Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2005 Murano that seems to be leaking oil around the oil pan. I have done some research and it appears, to be a real task to replace the oil pan gasket. Has anyone tried stop or leak product? Would running heavier weight oil help? Any suggestions would be a appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hello, I have a 2005 Murano that seems to be leaking oil around the oil pan. I have done some research and it appears, to be a real task to replace the oil pan gasket. Has anyone tried stop or leak product? Would running heavier weight oil help? Any suggestions would be a appreciated. Thanks
First gen Murano's are know to have rust issues with the oil pan itself, not just the gasket leaking.

Plan on having the pan replaced when doing the gasket. Really not expensive.

Heavier oil won't help and won't help the engine in general either.

Standard tools needed, nothing special except an inconvenient work location without a lift. Easy two hour job for an semi-experienced DIYer.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul. I guess, I will get the pan and gasket and get to work. Doesn't sound as bad as I thought!

·
Registered
283 Posts

Can you confirm exactly where the leak is? Another potential leak issue is the seal behind the oil cooler (...the oil filter is mounted to the oil cooler). Simpler job than dropping the lower oil pan.

And please, DO NOT USE A STOP LEAK PRODUCT!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agree with "I need coffee" comment. Before you go through the trouble of replacing the oil pan seal, check if it's the oil cooler seal, which is right behind the filter. This is a common problem on this generation of Murano. It's easy to be mistaken as pan seal leak if not inspected closely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spray the whole engine with degreaser and wash off with a low pressure water from tap (never use high pressure cleaner in engine bay .. unless you want multiple electrical problems).

Drive car around for a day or 2.

Then check engine for oil leaks again .. look for fresh oil, this should pin point the exact location(s)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here’s my video for the oil pan:

https://youtu.be/ya09MW5RxB0

And for the oil cooler gasket/o-ring:

https://youtu.be/zVtbkBiRU2U

I also recommend you check for the actual source of the leak first. The o-ring can mimic a pan gasket leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the videos and the information. I am learning about the Murano. I think you are right about the oil cooler gasket. I haven't started any work yet because it has been so hot here, however I plan on replacing the gasket first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
wingman47
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing