Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a graduation party this past weekend, and it was real hot out, so I opened all my windows on the MO. Well I was in a basement playen some pool when I herd that it had rained pretty hard outside, I was hopen someone would have told me my windows where open or shut them for me, somethen, but nope.

The inside of the MO was completely soaked, there was a puddle on the center console, basically just really wet inside. Now I have cloth seats and was wondering what I could do to get this sort of mildewey smell out. It is very moist inside. Now I have already left it in my garage for about 48 hours with the windows open to dry it out. But this mourning when I got in it, the smell nocked me out . The seats are still a little wet too, now that I think about it. Should I just leave it in the garage longer, or just get some air fresheners. Or is there somethen special I can get or do.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Bummer.

I've had a few occasions where a car got wet. What you need is a few hours outdoors on a breezy, sunny day. The garage time helps, but you need some airflow. Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks, I just went outside and opened the windows, it's a little sunny out, but it kinda looks like rain, hopefully I can get some air flow through it.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
You could leave the car running with the windows and sunroof open and the heat on full blast (with the AC also on). You might burn a few gallons of gas but its better than mildew Murano!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Sorry to hear.... if the humdity level is low in your area drive with the windows down when ever possible..... if humidity level is high then drive with windows up and AC on. When you park leave windows open as much as possible (all four).

Eventually it will dry... not sure about the smell though. What ever you do DON'T put a tree freshner in... the smell of thoose things will kill you! :crazyeye:

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I left the sunroof open on my CRX once during a hard rain and literally had pools of standing water in each of the seats and the floor. LOTS of water.

The next day was sunny, so I unbolted the seats and layed them out in the sun completely separate from the car. Then got a shop vac to suck up all the water in the interior, parked the car in the sun, and hooked up some box fans to really get the air flowing through the car.

The seats took the longest to dry out, but by the end of the day everything was dry and I never had a problem with discoloration or smell (the two things that I was really worried about). But I did learn my lesson and never left my sunroof open after that! :)

Not sure how easy it would be to remove the seats of the MO. Since it's already smelling, you might want to get the interior professionally cleaned. With the right cleaning tools and the professional knowledge, they should be able to take care of it pretty well, and I wouldn't think that it would be THAT expensive (under $100). You don't want to end up with mold growing in the interior a few months down the road.

·
4,601 Posts
I'd be tempted to do what Corin says. First thing would be the shop vac on everything that can be vacuumed to pull as much water out as possible.

You could even get a dehumidfier and stick it in the back, with it all closed up, and keep draining it. Just use it to suck out as much as possible.

After you've done your best to dry it, if it still smells, I'd wonder about a light misting of Febreeze or something like that. It's amazing what that stuff will pull out. My wife, daughter and I got stuck in a flea bag hotel last summer for a night, that smelled like it had 40 chain smokers the previous night. It was gross. Well, off to the store we went, came back with some of that and I was absolutely amazed as to how well it worked! I couldn't smell any smoke after the place was done. (I suppose it causes cancer in lab rats as a result, too....)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info and suggestions!

It has been pretty hot out today while I have been at work. I have left all the windows open a little and it seems to be worken. A professional cleaning sounds like a good idea. I will keep ya updated.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm with Jaak on using Febreze. Its GREAT stuff. There is also an antimicrobial version now that will probably kill any residual mold/mildew. Don't worry about toxicity of Febreze generally. Its made with a starch based odor absorber (kind of like corn starch) that traps odor molecules. The solvent is alcohol based and then there's some fragrance added. All pretty innocuous stuff overall. As for the antibac version, since its EPA registered, it should be relatively safe when used as directed (i.e., don't go eating the stuff! ;)). A good treatment with Febreze and a thorough vacuuming once every thing is dry ought to do the trick.

·
4,601 Posts
True.... and if you let it sit in the driveway, you can hear the water drip on to the exhaust as it sucks it out of the interior!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
jaak said:
True.... and if you let it sit in the driveway, you can hear the water drip on to the exhaust as it sucks it out of the interior!
Hehehehe good one! :29:

·
4,601 Posts
Yeah, that one still worries me a bit. I'd like to know the impact on the exhaust as a result... :( I just hope it's after the cat' converter...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I left the windows open for about 3 days in the sun (when I had the chance to), and the smell is gone. I still think I am going to get some fabreeze cause my "new car" smell is gone. Thanks you all for the suggestions.

·
Registered
55 Posts
EZ - glad to hear everything worked out OK for you. No problems with any of the electronics?

There's a lesson to be learned here: NEVER forgo the opportunity to impress a large group of buddies by remotely rolling down the windows via the key fob ;)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
BigRedNJ said:
EZ - glad to hear everything worked out OK for you. No problems with any of the electronics?

There's a lesson to be learned here: NEVER forgo the opportunity to impress a large group of buddies by remotely rolling down the windows via the key fob ;)
Most people I drive in the Murano are so ignorant they never notice me remotely rolling down the windows. They just say, "hey you left your windows open!"

I've noticed that the Murano's remote range is much much less than on my 97 Maxima also with the factory keyless entry and remote window rolldown. However, the AC on the Murano is much much better than the Maxima's so it doesn't matter in the end.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hey don't feel bad, my new car smell was gone not long after consuming a can of Bush's baked beans and a couple of hot dogs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have not noticed any electrical problems, but my center console does not adjust right now. I push the button in to make it a little longer and it stays pressed in. I have tryed worken with it, to loosen it, and get some of the- what ever is in there making friction out or worked in. Other then that nothen else thankfully.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
elliotgb said:
Hey don't feel bad, my new car smell was gone not long after consuming a can of Bush's baked beans and a couple of hot dogs.

Hehehehe! Good one. Ur my hero. :6:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts