Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a Q&N filter in my 2005 MO and I noticed that my mileage dropped from about 20 - 24 mpg to about 18 - 20 mpg. I emailed K&N and they told me to disconnect the battery for an hour. I did this and it's still reading the same. Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I go back to my stock exhaust.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I put a K&N filter in a 2000 Durango which was a gas hog to start with and noticed an increase in performance - it just seemed to have a little more pep. However MPG decreased. In my mind increased performance does not always equate to increased MPG.

I have to assume that by K&N suggesting you disconnect the battery, they think the MO's MPG calculation is suspect. However other threads on this forum tend to indicate it is fairly accurate.

I suggest you reset the MPG and drive with the K&N for another week. Then, hoping you still have the original filter, swap it for the K&N, reset MPG to zero again and check the result after another week of happy MOtoring

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
With a performance mod like the K&N, you will get either a performance increase or a mileage increase, not both. If you use the extra power provided by more air, you're also requiring more fuel to complete the equation.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:
If you use the extra power provided by more air, you're also requiring more fuel to complete the equation.
Well said, I can't pass up on the occasional fun factor with my JWT Pop Charger........and when I do it costs me for sure. As a matter of fact, driving habits in my travels in Toronto and all around Ontario can range from 450 km. per tank fo fuel to as high as just over 800 km. per tank fo fuel......quite the difference!

:2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts