Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2017 Murano Platinum - purchased brand new. Today found water leak on both sides of the car hatch and accumulated 2+ inches in the tire well where the spare tire is kept. This is ridiculous. This has never happened until now. We encountered our first heavy rain last night. Live in Washington, rain is common. The car was at the dealership 2 weeks ago for an oil change and for the most recent recall fix. Any chance the dealership could have done something to cause this or is this a known problem of the 2017 Murano? Images attached.

Recommended course of action?

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do you have a moonroof? Not sure if anyone that had the leak issues from the moonroof drains had water pooling in the same area but it may be the case.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would be willing to bet it's related to the moonroof.

There has been several posts on here regarding leaks into the interior. The usual suspect is a clogged drain line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a moonroof? Not sure if anyone that had the leak issues from the moonroof drains had water pooling in the same area but it may be the case.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I do have a moonroof. I will check the drains.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would be willing to bet it's related to the moonroof.

There has been several posts on here regarding leaks into the interior. The usual suspect is a clogged drain line.
Thank you, I will be checking clogged drain line today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The official result from Dealership: Clogged Drain in sunroof. Unfortunately not covered by warranty. Clearly, this is a DESIGN FLAW in the vehicle. My car is 3 years old with 30k miles. As much as I like my car, I am disappointed in this finding.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The official result from Dealership: Clogged Drain in sunroof. Unfortunately not covered by warranty. Clearly, this is a DESIGN FLAW in the vehicle. My car is 3 years old with 30k miles. As much as I like my car, I am disappointed in this finding.
Figured that was what your issue was. I haven’t had the issue yet on my 2019 but I expect it to happen based on it occurring to others. Hoping that people in the US have submitted a complaint to the Better Business Bureau so that an open record of the issue occurring is out there and the numbers become enough to show there is a design flaw if this isn’t common with all moonroof designs. I don’t actually use mine...didn’t want it but had to get it if I wanted the premium package but it’s my understanding that I might still experience the leaking due to drain tubes dislodging. I think it’s been mentioned on here if you don’t want to unclog the drain yourself that it’s definitely cheaper to go somewhere other than Nissan to get it done.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If there is ever a class action suit, I'm in! My sunroof leak, from every corner consecutively, was never resolved. I gave up and got one without a roof. It's not my first leaky sunroof, but it will be my last.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do I check for this and/or unclog it on my own? I am having same problem, 3 yrs old and under 30k also a 2017 murano platinum 🙁

·
Registered
7 Posts
If there is ever a class action suit, I'm in! My sunroof leak, from every corner consecutively, was never resolved. I gave up and got one without a roof. It's not my first leaky sunroof, but it will be my last.
I have the same problem. I was able to clear the drain on the passenger side myself, but the driver's side continues to leak..i have had ZERO other issues with my 2016 Murano. 89,000 miles.

·
Registered
347 Posts
How do I check for this and/or unclog it on my own? I am having same problem, 3 yrs old and under 30k also a 2017 murano platinum 🙁
Hi, The sunroof drains are at each corner of the sunroof assembly. Where is yours leaking? The front ones are barely visible when you open the roof, hold down the wind deflector and look in the corners. There are some other threads on here as well as YouTube videos on how to try and unclog on your own. My suggestion, is to find a trustworthy mechanic or body shop to look at them. The rear ones are impossible and require the headliner to be lowered, although someone somewhere did check without lowering it, I know I'd mangle it so I didn't.

All sunroofs have the same basic set up, I don't know why there seems to be so many leaks with Murano. I suspect it's either a case of water overload, faulty connectors, angles, or the whole assembly. I love the car which is why I cut my losses on the roof and just leased one without it. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my Murano new only 1k after rain. The water leak was on the left side of luggage. Water were accumulated under spare tire and under foot of left rear passenger. I have disassembled side trims. The drainage pipe from moonroof has been bent 90° and as a result rain water goes outside pipe. This is a manufacturer's assembly defect. I have repaired pipe and assembled it back. The problem is gone.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts