Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have been concerned with a LCD readout on my 09 AWD SL. as you all may remember, I have been experiencing a delay in accuracy of this readout.
I have been told that the readout is displayed as a average...
(How is this possible)
with the understanding that the digital mph/mpg only reads correct while a reset has been initiated while the vehicle is moving above 20mph but it seems to stop reporting any realtime info until another reset is initiated during forward motion, Please see screenshots of the actual LCD in comparison to the speedometer needle.
I was hoping that some of these dashboard cluster readouts would be corrected once the input & output speed sensors along with the wheel speed sensors were replaced, no such luck, can anyone put forth any ideas as to how this can be repaired ?

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can download a copy of the 2009 owner's manual from here to better understand how you should interpret that display:

Thanks for that link, I have seen it in my own manuel. unfortunately it does not resolve my issue, as you can see in the attachment I have included in this response, the owners Manuel states that the system should update approx every 30 seconds and therefore it is able to derive a average calculation.
and on my vehicle the LCD dose not update in a timely fashion, therefore throwing off the readout display.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,093 Posts
A question - how much is it off? Is it enough to matter?

I never worry about the readouts until I'm down to about a half-tank, because it takes a lot of miles for the average not to jump around from one hard acceleration or coasting down a long hill.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I never worry about the readouts until I'm down to about a half-tank, because it takes a lot of miles for the average not to jump around from one hard acceleration or coasting down a long hill.
unfortunately I do not know the answer to that question, the amount of MPG or mph that you are referring to is unknown because there are times that the readout doesn't change at all... as seen in these screen shots taken 2 min apart.

I am primarily concerned about the miles per hour readout & the analog readout that the speedometer shows and them not being even close to the same, I am trying to determine whether or not this car has a much bigger problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
If it's like most MPG trip computers, it displays the average MPG achieved for the average MPH since reset.

It sounds to me like you expect it to display the current MPH like a digital speedometer would...

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I think if you study the information shown in the screenshot you posted in post#3, you will better understand how to interpret the display...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

If it's like most MPG trip computers, it displays the average MPG achieved for the average MPH since reset.

It sounds to me like you expect it to display the current MPH like a digital speedometer would...
actually I would be satisfied if it were to update anywhere near every thirty seconds like it is supposed to, at this point I can't get a accurate number, and have no idea what my fuel economy looks like.

I am looking at the estimated mpg on the trip meter and the gas guage as well as the main display.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think if you study the information shown in the screenshot you posted in post#3, you will better understand how to interpret the display...
so my justification for questioning the display is that I should not be driving at 60 mph and have the system tell me I'm driving 10 miles an hour for 10 to 15 minutes out a time....or worse, 65mph and 58 mpg

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
For an MPG test (and to test the display's accuracy,) fill you gas tank, then reset the MPG trip computer. Then next time you get gas, check your MPG manually using the number of miles you've traveled, and the amount of gas you just added. Then compare the result to the display's average MPG since the reset. I have generally found my '03 and '19 the MPG trip computers to be 10-15% optimistic...

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Administrator
9,093 Posts
Agreed, ^^ I understand that it's great to see a system working precisely as designed, but functionally I don't see the big deal about updating every 30 seconds. If you're not sure the fuel readout is accurate, for the next few fill-ups do a manual calculation and see how close the computer is. Any cell phone can divide miles traveled by gallons used, and if you're within a couple of MPG you're OK. There is some variation in how full the tank is each time, so there's room for variance.

You don't really need an accurate number every 30 seconds, mileage on any one tank is pretty inconsequential. When you spot a trend over a number of fill-ups, that's info you can actually use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agreed, ^^ I understand that it's great to see a system working precisely as designed, but functionally I don't see the big deal about updating every 30 seconds. If you're not sure the fuel readout is accurate, for the next few fill-ups do a manual calculation and see how close the computer is. Any cell phone can divide miles traveled by gallons used, and if you're within a couple of MPG you're OK. There is some variation in how full the tank is each time, so there's room for variance.

You don't really need an accurate number every 30 seconds, mileage on any one tank is pretty inconsequential. When you spot a trend over a number of fill-ups, that's info you can actually use.
everything you have suggested makes sense and really inconsequential to my original concern which was why was the MPH on the dot matrix reading incorrectly....NOT MPG.
please see last upload photo.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts