Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Nissan Murano AWD
155k miles

csr sat while on vacation. Came back today and both key fobs are not locking or unlocking the car. Used key from inside the car to open doors. Horn and interior lights and interior door automatic doorlocks work. Tried to use manual key to insert and start the car and it is locked up with the key lock light blinking. Replaced key fob keys and it’s not working either. Popped hood and noticed a low humming sound from engine compartment. Also noticed that the passenger floor was wet. The sunroof drain line Came out of place and soaked when rains came last week while we were on vacation. I dried it up and will continue to let dry and fixed the line. Can’t figure out to start the car though. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Have you checked the voltage of your battery with a multimeter?

Your battery may have drained too low to start it, especially if that humming was happening the whole time you were on vacation...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have. The battery voltage is right where it is supposed to be. The ignition is actually locked and not allowing me to move it into the accessory or start position. It was the first thing I thought to do. I fixed the sun roof drain and had a fan blowing into the car all day and still now to try to get it completely dry. I’ll be trying again after work tomorrow.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have. The battery voltage is right where it is supposed to be. The ignition is actually locked and not allowing me to move it into the accessory or start position. It was the first thing I thought to do. I fixed the sun roof drain and had a fan blowing into the car all day and still now to try to get it completely dry. I’ll be trying again after work tomorrow.
Sounds like the steering lock may be putting pressure on the ignition key switch. Try turning the steering wheel while turning the key. You may need to use some force on the steering wheel before the key will move if it's bound tight.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried this as well. I tried back and forth even tried to use the tilt wheel to help vibrate the pieces back in place. I tried for a solid hour and wasn’t gentle. The computer for the key fobs is located in the kick panel of the passenger side of the car and was partially wet from the sunroof drain leak. I unplugged the battery and tried to dry it out the best I could as well. I am hoping. A day or two of drying and disconnecting the battery and draining the residual power will help to reset it all and it be in a dry and working condition. I am flabbergasted that there isn’t an easy way to simply disable the remote entry and keyless ignition functions to just use the key to start the car. Or at least I haven’t found out how to do that. I’m guessing it’s doable but likely just with the dealer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a similar problem on a 02 Maxima. I had to have it towed to the dealer. I was told that the anti-theft "immobilizer" was set and they had to replace the little computer module under the steering wheel for about $270. In my case, there wasn't any leak. It just happened one morning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ll be home in about 3 hours. Will be taking the hair dryer out to finish drying the wet carpet this evening and recharging the battery just in case. I’ll report back late this evening if I have it figured out. If not it’s gonna be a $100 tow to the dealer and $100 diagnostic fee to figure it out. Just hate when I can’t do something myself on these newer cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys. Have an update. I finally had some time to fool with the car. I went ahead and removed the battery and had it fully charged and tested. Tester indicated the battery is bad. I’ll be working tomorrow to get a replacement. Now when I plugged the battery back in from the charge the ignition lock finally allowed me to start it. The alarm started going off but I disabled the horn by the fuse to get it figured out tomorrow. Neither key fobs are working still. I am thinking the battery died fully over the last week of sitting and now those systems likely need a refresh. Ince the battery is relaxed I’m going to see what I can do to get it figured out and taken care of. I’ll update once that pet is finished.

·
Super Moderator
7,791 Posts
Sounds like you're winning now. It may take a while for the systems to reset.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts