Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i went to a dealer to inquire about the shields. and like everyone here found out, they only have the ugly plastic ones. which i opted out for now.
but here's the thing!!! i went out to the new car lot and took a look at all the new mo's they had on the lot. guess what, every single one of the new cars have the aluminum shields (see attachment)!!!
what the heck is this? i guess nissan figured that they won't able to sell the new cars anymore if they install the ugly plastic ones on them...but why do we get only the plastic ones??!!?!?!
i'm wondering if we can request these aluminum ones from nissan directly and then bring it into the dealer to install them?

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
The answer is simple:

NNA knows that it would be a bit more difficult to sell a new MO with the plastic fuel tank shield hanging down like a dozer blade.

And the plastic shields are obviously less expensive than the aluminum ones.

There is more immediate profit ($Xk) in selling a new vehicle than making repairs to a vehicle (no profit. just a loss).

·
Registered
263 Posts
I only want aluminum shield for my MO.
I don't want to have the plastic shield which you can see from the side view. What are the chance of fuel leak if you dont take any action at all. I rather not have it done, if plastic is all they have.
BTW do you guys know there's another recall about fuel tank, other than fuel shied? There's a fuel tank clasp that might brake off, I think that's what my dealer told me. Going next week to the dealer, so I'm going to find out.

Nizmo

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Nizmo said:
I only want aluminum shield for my MO.
I don't want to have the plastic shield which you can see from the side view. What are the chance of fuel leak if you dont take any action at all. I rather not have it done, if plastic is all they have.
BTW do you guys know there's another recall about fuel tank, other than fuel shied? There's a fuel tank clasp that might brake off, I think that's what my dealer told me. Going next week to the dealer, so I'm going to find out.
Nizmo-

The other fuel tank recall is due to a bad vapor recovery fitting that is welded to the tank. I believe it pertains to certain '05 vehicles only.

This is from a post by Jim C. that explains the reason for the fuel tank shield recall: ODI HAS RECEIVED FOUR CONSUMER COMPLAINTS OF THE FUEL TANKS BEING PUNCTURED BY ROAD DEBRIS DURING NORMAL DRIVING (NON OFF-ROAD CONDITIONS) IN 2004 AND 2005 MODEL YEAR NISSAN MURANOS. THE RESULT OF EACH OF THE PUNCTURES HAS BEEN FUEL LEAKAGE AT THE PUNCTURE AND SUBSEQUENT NEED FOR FUEL TANK REPLACEMENTS. TWO OF THE CONSUMERS HAVE REPORTED PUNCTURES ON THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE FUEL TANK. ONE CONSUMER REPORTED A PUNCTURE ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE OF THE FUEL TANK. THE FOURTH CONSUMER REPORTED MULTIPLE PUNCTURES. THREE OF THE INCIDENTS OCCURRED AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. THE FOURTH INCIDENT OCCURRED AT APPROXIMATELY 15 MPH WHILE MAKING A LEFT TURN. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS THE FREQUENCY, SCOPE, AND SAFETY CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT.

Four punctured tanks in two years. That's four tanks out of how many cars? Driven how many total miles? The chances are slim that it will happen to you, but is it worth the risk? That's the big question.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
Hi njjoe,

Why do you have to make me think?
OK, did some calculations.

Assumptions.
Nissan sold 50,000 cars/year in years 03/04/05; Each car traveled 20k/year. There were reported 4 incidents with tank punctures. So the incident frequency is 6.7e-10 incidents/mile traveled or if one prefers one (1) incident per 1.6 billion miles traveled…….

You guys do what ever you want. For what it is worth I am taking this bloody ugly thing from my car and designing my own solution. And looking at the probability of that happening (tank puncture) – I would be OK not doing anything! But this is me, you do what is good for you.

PS. I know, the numbers might be off (number of cars sold, miles traveled) but it still gives an indication of the real picture….

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I use rounding when it comes to statistical work.
I came up with one incident every not very often.
And there appears to be even less chance of a serious problem.

To those who believe that safety is paramount.
I agree.
That is why I am painting, with a 4 Inch Paint brush and a gallon of Purple (Works good with gold) Flat Exterior latex, the words LOOK OUT! across the front of my car.
It might look like crap, but at least it will make it safer for me. :rolleyes:
OK, not.

The point is, there is little to no real chance of a problem and the addition of the plastic shield is, like the purple paint, really ugly.

Homer

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
hmm, i've had this sheild for about a month now. i'm gonna go under and see how many significant rock dents i can find on it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Does the Alu shield retrofit to the older models as simply as the plastic one or did NISSAN change the undercairrage on the 06 to accomodate the Alu shield?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kris-

I apologize. I didn't mean to make you think, especially before noon. :D

I like your analogy. :)

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
njjoe

no worries mate! as some of my friends would say......;)

I am trying to stimulate my brain with something useful, and I guess Nissan gave me one..:( .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts