Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 09 Nissan Murano. Put the key into ignition and nothing happened. The KEY idiot light came on. It will not go to accessory mode or anything. The key fob will not lock or unlock vehicle but you hear a clicking noise at the fuse box under the hood when you press the buttons. The steering wheel is in the unlocked position

I have no power to the power locks, the horn or the gauges. I put a charger on the battery and it it fully charged. I also put a new battery in the key fob.

I have checked the fuses, checked the wiring and even hit the steering lock module with a hammer. Lightly lol.

would appreciate any ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
It could very possibly be battery needs replace in fob they don't last long in a nission

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
It could very possibly be battery needs replace in fob they don't last long in a nission

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Jake, he has already replaced the battery in the key fob - it's in his post.

One thought - and it falls under the heading of "don't ask how I know this..."

It's not hard to put a replacement battery in the fob upside down so that the polarity is wrong. Chances are that you made note of which side of the battery went up, but juuuuust in case, I think it might be worthwhile to pop it open again and check. If you have a spare fob, try it too.

Like I said, don't ask how I know this...

But I don't think the fob is problem, it sounds to me like there may be a fusible link or relay that has fried, or some kind of anti-theft mode is engaged.

I hope others will contribute more ideas. I'm not highly knowledgeable about the 09 Muranos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks and yes the battery is in correctly. Lol. I was thinking that as well or maybe the steering wheel lock mechanism

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks and yes the battery is in correctly. Lol. I was thinking that as well or maybe the steering wheel lock mechanism
Did you also check the fuses on the fusible link attached to the battery + post? Do you see the immobilizer LED on the dash near the windshield blinking (or staying lit)?

You never provided any history on this issue. For example, was the car fine last night and all this happened in the morning when you went to go to work? Or were there other problems (e.g. electrical) that you recently had repaired? Any background information can be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
I’m sorry. You are right. There is a fuse on the battery post that is blown. My bad
Yay! It's always good to see a member post that the solution was found. Hope this solves it for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope so as well, just makes me wonder why it blew. It looks pretty old though. 100000 miles.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I hope so as well, just makes me wonder why it blew. It looks pretty old though. 100000 miles.
Which fuse was it? If you're not sure, post a picture of the fusible link.

I would also wonder why it blew. Do you have any aftermarket stuff wired into the harness? Nevertheless, I've never understood why Nissan put a bunch of important fuses right on top of the battery + terminal rather than in the IPDM which is at least shielded from the elements. The Murano already has a notorious reputation for battery post corrosion problems so putting fuses there is not a good idea, IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is was the fuse on top. The 50 amp. The car company I purchased it from just put a new tracking/disabling device on it last week. Other than that there is nothing I know of. Thanks for your help. I put the new one on and it works fine. It was very corroded. Could barely see the fuse through the window. Thanks for your advice. I was about to tear apart the steering wheel lock mechanism.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts