Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but didn't find anything specific on this. I think some coins have fallen down behind the change and cell phone pockets in the center console. Anyone know if there is an easy way to get those out without having to take the whole console apart?

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
this happened to me.
I was able to wrestle the offending coins out with a long heavy paperclip. I keep a third of the change in there since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The same thing happened to me. I tried like hell to dig those coins out...but...no luck. I took it to the dealer and they replaced both compartments under warranty. No cost to me at all.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to see what I can do since I'm many miles out of warranty. I do now keep alot less change in there now.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
You can pull the shifter cover completely and shake the coin out of the box! You should be able to take the cover off in less than 3 minutes. I have done it so many times I am down to less than 30 seconds now...:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
This happened to me but I fixed it.

The grey lined pocket is removeable. Pull it out and you'll be able to easily get the coins out. No tools required, just get your fingernails under the edge of the pocket.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Sgt_Beavis said:
This happened to me but I fixed it.

The grey lined pocket is removeable. Pull it out and you'll be able to easily get the coins out. No tools required, just get your fingernails under the edge of the pocket.
I think the coins are keeping the lids from opening...:4:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well they open about 3/4 of the way so I'll try that as soon as I can. Snowing now so maybe not today. Thanks all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
zebelkhan
Can you detail how you get the shifter cover off?
I took a look at mine and didn't see any pry points.
Thanks,
RickM46.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
RickM46 said:
zebelkhan
Can you detail how you get the shifter cover off?
I took a look at mine and didn't see any pry points.
Thanks,
RickM46.
First you need to remove the shifter knob. To do that:

1-Tightly grab the cover at the bottom of the shifter knob with your fingers and pull it down.
2-Under it you will see a retainer clip. Note the location and direction of the clip then remove it.
3-The knob will now slid off the shaft.
4- Put the retainer clip back on the knob and snap its the cover back on as well. When you are ready to put it back on the shaft all you will have to do is to drop it over the shaft and it will snap into place!
5- Open the cover for the front cup holder
6- Use a large screw driver, wrap the tip with some tape and carefully pry the shifter cover from the cup holder side. Once you are able to move it, it will come right off.
7-Lift the cover and disconnect the shifter light connector
8-Remove the cover. You are done!

In the future, if you ever have to remove the cover again you can use the ollowing method. This method however requires that both cell phone and coin holder lids completely open:

1- Remove shifter knob as described above
2- Remove the grey lined pockets from both cell and coin holders.
3- Put your index finger into the cell phone holder and your thumb in the coin holder
4-Pull up....and it come right off!

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well with just a few minutes of fooling with it I got the cell phone pocket fixed. The coin pocket isn’t opening far enough so I’ll take out the cell phone pocket again and use a paperclip or something to hopefully maneuver the coin into a good position.

·
4,601 Posts
Pick up the Murano, turn it upside down and shake it...

But seriously, Mr. Z's got the right idea. I had that happen to me once and it was such a PIA to sort out, I've been careful since to ensure I don't overfill the coin holder. The last two weeks have been especially easy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All fixed now. I used a thin card to wiggle between the shifter and change pocket while wiggling the change pocket cover and it opened a bit further. I then started pulling the pocket out while wiggling the card and the coin dropped below the pocket. There is a fair amount of space under there. I’m thinking secret compartment!

Thanks Sgt Beavis for the picks.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
neo said:
...There is a fair amount of space under there. I’m thinking secret compartment!
Good place to keep a little bit of emergency cash. The only trick is to be able to open the lid to get to it....:2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
neo said:
All fixed now. I used a thin card to wiggle between the shifter and change pocket while wiggling the change pocket cover and it opened a bit further. I then started pulling the pocket out while wiggling the card and the coin dropped below the pocket. There is a fair amount of space under there. I’m thinking secret compartment!

Thanks Sgt Beavis for the picks.
I did the exact same thing this morning...but I used a thin blade paring knife and jiggled the coin around until it fell deeper beneath the coin cup and now the cover closes all the way.:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts