Nissan Murano Forum banner

Labor Day auto sales question?...

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Enforcer 
#1 ·
So I think I have made a decision to go with the MO over the FX35, and I am ready to make a move this weekend.

For those of you who buy cars regularly (or are a dealer or know dealers), would you consider this Saturday (Sept 30th, Labor Day weekend) a good day to make a great deal on a 2003 MO?

I have heard that car dealers usually try to move cars more at the end of the month, and maybe a bit more so on a holiday weekend?

So far the MO I am looking at is the SE (2WD) with Dynamic Control Package, Leather Package, Popular Package, Premium Package including moon roof, cargo protector, floor mats, mud guards, navigation system, and wind deflector.

Retail according to Kelly Blue Book is: $36,102.00
Invoice is: $32,860.00.
New car Blue Book is: $33,517.00

Is this what I should be shooting for? Or should I try to go a tad lower? Also, I live in an area where their are at least 5 Nissan dealers within 30 miles. And I am a Costco member (if that makes a difference?)

I plan on dropping $15k down plus my old truck trade-in (likely worth only $500.00 to a dealer) and I want to finance the rest via Nissan credit. Also, I have diamond credit status.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all your help with making me go with a MO! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Depending on WHERE you are in California...

... you can do better than invoice.

I'm working with a dealer to get my exact car (I was very particular about color and equipment) and I negotiated $650 under invoice. This is in Southern California BTW.

As for financing, if you have Diamond Credit, then your credit score is at least 750 or above. That should qualify you for the lowest interest rate offered. Personally if it were me, I'd go with Peoplefirst.com to get their low interest rate and forget about putting very much money down. (At 3-5% interest, it's unlikely that you'll be able to borrow money for much less. Save the $15K in cash you have now and invest it or pay-off other higher interest debt service.)

Bob K.

#4 ·
Labor Day Woes

I can't believe what happened to me at the dealership yesterday, on Labor day. I went to the West Palm Automall and the guy i had been talking to told me that we will give me a great deal and I won't have to go anywhere else! So after an hour of talking, checking my credit, checking my car, they basically told me to leave!!!
I had been reading the posts on here about how to get a good deal. I have been doing alot of researching.. I brought the consumer reports printout that gives wholesale prices, invoice prices, and MSRP. I went in there thinking i was going to get a good deal!! Basically, they wanted to offer me a Murano for about $2000 over Invoice and then give me only $2500 for my 1995 Special Edition Acura Integra... when i showed them all my stuff, printouts on prices for my car, exact prices for options, wholesale prices, etc. they said "well we are not going to sell you a car today" and said no way about giving me the price I wanted for my car. THEN, the guy went to Carsdirect.com, selected the options i wanted (popular/premium package, leather package, sunroof) and gave me the piece and paper with the price and said see ya later!! I couldn't believe it! They basically threw me out? What the F#$%! I didn't even get to test drive one yet!!! I think I'm going to drive up to Carmax and get a nice Murano for $28,000, granted its a 10 hour drive.. but I feel worth it.. Don't ever to to West Palm Automall:3:

#5 ·
Sorry to hear that after all your research, your deal didn't go through. Maybe because labor day is the beginning of the month?

I have no regrets over my Carmax deal. I also left a dealer lot disappointed one night. They offered me a pathetic amount on my trade in and tried a pathetic deal on the Murano. Went to Carmax the next morning and was thriled. Carmax offered me more than what I expected on a trade-in (like $11K versus 5K at the other dealer). They had a large inventory and I looked on their website to make sure they had what I wanted in stock first. They had no hassle prices and the price was very close to invoice price. The entire buying experience at Carmax was very prompt and effecient. I'd drive/fly 10 hours if need be to get that kind of service again if I had to.

Best of luck!

#6 ·
I just got back from visiting a friend in the West Palm Beach area over the Labor Day weekend. He and his wife just purchased a year-old Jaguar from a dealership in south Florida (I believe near Hallandale) and got a GREAT deal! They had originally gone to the Jag dealer in West Palm and got basically the same treatment you described. After they purchased their car from the other dealership, the West Palm salesman called them as a follow-up to their visit. When they told him what a great deal they got, the salesman hung up and called the sales manager at the other dealership and yelled at him for "ruining" Jag sales for everyone! Sounds like West Palm may not be a good place to deal on a car! :(

Jeff

#7 ·
I would go to a local Carmax first and have them value your car before you drive 10 hours to one. My own experience with Carmax on two seperate cars is that they typically lowball the trade-in and only give wholesale price, which is substantially below KBB. I have heard others with good stories from Carmax, but I don't know if they even new the KBB Trade-In value for their car.

The best time to go to a dealer is the last weekend of the month because they are usually trying to sell as many cars as possible at that time and are willing to deal more. When I bought my Murano they first offered me only 5k for my trade and a monthly payment of about $650. After I started to walk out they gave me 7100 for my trade and got the payment down to $467. I bought the car on June 28 and I think the sales manager wanted to get my Murano sold since it had sit for a month in the showroom and wanted to move it.

I definetly wouldn't go back to that dealership again and send a letter to the general manager about the poor service and treatment you received. Make sure to put in that happy customers tell 2 to 3 other people about good service they receive but unhappy customers tell 10+ people about the poor service they receive and any customer service training will verify those statistics.

#8 ·
TikiMan - never allow them to run your credit report...

I had a buddy in the car business and he told me to NEVER allow them to run your credit report until you're done negotiating.

Why? Because 1) It allows them to "size you up" and determine what you can or can't afford; and 2) They have less incentive to negotiate because they think you're more committed to the car because you allowed them to pull your credit (a sure sign that you're ready to buy.)

These guys sound like they were hard-balling you into the sale. You probably (out of good intentions) allowed them to pull your credit report because they told you all that you wanted to hear ("great deal", "no problem", etc. ) but when they knew that you were hooked and committed to buying the car, they tried to back you into the corner and accept a "take it or leave it" deal.

Sorry you had such an experience. What I like to do is to keep them guessing all the time. The favorite question of salesmen are: "What payment are you looking for." I never give them an answer to this question (it tells them if you're ready and able to make a deal.) Instead, I just tell them that "I can afford it. The payment doesn't matter. If the final price is something I like, then I'll decide then whether to pay cash or if I take payments, the payments will be what they are." Trust me, the salesmen will start drooling at this point.

Always insist on a test drive. Always insist on negotiating first and decline filling-out a credit application. If they insist, simply tell them that you're pre-approved at your credit union (or this is an "all cash deal." You can "change your mind and finance" later.) Be prepared to walk. Remember, you don't HAVE to spend your money, but they MUST sell cars. That's the beauty of being the consumer! :D

Good luck! Sorry again about the experiences.

Bob K.

#9 ·
Thanks

I appreciate everyone's advice and help. I thought I did all my research but did not know about the credit.. i know thats what shot the deal. Anyway... i think i'm going to try to sell the car myself and see how much I can get for it and then wait till i see a car I want at Carmax and then fly up to get it. Then, hopefully, drive back down with my new car! Thanks for everyone's Help. Anymore advice would be very helpful!
thanks again.
Melissa

:1: :p

#10 ·
mellimel Labor Day Woes

I bought a SL AWD from the Carmax in White Marsh MD outside of Baltimore. It was the best car buying experience I have ever had. They were all wonderful,even thought I kept them there until midnight!

I live in Northern VA and test drove the car several times at different dealerships knowing I would buy from Carmax. Then went to the web site and picked out the car I wanted. So I knew I was buying that night.

Sometimes they do not post all the options such as mud guards cargo mat and floor mats. Most of the big ticket items are listed. Call or email the dealer and tell them what you want. If they don't have it they will look for one for you.

Once again I highly reccomend them. The MSRP on mine was 34,880 and I paid 31,550 at the end of June.

Good luck!

#12 ·
UPDATE...

So I made a deal last Saturday on a new Black / Tan SL 2WD loaded.

I was treated well and they even had my MO sent over from another dealer because they didn't have my color in stock.

Though I could have haggled for a lower price, they were willing to work a deal at invoice, so rather than get my heart-rate up over another $500.00 or so, I just went ahead and did it. They even gave me ok money on my 14 year old trade (it was on its last two legs).

I love my MO!!!! The navigation system is a trip!

2003 350Z Touring
2003 Murano SL

What more could you ask for! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.