Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One or both of my rear hatch struts have failed at 63000Km, has anyone one else had this problem?. My dealer did a search and found that there are only 25 pairs in Canada. His memory can only remember only one other set of struts having failed since the Mo was introduced in 03.

The rear hatch struts only support 50% of the weight of the rear hatch so that if one or both fail, you are back to manual lifting of the rear hatch. The benefit of this happening is that it saved me a trip to the YMCA to do some weight lifting. The price of the struts are $120.00 a pair and should be here by tomorrow. I used to change out my rear hatch struts on my Caravan about every three years and it looks like that habit will not go away. It appears to change them out is quite easy so I am not anticpating any trouble.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
My rear hatch struts have not failed, but I am fully expecting the struts holding up the front hood to fail at some point. It happened twice on my 97 Maxima, and I expect it to also happen on my Murano at some point. I was fortunate to find non Nissan replacements at a fraction of the Nissan price, and replaced them myself.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Eric L. said:
My rear hatch struts have not failed, but I am fully expecting the struts holding up the front hood to fail at some point. It happened twice on my 97 Maxima, and I expect it to also happen on my Murano at some point. I was fortunate to find non Nissan replacements at a fraction of the Nissan price, and replaced them myself.
I did the same thing for the rear hatch of my Honda CRX. Honda wanted a huge amount of money to replace them with genuine Honda struts. I couldn't afford that. Lived with a wooden pole to hold the lid up when I needed it for about 6 months, then realized I could get "non-Honda" struts that would work for about $10 each. Put them on myself (pretty easy) and worked perfectly for the remaining 4 years that I owned the car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got 2 aftermarket hood struts/ lift supports on eBay for just under $40 + shipping. $ well spent. Install took literally like 3 minutes for both. Just a flat blade screwdriver to pry the pins off and pop the new ones in. The hood stayed up fine with just one but obviously I replaced them both. I replaced the factory Nissan ones and have ~ 85k miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
djliquid
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing