Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:idea: This information is from a press release and other areas on the Jatco website.

From http://www.jatco.co.jp

JATCO’s new belt-type CVT is built on Nissan’s “Murano”,

JATCO’s new belt-type CVT for large front-wheel drive vehicles is built on Nissan’s “Murano”, new large size, first-class SUV (Sports Utility Vehicle) launched at the end of 2002 for the North-Ameria market. JATCO became the first in the world to successfully develop and mass produce belt-type CVT for 3.5-liter-class Engines. For structural reason, it is supposed to be difficult to create belt-type CVT for large displacement cars. But, this CVT handles the large torque from 3.5-liter Engine through our accumulated technological capability and research and development.

See the principles of the Murano's CVT in action... (Requires Flash player)
http://www.jatco.co.jp/E_JATCO/PLAZA/THATS/TAIKEN/T_CVT.HTM

Who are Jatco's customers?

NISSAN MOTOR CO.,LTD.
MAZDA MOTOR CORPORATION
FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES LTD.
MITSUBISHI MOTORS CORPORATION
ISUZU MOTORS LIMITED
NISSAN DIESEL MOTOR CO.,LTD.
SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION
BMW AG
VW AG
LAND ROVER GROUP LTD
MG ROVER GROUP LTD
HYUNDAI MOTOR COMPANY
KIA MOTORS CORPORATION
JAGUAR CARS LTD.
DAEWOO MOTOR CO., LTD.
LONDON TAXIS INTERNATIONAL
FORD-WERKE AG
RENAULT SAMSUNG MOTORS CO.,LTD.

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe the Mini's CVT is a Jatco product?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Mini's CVT is a ZF product and it uses a different design - instead of a torque converter it uses a set of electronic clutches.

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric L. said:
Mini's CVT is a ZF product and it uses a different design - instead of a torque converter it uses a set of electronic clutches.
I know it uses clutches instead, but that doesn't mean they can't source some of the guts from Jatco. That belt looks exactly the same... I wonder if the design is patented?

As far as torque goes, check out Enforcers page on the CVT

http://www.lasercannon.com/cvt.htm

I don't recall the conversion from N/m to ft/lbs...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I suppose anything is possible, but ZF is a very mature transmission company on its own. In the PDF link I posted about the Mini ZF CVT, it is interesting to note that the maintenance interval for that transmission is fluid changes every 45000km (or 30000 miles).

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bet Enforcer knows!;)

Now is that the case because the clutches dump junk into it as they wear and break down the fluid with their friction?

Wouldn't that be interesting if the Murano's service life is longer, because of the design...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
jaak said:
I bet Enforcer knows!;)

Now is that the case because the clutches dump junk into it as they wear and break down the fluid with their friction?

Wouldn't that be interesting if the Murano's service life is longer, because of the design...

Yes that is quite possible, since without bands or clutches, there isn't much to wear out in the CVT. I am thinking the severe duty cycle (60k intervals) is mainly due to the increased heat generated by towing or offroading, which breaks down the fluid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts