Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kelly Blue Book now has the Murano used car pricing available.
Looks like $24,000 Trade-in value, Used Private seller @ $27,000 and Used Retail $30,000.
I was hoping to get a new 2004 MO but, it looks as if I will just have to fix those irritating noises. As this is my first new car purchase ever I did not realize that the MO's value would decrese so much.
Any thoughts.
Randy

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Nissans have never really had strong resale values relative to Toyota or Honda, so I never expected the Murano to have that either. Any vehicle you can buy for under invoice even during a period of "strong sales" will have a large initial depreciation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
FWIW, the ALG (predicted) residual values on 3-year leases for the 2004 Murano SL and 2004 Highlander Limited are 52% and 54%, respectively.

(Information available via cars.com.)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Randy,

A car/vehicle should not be looked at as an asset, especially a new one.

It's an expense (for transportation purposes) and as such, there are a lot of ways to mitigate the "expense". Buying a new vehicle is without a doubt the most expensive way to get your means of transportation.

Some people (like me) have never bought a used vehicle in my entire life, for lots of different reasons.

Some people have never bought a new vehicle.

The previous post about the estimated value of the Highlander and the Murano after 3 years is pretty standard in the automobile industry.

Once you buy that first new one from the showroom, that no one else has owned, and it's yours, all yours, it's hard to go back to even seriously shopping for, let alone buying a used vehicle, unless of course it's a classic vehicle of some type that's no longer in production.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thank you all for your opinions/advice.
Since this is my first new car I guess I should have realized the depreciation I was just hoping it would not be such a loss. I plan on keeping the 2003 MO as it will probably have 50,000 miles by the 1st anniversary. I drive quite a bit:rolleyes: My last three cars a 1989 Honda Prelude with 4WS, a 1991 Acura Integra & and my beloved 1995 Nissan Maxima all had well over 275,000 miles when I last drove them and surprisingly they were all used car purchases. Never had any major trouble with any of them. I hope that the MO does the same for me. But plunking down the 30 large for a new vehicle almost gave me a heart attack. Guess we will see.
Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mo's Value

When the MO first came out (within the first 8 months) Nissan assigned a very low residual value to the Murano. To lease the MO was very expensive because you were paying alot of depreciation. This is now an advantage to those who did lease the MO because it will now be worth more than the residual balance at the end of the lease. You could actually trade it into the dealer and get positive equity when purchasing a new Nissan without having to purchase it. I expect the values of the MO to continue to climb. There simply will not be alot of them available used for at least another year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts