Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just purchased some Klasse All-in-One Acrylic Cleaner and Protectant and can't wait to put it on my MO. I had the option to buy the high gloss sealant, but passed.

Does the sealant really help that much in addition to the protectant? This stuff is pretty pricey, so I don't want to go overboard if I don't have to.

Also, is clay bar really necessary? As far as I can tell all it does is removes stuff from the car that a normal washing can't get off.

I live in Minnesota, so the winter conditions are pretty harsh. Should I shell out and buy the sealant too or will the all in one be good enough?

·
Registered
719 Posts
One of my favorite topics:

On a dark color (like your black) yes, you need to use the clay bar before the AIO. If you don't you'll be sorry when your finished. I know I was the first time. The High Gloss Sealant is debatable.

The AIO is a great protectant, especially when layered on 2-3 layers deep. I have a Silver 03 Murano and a Silver 00 Maxima. I annually follow this procedure, to prepare for winter here in Wisconsin.

Wash with blue Dawn diswashing liguid as the soap.

Rinse really, really well.

Grab a clean plastic sandwich bag from the kitchen and put your hand in it. Gently feel the surface of the Murano. If you feel any "drag" or "sand" on the paint, then you need the clay bar.

I then use the Clay bar, over the entire vehicle, being very careful to use lots of lubricant with the clay. I also always have a second clay bar kit handy, so when I inevitably drop the clay, I'm not tempted to use it again. (I like the Mother's claybar kits at about $16.) I also split the clay bar into three pieces before I start.

IMO, the Murano should be washed again.

I then start applying the AIO.

I put it on everything, glass, trim, metal, plastic, the entire vehicle exterior. It goes on really easy and comes off just as easily.

By now, I'm usually ready for a beer or two, and then I'll start another coat of the AIO. Or I quit for the day.

IMO, the nice thing about the AIO is you can easily wash the vehicle again the next weekend and apply another coat or two of the AIO without any problems. It literally becomes a project that takes an hour or so from start to finish (on subsequent coats).

I've used the High Gloss Sealant and on a silver vehicle, find it's not worth the effort. It maybe on your dark color. Instead, I just top off the AIO with a nice wax product for a bit of extra protection for my Wisconsin winters.

Should you choose to try the HG Sealant, you can save money by buying the twice the AIO (32 oz AIO and the 16 oz High Gloss Sealant), because you'll use a lot less of the HG sealant than the AIO.

Good Micro Fiber "rags" or towels will also make huge difference in the entire detailing process. I've found descent ones at Sam's Club lately , I think it was a bundle of 12 for $14.99 or something like that.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply dklanecky1...

I might take my chances and wash my MO really, really well w/ some dawn and put on the Klasse (multiple coats) and see where that takes me.

When you say that you regretted not using the clay bar was it because your car didn't shine as much as you expected or because of scratches?? Perhaps I am too cheap or too lazy, but if you get everything off of your car, why would you need the clay bar (assuming I only use the Klasse on the body)?

I like the plastic bag idea and will use that...:D

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Although I am a Zaino guy (When you care enough to use the very best....)

" As far as I can tell all it does is removes stuff from the car that a normal washing can't get off."

And your point is?

I second the feeling of "clay it".

Waht's the big deal?

It doesn't cost that much, and it's easy.
You just get a spray bottle filled with water that has a few drops of Dawn in it and spray a section.
GLIDE the claybar over the section.
Keep the lubricant flowing and GLIDE the clay bar over the car, pausing every now and then to "fold" the clay over on itself.

It's not hard.

It doesn't take long to do (20 minutes?)

And yes it removes the stuff that a regular washing won't touch. You would rather trap the crap under a nice coat of wax?

Homer

·
Registered
309 Posts
Instead of a clay bar couldn't you use at fine polish to do the same thing? I have the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and then apply the Meguiars Gold Class wax. Haven't done it yet on Mo (waiting for the wheather to be nice and warm.... NJ weather, go figure). But I did use them on my old Maxima and the results were awesome! A showroom wet look :D

Anyone else use the 3M and Meguiars together?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
There is no doubt that a glaze would help.

But a glaze cannot do what a Clay bar can do.

The clay bar does NOT use minor abrasion as a fine polish does.

The clay bar glides along just OFF the surface, riding on a molecular film caused by the lubricant (The dawn makes the molecules smaller ) and literally PULLS brake dust etc OUT of the clear coat.

Homer

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok..Ok...You guys have sold me:2:

I am going out to buy some clay bar today. Where is the best place to go (e.g., Target, Walmart, Pepboys, etc.)? Can I even buy this at a department store like Target?

·
Registered
177 Posts
What about Claying and sealent for a white Mo?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Coness said:
Ok..Ok...You guys have sold me:2:

I am going out to buy some clay bar today. Where is the best place to go (e.g., Target, Walmart, Pepboys, etc.)? Can I even buy this at a department store like Target?
I've seen it at Pep boys & Walmart. I've never seen it at "my" Target.

I got mine with my Zaino kit, but that's a whole 'nuther thread...

Good Luck

·
Registered
719 Posts
Coness said:
When you say that you regretted not using the clay bar was it because your car didn't shine as much as you expected or because of scratches?? Perhaps I am too cheap or too lazy, but if you get everything off of your car, why would you need the clay bar (assuming I only use the Klasse on the body)?
The thing about the clay bar is that it takes so little additional effort (I know it is another step and all you want to do is drive) but as everyone has pointed out, when you feel the surface of your freshly washed Murano theough the plastic bag, you'll quickly realize just how much cr*p is still on the paint.

If you discipline your self to use the clay bar, before the Klasse AIO (or Zaino if you prefer), you'll be so much more pleased with the over all result and your Murano will be much more protected as there's nothing between your AIO and the top level of the clear coat.

Trust us, we've all been there, and done the quick route, without the clay bar, and then been sorry later on as it's just not as nice.

The first picture in the lower right corner of the main page to this site is my 2003 Silver Murano SE, after a nice fresh Klasse AIO treatment in July, 2003.

The current coat of Klasse is now a full six months old and looks and beads water in nice small equal sized beads, so the protection does last.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Does Klasse or Zaino discolor the plastic/black. My Mo is white.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After the wash, the clay bar, the wash again, and finally the klasse all in one, would ya'll recommend putting on a wax (e.g., Macguairs or Turtle)? Or will the all in one be good enough?

I guess what I am trying to get at is, should I put something on in addition to the all in one, whether it be the High Gloss (have to order this one:mad: ) or something I can buy at Target that is cheaper and more convenient to buy (e.g, Macguairs or Turtle).

If I do decide to go the cheap / convenient route will putting on regular carnuba (again Macguairs or Turtle) screw anything up?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Quote from dklanecky1:
I've used the High Gloss Sealant and on a silver vehicle, find it's not worth the effort. It maybe on your dark color. Instead, I just top off the AIO with a nice wax product for a bit of extra protection for my Wisconsin winters.
Coness - I usually top mine off with a good wax as well. I have used Zymol in the past.

·
Registered
719 Posts
grfg8r said:
Does Klasse or Zaino discolor the plastic/black. My Mo is white.
The Klasse AIO doesn't discolor any plastic that I've put it on yet. I can't say for sure about the Zaino product since I've no personal experience with it.

I've used AIO on my 00 Maxima for just over five years now and the black plastic trim around the rear window (between the glass and the paint) still looks perfect. Same with the factory mudflaps on both the Maxima and the Murano.

That's why I like the stuff, it's really pretty goof proof.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Every suggestiion here is great

EXCEPT

using dishwashing liquid, DISHWASHING LIQUID,

pardon me MURANO is no dirty dish in no kitchen sink, that is where DAWN belongs, you will damage your clear coat beyond repair, wash your car with any good car washing liquid, unless you eat on it.:eek:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Use Dawn ONLY after you've Clayed it and/or are removing the old and prepping for new.

Quote frm. Sal Zaino

·
Registered
719 Posts
grfg8r said:
Use Dawn ONLY after you've Clayed it and/or are removing the old and prepping for new. Quote frm. Sal Zaino
Excellent question about the use of Dawn or any dishwashing detergent as a car wash soap! I didn't explain why we use it.

Quite a few other detail pros have specifically mentioned the Blue Dawn diswashing liquid as a car wash soap, ONLY WHEN YOU WANT TO STRIP all the waxes, polishes, etc off the car. Never as a normal weekly wash cycle, otherwise you would be doing all that work with the AIO for nothing.

I've been using it for almost 10 years now and can assure you it won't harm the clear coat or any other paint on a vehicle. It also makes an excellent soap to add to the wash when your washing your car rags as it rinses very clean out of the fabrics in a washing machine.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Plus, it's a good lubrcant, (4-5 drops) in a spray bottle filled w/ H2O when your working w/ a clay bar.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Good point about WHEN to use Dawn.

Dawn is a grease cutter. That is it's primary purpose in life.
It's the best at it.
When they find somethig better at cutting grease, we'll use that.

Since it cuts Grease, it cuts wax.
Wax is a grease.
Not an animal grease but a grease none the less.

Road oils and tars are grease.

Even fingerprints are "grease".

And yes, wax is a grease.

Dawn does a great job removing all of them.

I use it about once every two years when I strip the car and start over.

I always start that way with a car.

Whether it be used or new, the first thing that happens is I use Dawn.
(As opposed to Sal, I would NEVER clay a dirty car.)
Then I use Clay (with dawn as the lube . But that's not important, any "soap" or "surfactant" makes a good lube) and then I use Dawn again.

The reason is, is that I am a Zaino user.
As opposed to wax, Zaino is a polymer, just like the clear coat is a polymer.

And the Z1 is going to help the Z2 actually bond with the clear coat.
I do not want any impurity trapped under the Z2 as it will be very apparent since the Z2 is 99% optically clear.

Then I put the Dawn away, As stated, you do NOT use the Dawn when you do a normal wash (Although it will NOT remove Zaino. Only Alcohol has been found to remove Zaino without damaging the clear coat).

Sometimes I put a coat of P21S wax on a complete Zaino job.
Wax is not optically clear and imparts a classic glow to a car.
Zaino doesn't. Zaino is like enclosing your car in a 1/4" of glass.
Very transparent.
The glow however is attractive.
And it will go away after a few weeks if you tire of the look.
(You could if course, remove the P21s with Dawn if it bugged you. I personally like it now and then)
The Zaino if course will last varying amounts of time depending on envirionment (Garage, sun, etc , etc) but it is measured in months not weeks.
I have never left my car go to see how long it will last in my environment (No harsh winter, but very harsh sun, and garaged when it is not being driven) but I have gone 3 or even 4 months without "adding" a coat of Z2. It was fine.
My normal procedure is to add a single coat of Z2 every 4 or 5 weks. Takes about 20 minutes to do the Murano except for the top.
I find the top difficult to do.
It's tall and I am not and the Sunroof Deflector and Rack are a PITA.
Figure another 15 minutes for the top alone.

I personally agree with Guru Reports that P21s is the best wax I have ever seen.

I use Zaino's Z7 for regular washes.
I believe it contains some minute anount of Z2 or Z6 in it.
In any event it is what I use.

Homer

1 - 20 of 28 Posts