Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought mine from Courtesy Nissan Online for $44.95. Cleaner and oil available from Auto Zone. I like them because they offer higher flow rates for a longer period of time. Some claim minor HP increases, but I'm skeptical. Have always used them on my vehicles, have one in the 350Z as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I purchased a K&N filter, too -- the same part # as the picture. However, the instructions said to place these two foam sticky things on the sides or it wouldn't seat right. The diagram looked a little different from the M-O, and I didn't see any purpose for the foam stickers. The filter itself seems the right side, though not as deep as the original. So far I haven't put it in. Anyone else confused by the foam stick-ons?

·
5,268 Posts
Enforcer,

what benefits did you get switching to K & N filter, based on your experience.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They offer higher flow rates for a longer period of time than the paper filters. As dirt and debris gets caught in the filter over time, it's flow rate decreases. It just decreases less than paper. Plus its reusable, easy to clean and re-oil. Nissan has done a pretty good job with their paper filters as long as they are new. I say this based on the dyno tests I've seen posted on the 350Z before and after K&N. So you can't really say that it increases HP...as long as both the paper and the K&N is new. But given the same amount of dirt, the K&N will perform better, allow more air through.

As the filter gets clogged, HP decreases and fuel mileage suffers. Lots of details here. I check them every month and clean them if necessary, so I always know the air filter is good. And I have used them for the last 15 years and never had a problem.

·
5,268 Posts
Thanks,
you have convinced me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
For those of us who are not so Mech savy,
how often should you get your air filter replaced?
the paper ones that come with the car i mean.

-Nerf

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, like the K & N's... I've been using them since 1974!:D

·
101 Posts
K&N won't fit

I bought the same K&N filter but could not get it to fit in the airbox so I returned it. The gasket on the K&N is thicker than the stock filter. How did you get the air box to close? I used K&N's on my last two cars with great results (both Honda Preludes).

·
5,268 Posts
How much extra?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have used K&N off and on for about 15 years.
They make good filters.
I have dyno'd several cars with and without K&N and found that they do not add hP on any stock car I have tried them on.
Now, if the car, especially the exhaust, has ben modified, I gave seen <> 5hp (corrected) on a 245 RWHP Vette. Not that 5 hP maens anything at that level.
And at the current time there is no low pressure mufflers avail that I am aware of.
However, they often inprove throttle response.

IMO, there is one trade off.
Noise.
Have you noticed any increses in noise on the Murano with the K&N?

Homer

·
Registered
719 Posts
Extra Effort??

There must be some manufacturing tolerance differences either with the K&N or with the airbox on the Murano. I was able to get the back latch down by hand but I actually ended up using a small vice grip on mine to get the latch towards the front of the engine compartment to close.

It's an extremely tight fit (IMO).

·
101 Posts
Sound baffling

I had a '92 Honda Prelude before my MO. I installed a cold air intake (CAI) system which meant removing the stock air intake system. That took 3 hours because of all the tunnels, hoses, ducting, and other crap that made-up the whole system. I even had to remove the front wheel, bumper, and fender lining just to get it all out! Most stock intake systems have several design goals: 1) cold/warm air management, 2) control air flow (less bog at low RPM, freer flow at high speed), and 3) sound control. Previous to the CAI I had a K&N filter that replaced the stock filter in the stock intake system. There was little difference in sound or performance. With the CAI installed, the intake ROARED with a noticable difference in performance (most gains were noticable at higher speeds). So in a Mo, you probably won't notice a sound difference for the reasons mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I just installed the K&N panel filter since I did not want another paper filter, and for the life of me I could not get the front clip closed. I tried everything, from vice grips to pliers, and the K&N rubber gasket is just too thick. The back clip closed fine and it seems secure without the front clip (the gap is minimal and I believe the rubber gasket on the filter will seal it). I duct taped whatever gap was remaining, and it seems fine now.

I am disappointed it did not fit perfectly though. The air filter box on the Murano is a terrible design. On my 97 Maxima it had 4 clips, easy on, easy off. On the Murano, it says you only need to disengage 2 clips, but then all the other tubing is in the way. So I ended up unbolting the MAF from the top of the airbox to put the filter in.

Old filter after 14,000 miles was filthy.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
ekaxel said:
Try the Amsoil TS74 air filter. Similar to the K&N.
The amsoil looks like a foam filter. I believe the cotton gauze / metal mesh filters such as K&N are superior to foam filters in terms of filtration.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts