filter could lead (remotely) to a fouled MAF sensor and Nissan will not warranty that part. Also, if you get 20" rims and end up with a bad wheel bearing, thats also excepted from the warranty agreement.
Correct....
Hence my 2nd statement.
What it does not cover is damage caused by the use of after market products or labor.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
FastEddy said:

Correct....
Hence my 2nd statement.
I just wanted to clarify the distinction between "aftermarket replacement" and "aftermarket performance." A lot of people try to argue that the Moss act can be used to argue that performance parts do not void warranty, which isn't true.

But yes, any parts your independent mechanic will install as part of routine maintenance, should not void the warranty.

It is interesting to note that a recent TSB from Nissan states that Nissan will not warranty MAF sensor replacement unless a genuine nissan filter was used. I can understand this would be the case if someone used say, a K&N or Weapon R intake. But what if they used a Purolator or Fram paper filter? That should certainly not void the warranty but the TSB seems to suggest otherwise.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you use an STP Oil filter rather then a NIS it will not void the warranty. If it is found that the STP oil filter caused the damage then it will not be covered.

Funny story and a point to be looked at.

I had an Epson C82 printer that had a known Cyan head issue. The Cyan head would quit working due to a bad circuit design. It was a documented issue with Epson Tech.

I brought it in to the service center for repair. A few days later they called and said the failure was due to using non Epson brand cartridges.

I picked it up and took the cartridges out and replaced them with OEM and dropped it back off the next day. A few days later I got a call from the tech saying they had a replacement printer being drop shipped to my office.

Using only OEM parts leaves no question as to who is to blame but you will pay a premium

1 - 9 of 9 Posts