Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing a MO but am a bit concerned that since it will be replacing an Explorer that the liftgate glass will not open. Is there any way to modify it to open via hinges? Has anyone done this? If not, how are you guys hauling long pieces of wood--molding, etc., in the Murano??

That's one area (maybe the only one :D) where the explorer/escape/4runner seem to have the MO beat. Opening that glass allows you to let stuff hang out the back and not worry (for the most part) about it falling out...

Thoughts?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I for one don't care for the rattles that seem to be induced by that rear window that can open.

In the Murano, I move the passenger front seat all the way forwards and then I just fold the front passenger seat all the way backwards. Creates an almost flat surface, and very long. Anything longer and I attach the trailer to the back.

·
4,601 Posts
The rear door/hatch, whatever, is plastic with metal reinforcement. While it would have been nice if the window would open, I expect it's part of the structure of the door and would need more work than just modifying the window to keep it from flexing too much.

I agree, you can get some pretty long objects in there with the passenger seat down. But it would have been handy to have the rear window open. Oh, except when you stop at a light and suck in all the exhaust fumes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I am planning on putting up a lot of crown moldings in the near future, so that's my main concern...I guess they could go on the roof...hmm...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I remember trips from the lumber yard with a stack of 12' two by sixes sticking out the back window of my Explorer. Definitely handy being able to lift the rear glass.

·
4,601 Posts
desertsand said:
Yeah, I am planning on putting up a lot of crown moldings in the near future, so that's my main concern...I guess they could go on the roof...hmm...
Too funny, I've done that twice with my Murano. I wrapped a blanket around them and had them poking out the front right passenger window, over top of the mirror, with a cord supporting them off the roof rack and foam in appropriate places to protect the paint.

Some of that stuff is 12 feet long!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, It can get longer than 12 feet too!

I've been trying to get down from 3 to 2 cars between the two of us. Currently we have an Explorer, Acura RSX and Civic.

She wants the Murano, and I love the car except for the rear glass (and the price :D)! I guess I could keep my old explorer, but don't really need it except for trips to Lowe's...dunno what we'll do....

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
You could always rent the truck from Lowes (the one near me has a pickup truck for something like $20/hr) if you absolutely must move 12' lumber. I'm not sure I would even want to put that in my Murano! :p

·
Registered
256 Posts
The OEM roof rack should handle most of your hauling problems. I have put a 14' extension ladder on the roof racks without any issues. I'm about to move to a new house so I ordered the trailer hitch and will get one of those single axle trailers you see out in front of Lowes and Depot. If I can't haul everything with that combo then you rent the Lowes/depot trucks. I've even rented the Depot truck to buy from Lowes when theirs wasn't available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts