Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2015 Murano Platinum and have a couple of questions about the power liftgate. The owner's manual doesn't seem real clear. Can I operate the power liftgate manually without turning the switch off in the glove box? Can the power liftgate ever be opened and closed manually or should the power function always be used? The dealer says never to open or close the power liftgate manually. This doesn't seem right to me.

As an aside, I have the technology package and was unsure about the adaptive cruise control. After just a couple of weeks, what was I thinking? After driving with adaptive cruise control, I would never go back to regular cruise control.

Al

·
Registered
8 Posts
I currently own a MB ML350 with power hatch. I don't know about the Murano but mine has a programmable stop point. I set mine to stop just short of the upper garage door bracket but with just enough height that I don't hit my head. A few weeks after programming it I noticed that it would no longer go up to the point I had set. Then it began to not latch all the way shut. This was true if I opened it manually, with the remote or from the button in the cab. The dealer had to replace the right shock on the hatch which contains the memory. The mechanic said that opening/closing the lift gate manually places a force on the shock which screws up the memory position I have set. Basically, the memory gets confused because of the manual force on the lift gate. From that day on I have never opened or closed it manually and I always use the button in the cab or the remote to open and either the remote or button on the hatch itself to close.

I have to think that even if the Murano does not have a programmable stop point, it does have a default stop set by the factory so that it opens fully at an exact height. Opening and closing the hatch manually may force that default point to some other spot of its intended range, either higher or lower, or it may adversely affect the latch, as was the case with my ML350. This could be the reason your dealer told you to always open the hatch electronically.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I believe you are correct. Opening the liftgate manually "programs" the electronic opener to only open to that point in the future. I seem to recall reading what you have to do in order to reset that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As stated in the owner's manual...you can adjust the height at which the hatch opens. You need to manually move the hatch to the desired height first. Once there...you have to take another step to save the preferred height. All this last step is...holding down the power hatch button on the hatch itself for 3 seconds until some beeps are heard. It will only save this new desired height after this last step.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2015 Murano SL. Whenever I use the power liftgate, it goes up, pauses, then lowers back down 2-3 inches. I've tried pushing it back up & "resetting" the open height by pushing the liftgate button until I hear the 3 chimes, but it keeps lowering back down. I've hit my head more than once now, so this is more than just inconvenient.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this doesn’t help really sorry but mine does exactly the same. Need help ASAP! I’ve gotten a new found friend - my head = my hatch. Yes. I have reset to to height many times!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Going to say it cannot be opened manually, no way to open the latch.
Closing it manually, should latch on its own but have not tried it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
You can open and close it manually just like on 2nd gen but it's much harder to do as there's a fair amount of resistance; those with physical disabilities i.e. tendinitis, rhumatism, arthritis, etc. may not be able to do it. Just push and hold the rubberized pad above the license plate that will stop the motor and continue to lift pushing up on the lower part of the lifgate. To close, just push down on the lifgate. I've done it a few times just to try. Could be helpful in case of a dead battery to retrieve boosting cables from the cargo area!

·
Registered
725 Posts
You can open and close it manually just like on 2nd gen but it's much harder to do as there's a fair amount of resistance; those with physical disabilities i.e. tendinitis, rhumatism, arthritis, etc. may not be able to do it. Just push and hold the rubberized pad above the license plate that will stop the motor and continue to lift pushing up on the lower part of the lifgate. To close, just push down on the lifgate. I've done it a few times just to try. Could be helpful in case of a dead battery to retrieve boosting cables from the cargo area!
Same here. I would often open/close the gen 2 manually bcuz it was so smooth fast and easy. Gen 3 pretty much forces you to use the button because there is more resistance and it is slow in manual mode.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Could be helpful in case of a dead battery to retrieve boosting cables from the cargo area!
If the battery is dead then the latch has to be manually released from the inside using a flat blade screwdriver through a small opening as decribed in the manual. Sorry if I mislead some...:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
Freedom55
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing