Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my Murano I could open the vehicle from about 30 yds. After 2 months I had to stand within 5 yards and now I have to be standing at the driver's door.

Do I have a bad fob, battery, or is there something else that isn't working right?

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
I'm guessing the battery is your culprit as is mine. I used to be able to lock/unlock/wind down windows (I actually use this feature) from my house with my car on the other side of the cul de sac, however now I have to be about 10 yards away. The other fob works fine. Same thing has happened on my other cars...change the battery! :29:

·
Registered
117 Posts
A quarter mile with the clifford alarm :D

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah the battery will affect it. Also if you are close to a high powered transmitter of some sort, the Murano's receiver may be affected by "desensitisation" where the energy from the transmitter overloads the front end and makes it deaf.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
You can effectively double (or more) the range if you press the transmitter with one end of it (the top) touching the bottom of your chin. Apparently your body acts as an antenna, greatly extending the range.

No one believes me when I tell them it. Then when they try it, they become believers.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Snow MO said:
I'm guessing the battery is your culprit as is mine. I used to be able to lock/unlock/wind down windows (I actually use this feature)
wait, wait, wait.. roll down windows?!?! Care to elaborate?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've tried holding down the lock button to see if the windows roll up, but got nothing. Imagine it's a safety feature in case someone or something is in the window.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Eric L. said:
You can effectively double (or more) the range if you press the transmitter with one end of it (the top) touching the bottom of your chin. Apparently your body acts as an antenna, greatly extending the range.

No one believes me when I tell them it. Then when they try it, they become believers.
:werd:

It really works!

·
Registered
117 Posts
fdonaghy said:
I've tried holding down the lock button to see if the windows roll up, but got nothing. Imagine it's a safety feature in case someone or something is in the window.
To close the windows just turn they key in the door lock to lock position and hold it, like magic :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
RandyMax said:

:werd:

It really works!
Woohoo someone has tried it and knows it works!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Key Fob

Tried mine today from about 50 yards and it worked no problem.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I can get mine to function from about 75 yards when I'm facing the front of the vehicle and use the chin trick. From behind the vehicle, seems like I need to be within 10 yards or so. I'm still on original battery from 7/29/2003.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I get at least 50 yards if not more with my key fob. Contrast that to my wife's GM minivan which requires you to be within feet of the vehicle. The chin trick really works. We use it for the minivan all the time. We can unlock the minivan's doors from our back door to our detached garage that's 50 yards away by the chin trick. We found that you need to press the key fob up against your chin snugly for it to work best.

The other thing I've noticed about the Murano is that the built in garage remote is great for range too! I can open our garage door from over 100 yards away (end of our driveway). Again, wife's GM minivan requires you to be within 10 yards of the door. Can't blame the battery on that one as it runs off the car's electrical system! Chalk it up to weak transmitters in GM vehicles.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The other thing I've noticed about the Murano is that the built in garage remote is great for range too! I can open our garage door from over 100 yards away (end of our driveway). Again, wife's GM minivan requires you to be within 10 yards of the door. Can't blame the battery on that one as it runs off the car's electrical system! Chalk it up to weak transmitters in GM vehicles.
Here's a little trick I tried last summer and works extremly well in increasing the range considerably. Sometimes it has not much to do with the transmitter but rather the recieving end of the opener. Every one who saves stuff must have one of those telescopic TV antennas which are meant for portable TV's in the junk box. Take the little wire found on the opener (antenna wire) and cut off the fitting on the end of the TV antenna and splice them together. Leave the antenna extended and tie wraped to the opener. This increased my range about 4X. ;)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Garage opener

Thanks Snowride! I'll try it this weekend. Wife's always complaining about the weak signal from her minivan.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Just add a few feet to the antenna wire on the rcvr.

doesn't hurt to run it say 5' one direction and then take a 90 degree turn and run it another few ft.

My garage door opens from about 100' now.
It is open by the time I pull in to the driveway.

Homer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts