Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a much better car and deal at Lexus and bought the RX300 yesterday below what I could have gotten the Murano for w/ similar equipment and a far better ride and interior comfort, sans power of course. You better sell your stock quick because the Infinity FX45 is coming out in Feb. and will make the Murano look like a shell of a car w/ it's 300 HP 4.5 liter engine, 20 in. wheels and superior ride and handling. I kinda wish I waited, but just found out about it after I picked up the RX300. I'll drive it for 2 yrs and get most of my $ back and maybe then I can afford a FX45! But I know it's out of my league for now anyway and I was ready to buy. I doubt if the Murano resale value is any where near the Lexus.

It was a good tease for a while, but after I drove several and compared it's drive and features w/ the Acura MDX , Lexus, Honda Pilot, Toyoto Highlander, Buick Rendeveaux, Hundea Sante Fe, and Saturn Vue, it came away a weak 3rd place, just above the Toyoto Highlander and Honda Pilot, right where it belongs, (and where it should be priced). You still get more for your $ on the Toyota and Honda, but it has a lot of gee whiz looks and features that make it slightly better, but these may fade quick when the Infinity makes the showroom in February.

I still haven't figured out why Nissan is not advertising the Murano?? Not a peep on the TV, radio or newsapers except an occaisional mention in the classifieds w/o any fanfare at all.

The Acura and Lexus dealerships were in a class above the others, and that really makes a difference for me. I found some classy sales people at one Maxima dealership, but the dealership itself was like all the others, just a meat market. Toyota and Honda were even worse and none of them made me feel important or comfortable being around their showroom without feeling like a vulture's prey. The rest of the amenities with the dealership were all second rate, and even the one Infinity salesman turned me off until I re-visited their store yesterday. I feel like I have built a strong relationship with the Acura and Lexus dealers and will continue to visit them when I'm looking for my next car, (when my 2000 Maxima is due for a trade). They are all knowledgeble about their product, not like Nissan and the rest where I had to tell them about their cars and their competition.

Well, thanks for the forum, and I'm sure the Murano will suite many loyal Nissan fans. It didn't live up to the Maxima reputation for excellant ride, so we opted for the Lexus at a lower price. Maybe Nissan is waiting on their new Maxima to continue as their flagship car and the Murano would jusgt be a short flash-in-the-pan that would distract from their thunder. Who knows?

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the forum.

·
4,664 Posts
Wow... I 'm happy I don't live in the US, as the pricing in Canada is at least 12K higher for the RX300 vs. the Murano... Unless you're leasing, in which case, they can play with the numbers.

As far as the Infinity goes, I don't care how good it is, if it's just plain hideous. And it is. Of course, that's just my opinion, but I'm not going to buy a vehicle that makes me want to grab an air sickness bag. The taillights on the 5th Gen Max are bad enough. (Not to mention how ugly the new one is...)

I'm sure you'll like your RX300... It looks nice. But I can't justify 51K CDN for a vehicle, when I can see something I like, for 12K less...

Although, I am agonizing as to when I let go my 2K Max, as it's a great car!

Enjoy the Lexus! They do have great resale, my brother's bought two used ones, driven them for 3 years and got a great deal of his cash back...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love the 2K Maxima also, and now I will be driving our Black Beauty since I got the RDX for my wife.

·
4,664 Posts
Sounds like you have it pretty good...

My wife has a company Taurus. I refer to it, as "The Truck", which makes her laugh, because she's driven the Max as well. She understands.

I'm sure the Lexus will be nice. I looked at it, when I saw your post, but the $ difference is too much. I might consider it, if it was cheaper. (Like me :wink: )

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got my RX300 for $35,600 (invoice at $34,816 and it listed at $39,636 after factory value discount of $2,000) vs. similarly equipped Murano and Acura RDX at their list prices of $36,329 and $38,800, respectively. I didn't negotiate w/ the Murano dealer, but doubt if I could get $1,000 knocked off their list and the Acura dealer just added some extra items (about $400) for no cost. Since the Lexus package was exactly what we wanted, we were really pleased. I know the RX330 is coming out this spring, but I don't know how much that will devalue the RX300.

·
4,664 Posts
Just goes to show, there's some weird pricing changes when you go across the border to Canada.

The Murano starts at 39,500 CDN(25,007 U.S.), and the RX300 starts at 51,600 CDN (32,668 U.S.) for the base models.

A loaded RX300 is $54,386 CDN ($34,431 U.S.) and a loaded Murano with the NAV is $49,900 ($31,592 U.S.). I can see that it wouldn't be hard for Lexus to meet the Nissan pricing, if you're buying at the high end.

Not knowing the configuration you looked at, I can see Nissan's giving a better price in Canada, than Lexus, at the entry level, so they'd have to discount that much more to make it attractive. Since I find the entry level Murano has what I want, it's appealing, and there's a big price spread to the RX300. But it's certainly worth looking at the RX300 if you're looking at the high end!!!

One thing that does happen here, for obvious reasons, is people will try to buy in Canada and export to the U.S. to save money. Sometimes the pricing is out of whack enough to make it worthwhile.

FYI, the pricing came from www.nissan.ca and www.lexus.ca and the conversion was done at 0.6331 using the quick currency converter at www.bankofcanada.ca (There's always someone who wants to know...)
The RX300 pricing has the floor mats and cargo net added, with the coach edition, for the high end. (Who wouldn't want floor mats???)

When it's time to sell or trade-in the RX300, I suspect it may do better than the Murano. So financially, it's probably a much better deal.

But if I was trying to save money, I wouldn't be looking at an SUV in the first place. I still think the Murano's a beautiful thing to look at, and it seems like it drives like my Maxima, so I'm hooked. Maybe I'll test drive an RX300, just for fun...

For me, it's an emotional buy, with the logical side trying to find ways to talk me out of it. So far I'm not finding reasons, not to buy a Murano... I'll have to try the RX, just to make sure!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wow! I'm glad I don't have to buy a car in Canada.

It's funny how the vehicles compare. I purchased a Murano SL fwd that stickered for $32,700. The equivalent RX300 Fwd is $38,116.

Just go with the one you like and you can't go wrong! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like the Murano is the best buy at the low end, particularly the fwd. At the upper end, the Murano has to compete with Lexus and Acura and the ride/comfort/features aren't up to their luxury levels, and the price is generally less as it should be. I've always thought Nissan wasn't poised to compete in their class as that's Infiniti's territory. If you want the low end Lexus or Acura you should be looking at the Toyota and Honda, and Murano seems to be a better vehicle. I never focused on these comparisons, so I don't know which would be better. When I coud get the RX300 for $800 over invoice, I jumped at it. I don't see that happening for the Murano, Acura or Honda for some time yet.

I'm still waiting for the Murano ad campaign! Has anyone seen anything yet? I am still waiting to see one on the road too. They must be real rare in the showrooms, so the dealers can name their price. I've heard some were discounted almost $2K, but I expect that's pretty rare. They say this is the last year for the Pathfinder, at least in it's present form, so they will likely be discounting them like they have the Maxima.

·
4,664 Posts
Oh, one more note....

There is no FWD Murano in Canada.

Those prices are for AWD and many options are standard, such as the Cold Weather package... (Hey who would buy one without that, in Canada!!!)

·
Registered
82 Posts
hmmm, i think me and canada are going to be real good friends!...

as far as the "murano campaign", i haven't seen a commercial either. actually, i don't really care if it has one or not or that it should have one out by now. personally, i think people shouldn't rely on a commercial to help them decide whether they're going to purchase a product or not. infiniti hasn't launched a commercial yet (just billboards) for it's new g35 coupe and it's been available for more than 2 months. i don't see them on the road either, BUT, it looks good-real good. the same with the new m45. they just launched commercials for the 350z. i think it's the norm for manufactuers to delay in their marketing efforts to push a new product.

now the comparisons?! first, lexus is a luxury manufactuer. can't compare to nissan (or vice versa), so, yeah, it's going to ride better, feel better (IT BETTER). the mdx is almost 10k more than the murano, so, yeah, it's going to perform 10k better. yeah, i'm exaggerating in price but you get my point.

ok, can i comment on the new 2k4 maxima? from the pictures that i've seen, not impressed. from the side, it looks like the altima. guess i will have to wait to see it on the streets.

·
Registered
116 Posts
In addition to what Dubfly mentioned, with Lexus and Acura, roadside assistance is included. The 2002 Acura RSX I traded in on the Murano had roadside assistance. I just spent $11,000 more for a Nissan and it doesn't come with roadside assistance. Being a AAA member, it's not that important but it's too bad they can't include that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It seems that many people are stuck on comparing the Murano with the Acura MDX or Lexus RX300 and keep coming to the conclusion that Nissan isn't a luxury brand. This is true and a fairer comparison would be the Ford Explorer, GMC Envoy, Chevy Trailblazer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Honda Pilot, and Toyota Highlander to name a few midsize SUVs that it does compete with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You might be right that it was targetted at competing with those vehicles and brands, but unfortunately, when looking at the configuration I want, its priced the same as the Lexus and Acura and has the same basic features. Thus why those are my comparisons.

If they didn't want to be compared against those, they simply shouldn't have priced it comparable to them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i agree with taylormade.

i still don't understand how the murano can be compared to the rx300 or the mdx when both base models start at 35k and the murano starts at 28k. i mean, acura is the luxury of honda-lexus is the luxury of toyota and infiniti is the luxury of nissan...so there is no comparison. they are luxury and luxury cars will always "feel" better. but oh well. movin on... :D

for the record, i'm buying a murano (in about a month or 2). in it's class, murano has the edge. hilander-plllease (too plain), pilot-NOT (although i love hondas-weak first try), ford, buick-keep trying as always!

as always, just my opinion...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well said Dubfly. The comparable FWD RX300 is $6000 more than the FWD Murano I purchased. I don't really consider that similar. Now if I was comparing the AWD Murano with the FWD RX300, then the prices would be similar. That would be comparing apples to oranges though.

Dub, I'm sure you'll love the Murano as much as I do. I almost bought a Pilot but then decided to take a look at the Murano. Honda quality is hard to beat. My '94 Accord had 170,000 miles on it when I traded it on an Acura RSX. After seeing and driving the Murano, however, I knew that was what I wanted. I'm 31 years old and not ready for a family wagon like the Pilot. The Murano is a perfect compromise between a car and a SUV with style, handling, and performance. Of course, that's just my opinion! :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Report after almost 2500 miles. AWD white SE.

:D We still love it. And we are quite knowledgable about cars. So...only a few little nit-picks. Can't remember right now what they are. Gas mileage is still not at 20mpg though, 19.6 right now. Of course can't expect it at 80mph I guess!! Any more feedback about regular versus premium performance? We haven't noticed any difference yet. Wish they had put a monaural switch on it for weak FM signal areas, though. Darrell. PS. After seeing a couple of Honda Pilots on our trip to Bay Area we are very happy we did not get one of those bland vehicles!! 8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
:eek: I chose to purchase a Murano because unlike the Lexus RX300, the Murano has sex appeal, similar fit and finish (I have owned Lexus products, i.e., IS300) and because I simply did not want to see myself coming and going. Lexus also has only one dealership in my area so if the service is hard to obtain or is too expensive, it is a monopoly game. I have four Nissan dealers within a couple hours drive and have choices.

The ride and comfort is just great with the Murano. I got a great deal and paid nowhere near MSRP with all kinds of extras.

On the downside, I would enjoy seeing a longer warranty period and at least some form of complimentary loaner program initiated.

I drove the Honda Pilot and thought I was in a truck...if the Murano did not have the manners of a car, I probably would not have considered it at all.

·
Registered
82 Posts
taylormade, i love the murano. i've been wanting an suv for over 3 years but never like their gas mileage or their bland boxiness. and i must say that i am proud that i held out...'til now.

i too am 31, single w/no kids and have a honda. 91 accord ex with 232k miles on it and it STILL purrs like she had 60k (when i bought it). too bad honda hasn't beaten nissan to the punch. i can't wait to get my murano and i can't wait to customize it too. and when i do, i will definitely post my murano up here so everyone can drool!!! 8) :lol: :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's awesome mileage Dub! To be honest, I'd probably still be driving the Accord if at the 170,000 mile maintenance, the problems diagnosed didn't cost more than the car was worth. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
2002 RX300

I live in suburban Chicago. They been unloading RX300's since August around here at nearly 3K below MSRP or more. but you have to remember, the new RX330 is due out in 60 days. You can bet NO discounts. AND the RX300 will immediately be a 1 year older car for the later years and be worth much less than a 2003. The Murano IS a 2003. Unless you keep a car many years, it is a delicate balancing act to accept a model-year-end (as well as body-style closer) discount vs taking the next year for more money. The depreciation is key.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts