Nissan Murano Forum banner

Knowing what you know now, would you still have bought a Murano?

• Yes

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 24.1%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I think any new vehicle introduction is going to be fraught with problems until that vehicle has some real world use and the buggy components can be re-engineered.
This might be true for American made cars, but not Japanese ones. My first Maxima was an 85 SE - the first year for the 2nd gens (so different from the 1st gens, those might as well have not even existed. In fact, the 1st gens might have even still been Datsuns way back then in the early 80's, and didn't have V6's). That one was so good, that 10 years later I bought a 95 SE in late 94, again the first year of the 4th gen Maximas. That's the one I begrudgingly just traded in (after 17 years and 220K miles) on my used (08) bimmer. Both of my 1st year maxes were so good, I knew the 2nd year of the first gen Mos would be very low risk for problems.

How right I was!

Then again, I still won't buy any US engineered or even assembled car no matter how long it's been around.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
You missed the point. A change in generation is not a new vehicle. It's the first 2 - 3 years of the first generation that is generally the problem. I think the 2003 - 2005 MOs had more problems than later on. It just stands to reason that it takes a few years to get the bugs worked out in real world driving situations.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Compared to your 2nd gen or did you have 1st gen at one time?

To our new 2011. This is our 1st Murano, but 14th or 15th Nissan. Prior to the Murano, the wife had minivans. Now our kids are grown so we didn't need all the room anymore.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
This might be true for American made cars, but not Japanese ones. My first Maxima was an 85 SE - the first year for the 2nd gens (so different from the 1st gens, those might as well have not even existed. In fact, the 1st gens might have even still been Datsuns way back then in the early 80's, and didn't have V6's). That one was so good, that 10 years later I bought a 95 SE in late 94, again the first year of the 4th gen Maximas. That's the one I begrudgingly just traded in (after 17 years and 220K miles) on my used (08) bimmer. Both of my 1st year maxes were so good, I knew the 2nd year of the first gen Mos would be very low risk for problems.

How right I was!

Then again, I still won't buy any US engineered or even assembled car no matter how long it's been around.
Nissan makes great cars but even they're not always perfect with new 1st year models. My 1st model year Titan had some issues my 08 Titan doesn't. Our 04 Quest, also a 1st year model, was a nightmare. So much so that our dealer replaced it..TWICE! That debacle went on so lon that the2nd time it was replace withan 05 Quest! But my 93 Altima/Stanza, 95 Maxima, 2k Maxima were all perfect. So it's hit or miss.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
This is our 1st Murano, but 14th or 15th Nissan.
Wow - I just did a quick count (actually, all I had to do was check a spreadsheet), and I've owned exactly 13 cars total since buying my first one - a 57 VW bug to commute to college - back in 1968. And since only 3 (the 2 Maxes I detailed above and our current Mo) have been Nissans, maybe that small sample size disqualifies me from commenting on their comparative quality with other makes.

Plus, considering the fact that I've had almost none of the other Murano `problems' such as broken seats, misc. rattles, bad cats, floppy visors, poor electrical grounds, bad stereos, weak suspensions, loose intake parts, etc. etc., maybe I've just been truly `lucky' with my cars.

Actually, I like to think it is more the facts that I choose my cars carefully, plan to keep them for the long haul, do lots of my own maintenance (more in my younger days when I did almost ALL of it), always garage my cars, and I drive them the way they were designed to be driven.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Wow - I just did a quick count (actually, all I had to do was check a spreadsheet), and I've owned exactly 13 cars total since buying my first one - a 57 VW bug to commute to college - back in 1968. And since only 3 (the 2 Maxes I detailed above and our current Mo) have been Nissans, maybe that small sample size disqualifies me from commenting on their comparative quality with other makes.

Plus, considering the fact that I've had almost none of the other Murano `problems' such as broken seats, misc. rattles, bad cats, floppy visors, poor electrical grounds, bad stereos, weak suspensions, loose intake parts, etc. etc., maybe I've just been truly `lucky' with my cars.

Actually, I like to think it is more the facts that I choose my cars carefully, plan to keep them for the long haul, do lots of my own maintenance (more in my younger days when I did almost ALL of it), always garage my cars, and I drive them the way they were designed to be driven.
lol...no it doesn't disqualify you at all. We all have different experiences for whatever reasons. Maximas?....I don't think Nissan would put out a Maxima unless it was right. Too much at stake since it was a well liked and sort of their "status" car for a while. I too garage my cars. That does make a difference I think.
For quite sometime I was one of those HAFTA HAVE A NEW CAR EVERY 2 YEARS kinda guys. Then I woke up! lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
Definitely, I always liked small suvs I sold my grand cherokee and bought the Murano.
Even thou it looks smaller, it is more spacious, faster and lighter than the Jeep I had.

The CVT went out about 6 months ago but thanks to Nissans 10 year 12000K warranty
it was replaced at no charge, other than that I have replaced the high pressure
power steering hose and the front lower control arms. ( a very common failure among Muranos)
the stereo cant be replaced, thats a bummer for me, but I am working on
a little project to improve the sound quality of my MO, I'll post pics soon.

Everytime I get in my Murano Im like man, I love my Murano.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm going to admit I kinda of regret buying it, but theres a lot of factors to why that is, first I regret buying the red ones instead of the black ones, the blacks ones looks much nicer, I also should've went for LE or at least SL instead of SV, money was a little tight but I should've bought a used LE instead. I didn't get a good offer from my dealer ship, I got it for 33k with nothing added on top. I also like Maxima and I regret not getting a maxima instead of the MO simply because I feel like the Maxima fits me better. But overall MO is a great car and I still think it's the best SUV's around apart of the high-ends BWM X6, Benz ect...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Went from Lexus RX's to a Mo, no regrets, and I'd do it again. Nice balance of fun to drive, room, comfort and amenities.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Definitely, I always liked small suvs I sold my grand cherokee and bought the Murano.
Even thou it looks smaller, it is more spacious, faster and lighter than the Jeep I had.

The funny thing about the MO is that it does appear smaller than a lot of other midsized SUVs. But when you get it alongside them, you see that it isn't, and it's actually quite roomy. That was one thing that impressed me about it was the passenger room. It does give up some cargo room to get this, but you can't defy the laws of physics!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've had 2 - loved both of them. Definitely no regrets!

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have owned our Mo for a year and i would have to say no i would not do it again. We seen it at the dealer and just jumped on it, i shouldn't have bought it, truthfully its to expensive of a car for my budget/lifestyle. So my reasons for saying not to do it again is it feels to rich to me. Sounds wierd when i read that back, but thats what im trying to say i think, its a nice car but feel where i am at in life i should be driving an explorer. Its like i reached to far. Also a little nervous about a transmission that costs $4,000! But i belive the wife feels completly different she loves it!!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
We have owned our Mo for a year and i would have to say no i would not do it again. We seen it at the dealer and just jumped on it, i shouldn't have bought it, truthfully its to expensive of a car for my budget/lifestyle. So my reasons for saying not to do it again is it feels to rich to me. Sounds wierd when i read that back, but thats what im trying to say i think, its a nice car but feel where i am at in life i should be driving an explorer. Its like i reached to far. Also a little nervous about a transmission that costs $4,000! But i belive the wife feels completly different she loves it!!
How can a 7 year old car be too rich for your lifestyle? :confused: Depending on the style, condition and mileage, the car is probably worth $8500 - $9500. Fairly inexpensive for a vehicle as nice as the MO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I own a 2010 SL CVT AWD. Just over 40,000 km on Murray.

I answered the poll and am now telling everyone how I answered. :)

Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes. (OK, I only voted once, really.) I hope that isn't too ambivalent.

I am very impressed with the CVT and the fact that, should I need to, I can floor it and the power arrives quickly. I had a 2003 MINI with a CVT and the joke around our house was that I couldn't get out of my own way.

But, the car is still quite new and "young". Our 2006 6 speed MINI just passed 90,000 km and is falling apart suddenly. All the computers in the car are self-destructing. Thank goodness it is still under the used car warranty. So, I worry about the future in a vehicle that is as computerized as the Murano, and all other cars out there these days.

Despite the Murano being around for so many years, people still comment on it. People have asked what I think several times and I have told them.

Ask me again in about 3 years. I hope the answer remains the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After 150,000 mi. in my 2003!

I thought about it for 2 seconds before responding "Yes!"
I have over 150,000 miles on my 2003 Murano. At 98,000 miles Kevin Martin assisted in getting me one of the first replacement CVT's!
First impressions were correct - this is a very well "constructed" vehicle. No rust through all this crappy NJ weather. Snow and salt; ice and rain. Blizzards, hurricanes, floods - Nothing phases this vehicle!
It's still the single most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven or ridden in - and I'm a long haul trucker! I still love my Murano!
Downsides - well, with 150K miles, in addition to the new CVT at 98,000 (thank you Nissan!) I've replaced all 4 brakes and rotors 3X. At 140,000 I had to replace the 3 timing chains. Six months ago, I replaced the lower catalytic converter; this month the upper two catalytic converters, and the 4 oxygen sensors, along with the mass air flow sensor.
Now that's a lot to replace! BUT FIGURE THAT ON MOST VEHICLES THESE THINGS NEED REPLACING AT 60K or 70K miles!! The Murano is a SOLID, QUIET, SAFE, COMFORTABLE vehicle!! I consider it very reliable! Some folks would say I'm nuts after replacing all these items - I don't! This is what happens when you reach 150,000 miles!
Thank You Murano!!
bigeasy

·
Registered
205 Posts
Answered yes....and I should seeing I just picked up what now is my 2nd MO....

First was a 2010 SL that was totaled....did good before and during the crash...now enjoying my 2012 SL ;)

21 - 40 of 59 Posts