Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From www.thecarconnection.com
--
Lexus announced today that its dealers have received more than 9000 pre-sold orders for the 2006 RX400h luxury gas-electric hybrid SUV through August month-end. The RX400h provides a powerful new performance dimension to the traditional hybrid advantages of high mileage and low emissions. "We've received significantly more pre-launch orders for the 400h than we've had for any vehicle in our entire fifteen-year history," said Lexus Group Vice President and General Manager, Denny Clements. "Although we're pleased with the early public response to the 400h, we are mindful of our need to respond to these customers in a timely manner," he added.

·
5,244 Posts
Very interesitng.........if the car is has performance similar to MO and a really good fuel economy, and ofcourse the price is right, hm, intreresting thought..........

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I suspect many of the customers preordering the RX400h care less for the performance and more for the prestige factor of owning a hybrid.

However I think the RX400h will have excellent performance - 270hp from the hybrid powertrain and over 30mpg. Sounds like a winning combination to me.

·
4,601 Posts
And if you think the Murano's alternator is expensive, wait 'til you see the cost of that one!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Jaak, I don't think lexus is prone to Hyperbole.

Yet they claim that their bateries will last "the life of the car".
Too early to see the warranty of course,but has there been some amazing battery break through?
I hope they are not talking about the Gel Bats. I've had two of those. And I was only supposed to have one. :rolleyes:
Any thoughts?

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The batteries in Toyota hybrids are of the nickel metal hydride type. Same as many rechargable batteries.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
JAAK
400H doesn't have an alternator as such. The motors generate electricity when coasting/braking.
Vehicle is quite small - only limited luggage capacity. Not adequate for 4 adults on a trip.
Will probably cost close to $50k US with all the stuff and markups. NO discounts from Lexus!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I was under the impression that the RX400h will be the same size interior as the normal RX330, which is comparable to the Murano in size.

·
4,601 Posts
It has to have an alternator or generator somewhere to convert the engine's rotations to electricity to charge the batteries.

Using the motors on the wheels to generate power from braking isn't new, and has always been a good idea. To a much lessor extent, your Murano does it. Ever notice how the CVT adjusts when you brake, to adjust the engine rpms? Especially in Ds. And that adjusts the alternator rpm. Which charges the battery when you slow down.

I used that technique to help braking on my slot car when I was a kid, but never bothered feeding it back into a battery, just burned it off in a resistor.

Now that brings back some cool memories... Must be 35 years ago, I was pulling out armatures and balancing them with a file and a pair of razor blades.

I couldn't drive it that well, but I'd smoke every one with a "stock" car in the straightaways... Well, until someone offered to buy it from me and then I'd go get another and do it all over again.

Yeah, it wasn't easy to get performance parts in my neighbourhood!:p

Just spent the last few minutes looking at Ford's GT website... Ohhh I want one! Red Please. With the stripe. Oh and a blue and silver as well, when I'm not in the mood for red....

Never mind the Lexus...

·
5,244 Posts
Ye, nice one, mean the GT......I want one too!

Only problem - it cost $150k+ :(

·
4,601 Posts
Actually, I was surprised.... I was reading a press release and they say it's well under $150K, but you know how that can change quickly with a limited run vehicle.

Considering what it does, I think it's a bargain. But I'm in a bit of a problem. If I get one, I'll have to pay off the lawyer when my wife divorces me, so I'll have to sell it right away....

Sigh, time to get a lottery ticket...;)

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I saw somewhere that the dealers are wanting a 100k premium on top of that to secure a purchase.
If I am to dream....a McLaren F1 would have to be the one.

Although...the F40 has always been one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen in person.

:D

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I was under the impression that the RX400h will be the same size interior as the normal RX330, which is comparable to the Murano in size.
It is, but not as wide, shorter wheelbase (by almost 5"), a lot less useable cargo room behind the rear seat.

JAAK- the electric motor generator combination is mounted at the rear axle

·
4,601 Posts
Now you've got me curious... I'll have to read up on it. Sounds like an interesting configuration!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Its true that the Murano is a tad larger than the lexus but not by much according to the specs:

RX330:
Front Head Room: 39.3 in.
Front Hip Room: 55.6 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 57.9 in.
Rear Head Room: 38.6 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 57.1 in.
Rear Hip Room: 55.1 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.5 in.
Rear Leg Room: 36.4 in.
Luggage Capacity: 31.9 cu. ft.
Maximum Cargo Capacity: 85 cu. ft.

Murano:
Front Head Room: 40.7 in.
Front Hip Room: 56.2 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 59.6 in.
Rear Head Room: 39.7 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 59.1 in.
Rear Hip Room: 56.6 in.
Front Leg Room: 43.4 in.
Rear Leg Room: 36.1 in.
Luggage Capacity: 32.6 cu. ft.
Maximum Cargo Capacity: 82 cu. ft.

·
5,244 Posts
mgthe3 said:
I saw somewhere that the dealers are wanting a 100k premium on top of that to secure a purchase.
If I am to dream....a McLaren F1 would have to be the one.

Although...the F40 has always been one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen in person.

:D
Ye, me too. Nothing come close to F40.......and of course it has to be red!!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
The true test of cargo capacity is packing real luggage. The RX failed my test. That's why I have a Murano!
Rear seat is much easier to get in and out of. Door doesn't interfere with ingress/egress.

·
Midnight Marauder
80 Posts
I own both the RX and the Mo and I find both of them to be pretty adequate for what we need... The Mo is a bit sportier, but the RX just oozes luxury. We turn heads in either one and I can pack just as many bags into the Mo as the RX...

Personally, I think the RX400h is a great idea and driving my wife's 330 makes me think more about the 400h in the future... I mean, why not? It gets car mileage, drives like a luxury car and it still holds everything I want to put inside of it, just like my Mo... now throw in a Mark Levinson sound system with the DVD Nav and back-up camera and I'll be all set!:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts