Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you complaining that there is no light under the hood, here is an easy and useful Saturday afternoon project. Bought a couple of LED bars like this on eBay recently. They are 6.5 inches long and contain 6 LED each:

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I already had a remote starter installed so a system safety pinswitch was already there. I got the switched ground from there and installed a 1 AMP diod in line to prevent a slight return of juice when the switch was in the off position (from the remote starter).

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is how it looks in the complete darkness:

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The LED bars are simply attached under the hood rail with tighraps. It took maybe an hour to install, solder wires and final touch:

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
Cool project Sim, But I dont think I go into my hood enough at night that I'd really need them. I just carry a flashlight because it will work even if the alternator goes bad...lol :p

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jaycen, I tried once adding winshield washing fluid at night while holding a flashlight after having looked for it, batteries were almost dead, and I finally decided that the 12V system was better at it... ;)

·
Registered
542 Posts
or you could just go with one of those flashlight headgear lookin thingies...lol :27:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
jaycen29 said:
Cool project Sim, But I dont think I go into my hood enough at night that I'd really need them. I just carry a flashlight because it will work even if the alternator goes bad...lol :p

Haha jaycen good one! I always thought hood lights were a bad joke since they tended to be equipped on American and European cars - i.e. suggesting that they break down a lot and you need to open the hood at night.

I like Sim's light bars, but like you I don't open my hood at night enough for it matter. The light I think would attract bugs and such, and the last thing I need are mosquitos and moths buzzing around me (and possibly getting inside the car!).

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
It's a cool solution to your problem.
I have never had the need to open my hood at night, but again this goes back to the question:
Do I need it? Probably not. Am I happy that I have it even though I may rarely use it? Definitely.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know, but I promise that I'll tell yah if they melt on the valve cover... lol

·
Registered
243 Posts
How did you power the light(s), and did you make these automatic, so these turn on when hood is opened these turn on.

This is definitly a missing item on MO in addition to heated side mirrors.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How did you power the light(s), and did you make these automatic, so these turn on when hood is opened these turn on.
Well, I used a 3 AMP fused wire from the battery for positive. As a trigger, I already had a pinswitch installed for the remote starter security (prevents the car from starting when the hood is opened), so I simply got the ground from there. The lights are on only when the hood is popped open. There was a small issue of juice return from the remote starter in the ground wire when the pinswitch was closed but I fixed it using a small 1 AMP diod.

It is quite easy to do actually and if you don't already have a ground pinswitch installed, you can do it very easily. I suggest the exact spot where I installed it because most other places are not making contact with the pinswitch or not enough to close the contact.

·
4,664 Posts
I think you'll probably need a flashlight anyway, if you're looking at your alternator!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jaak, I doubt it very much. These LEDs would give light using a lemon, no pun intended... lol

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
SIM said:
Jaak, I doubt it very much. These LEDs would give light using a lemon, no pun intended
Funny ha-ha, but on a serious note, how easy would it be to wire in a backup power source, such as an inline AA battery holder? of course, you'd also have to throw an SPDT switch inline to manually switch it from car power to the add-on batteries. Hmm.. then you'd have grounding issues, too. Looks like DPDT, then.

·
4,664 Posts
If the battery's voltage is that low, it would be a lemon...

Most LED's are happy with a couple of volts and about 1/100th of an AMP, so yes, you're right...

Bought a new light for my Bike, three LED's and two AA batteries. 100 Hours life. Just awesome!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts