Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backed the MO out of the garage this AM, realized I forgot something, ran back in and noticed a puddle near the passenger rear tire location. It looked like water but I bent down and felt it and it was greasy. Most assuredly not water. I immediately took her down to the service department for service. (After verifing I had sufficient fluid in the brake reservoir and that the brakes still worked) My Mo only has 3600 miles. What gives. Has anyone else had a problem like this on a brand new MO?

Pacmo

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
pacmo-

It is obviously not a wide-spread problem.

Let us know what the service guys find.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
I believe it is first such problem reported here. It could be an faulty oring, loose hose connection, cracked connection, broken hose......anyway, I do not think it will be difficult to repair.

Let us know what was wrong.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

Well I just got off the phone with the service manager and it turns out not to be the brakes at all. It is a blown shock! I never got under the vehicle to trace back the source of the fluid since I was dressed for work. Of course now they do not have the shock in stock so I will have to wait for the part to arrive (3 to 4 days). Oh well. At least I can drive the Mo until the parts arrive. So I guess my next question is, are blown shocks a common problem on new Mo's. Do I need to be worried about the other three shocks? I will ask the service manager about the other three when I pick her up. They are also going to fix the rocking drivers seat too but of course they don't have the parts for that either!

Thanks,
Pacmo

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Update

pacmo said:
Well I just got off the phone with the service manager and it turns out not to be the brakes at all. It is a blown shock! I never got under the vehicle to trace back the source of the fluid since I was dressed for work. Of course now they do not have the shock in stock so I will have to wait for the part to arrive (3 to 4 days). Oh well. At least I can drive the Mo until the parts arrive. So I guess my next question is, are blown shocks a common problem on new Mo's. Do I need to be worried about the other three shocks? I will ask the service manager about the other three when I pick her up. They are also going to fix the rocking drivers seat too but of course they don't have the parts for that either!

Thanks,
Pacmo
I have heard of blown rear shocks, so I guess a front one is not impossible. Glad to hear it was not a brake problem!

Seriously, if you suspected a brake fluid leak, why did you brave driving to the dealer? I would have been paranoid of "no brakes, pedal to the floor" and called for a tow truck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: Update

Eric L. said:

I have heard of blown rear shocks, so I guess a front one is not impossible. Glad to hear it was not a brake problem!

Seriously, if you suspected a brake fluid leak, why did you brave driving to the dealer? I would have been paranoid of "no brakes, pedal to the floor" and called for a tow truck.
In hind sight it does seem a little (make that a lot stupid) . I did get in and jam the brakes pretty hard and everything felt fine and the dealership is not very far from my house (Maybe 3 miles). I just didn't want to deal with the inconvenience of waiting for and then paying a tow truck to come and get me. Looking back now it could have been really bad if it really was a brake problem. :confused: Oh well thank goodness it wasn't a brake problem after all.

pacmo

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Re: Re: Update

Eric L. said:
On modern cars, the brake master cylinder has separate chambers for front and rear and even if you have a complete failure in either front or rear, you will still have some braking power.

Some years ago a freind of mine took the left front caliper off of his 90 300Z for repair, and to free up space in the garage, put the wheel back on and pushed the car outside. Well, his wife came, saw the car on all four wheels, and took off for work with it! My friend did not know about this until later that evening when she drove back from work and complained to her husband that the brakes did not feel as good as they used to be...:D

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Update

zebelkhan said:
Some years ago a freind of mine took the left front caliper off of his 90 300Z for repair, and to free up space in the garage, put the wheel back on and pushed the car outside. Well, his wife came, saw the car on all four wheels, and took off for work with it! My friend did not know about this until later that evening when she drove back from work and complained to her husband that the brakes did not feel as good as they used to be...:D
Z-

Now that is crazy. Driving with a defective rear brake is one thing, but driving with only one front brake is absolute madness. Your friend's wife is lucky she didn't rear-end someone or hit the brake and swerve into the next lane.

Though I would have loved to have seen the look on the husband's face when his wife told her tale. :D

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Update

zebelkhan said:

On modern cars, the brake master cylinder has separate chambers for front and rear and even if you have a complete failure in either front or rear, you will still have some braking power.

You are right, all brakes are dual circuit systems, so a leak will still leave you with one front and one rear brake, usually diagonally opposed. I still wouldn't risk driving the car in such a situation though!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
If you look at the brake master cylinder you will see two brake lines coming from it. The rear line, labeled "primary" in the Service Manual, feeds the right-front and left-rear brakes, the front line, labeled "secondary", feeds the left-front and right-rear brakes.

Years ago the split used to be front and rear (as opposed to diagonal) when disc brakes were only mounted on the fronts.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Update

njjoe said:
Though I would have loved to have seen the look on the husband's face when his wife told her tale. :D
I think the look on the wife's face after she found out she was driving a car with no brakes was more interesting....

I guess the point is that the car would still have functioning brakes, granted, not anywhere close to if all are working, but enough to stop the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts