Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone have a K&N filter on their MO? If so, did it make any difference....meaning more power, better fuel, different sounds....I guess the question is, should I get one, and if I do, what should I expect?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
I've got one. I can't say it gave me any more power (although it did feel a little more peppy). I have a K&N in all 3 of my vehicles, I like the fact that I can service the filters with one kit. The filter fit perfectly with no trimming. For me it was work the 30 something dollars.
 

·
SHIFT_FASTER
Joined
·
1,437 Posts
crash said:
Hi all,

Does anyone have a K&N filter on their MO? If so, did it make any difference....meaning more power, better fuel, different sounds....I guess the question is, should I get one, and if I do, what should I expect?

Thanks.
You might get a slight increase in power or mileage (not both), but it's probably not noticeable. However, you won't be wasting money and landfill space, because the filters are washable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
Re: Re: K&N Filter

Tyler_Canada said:


You might get a slight increase in power or mileage (not both), but it's probably not noticeable. However, you won't be wasting money and landfill space, because the filters are washable.
I agree with Tyler, you will also save money in the long run by re-using and cleaning the same air filter also you will not have to worry about looking for the filter if it is not in stock.
 

·
Love to live w/ MO
Joined
·
419 Posts
ok guys, i was interested in that too, but what about warranty ?
i heard , while cleaning if (by accident) you put more oil and it goes into the air-intake of MO, it can cause some damage (not covered by warranty) to the car as well.

thats the only fact holding me back from getting that one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
hasaanbhutta said:
ok guys, i was interested in that too, but what about warranty ?
i heard , while cleaning if (by accident) you put more oil and it goes into the air-intake of MO, it can cause some damage (not covered by warranty) to the car as well.

thats the only fact holding me back from getting that one.
You are probably correct about the lack of warranty protection, however if you follow the directions there will be no problem. I have been using K&N and Amsoil filters for over twenty years with no problems.
 

·
Love to live w/ MO
Joined
·
419 Posts
thanks Stoker,
can you please tell me where do u buy the Amsoil filters ?
i cant find it here in Saskatoon (not a big surprise for me though) but a friend of mine is driving next week to calgary so i can ask him to get me one.

i can get the k&n oil filter here but interested in the Amsoil one since i use that oil too.

PS> and also approx. how much $$
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
hasaanbhutta said:
thanks Stoker,
can you please tell me where do u buy the Amsoil filters ?
i cant find it here in Saskatoon (not a big surprise for me though) but a friend of mine is driving next week to calgary so i can ask him to get me one.

i can get the k&n oil filter here but interested in the Amsoil one since i use that oil too.

PS> and also approx. how much $$
Amsoil filters have disappeared from the local scene about ten years ago and I have not been able to find a distrubter since then. You are probaly aware that Canadian tire stocks the K&N filter and the cleaning kits but nothing from Amsoil.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
I had a panel filter from K&N. No difference in performance or mileage. In terms of convenience, its easier to replace the paper filter than wash the K&N.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hasaanbhutta, my buddy just bought a K&N from Canadian Tire for $69.99 (on sale this week). This is where the whole thought train for me started....His was for his Grand Am; so I wanted opinions for Mo's.

Cheers.
Scott.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,065 Posts
OK guys

I have to ask....because I don't think my dealer has changed mine....

To remove the filter top cover requires removing the tie wrap on the small harness where it attaches to the firewall, correct?
Yesterday I attempted to take a gander at my filter and found I could not merely unclip the lid and yank it out.
 

·
Love to live w/ MO
Joined
·
419 Posts
crash said:
hasaanbhutta, my buddy just bought a K&N from Canadian Tire for $69.99 (on sale this week). This is where the whole thought train for me started....His was for his Grand Am; so I wanted opinions for Mo's.

Cheers.
Scott.
nice,
i was there yesterday but didnt go to that section since i already knew the price (82.99$) but i am talking about the Oil filter.
the model no. for K&N oil filter is HP1008 but canadian tire didnt had it and neither did Parts Auto Source. but they can order it.


quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Stoker

.Amsoil filters have disappeared from the local scene about ten years ago and I have not been able to find a distrubter since then. You are probaly aware that Canadian tire stocks the K&N filter and the cleaning kits but nothing from Amsoil.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



that is WEIRED >....... my brother' KIA dealer told him that they use amsoil filters when they perform the oil change.
it is in Cambridge, Ontatio.

i should better check it out..... i will be heading to Ontario next week
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
I'll sell you my K&N with less than 5,000 miles on it for shipping charges + $10. It's sitting on a shelf in my garage back in the original box.

I'm with Eric, it's a lot easier to just buy the paper filters and throw the old ones out thatn to perform the maintenance on the K&N, IMO.

I also saw no increase in performance of any kind between the K&N and the paper one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,065 Posts
can somebody answer my question about changing the filter....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
mgthe3 said:
can somebody answer my question about changing the filter....
What tie wrap? There are two or three metal clips, and thats it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,065 Posts
on mine, there is a metal bracket with a small wire harness tie wrapped to it. 3 inches later on the harness, it is again tie wrapped to a bracket bolted to the firewall. If I try to lift up on the lid after unclipping the two clips, it goes up maybe 1/2" before running out of cable slack.

It isn't that I am incapable of figuring stuff out:
I just got through replacing the belts on my wife's Sentra. I had gone to the dealer asking how much--$160.00.
I said, "you have got to be kidding".
I took it home and did it myself with no books, no directions, zip nada. The adjusters were buried in the engine crap. After looking around with a light and a mirror, I did it in 30 minutes--the belts cost a whopping $17.00, together.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,065 Posts
Thank you Dennis :)
I saw the tabs...I guess I will have to wiggle it a little harder than I wanted to when I tried it the first time. I wonder why they dont use 4 clips and leave the friggen harness a bit more free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
mgthe3 said:
can somebody answer my question about changing the filter....
I loosened the hose clamp at the duct going into the intake. Then pulled the rubber duct off the air cleaner housing. This gave enough movement to get the lid off and set it aside.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
Cryogenix said:
So what happens if you don't put oil on the filter?
It won't filter as well. The oil comes pre-oiled.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top