Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently lost power in all the lighter plugs in the MO. Nothing except a cell phone charger plugged in. Checked and changed fuses but they weren't faulty. Dealer will look at it next week but want it for the whole day to correct this and several other issues.

Did use the rear power outlet once for a small TV using an inverter. The inverter went in to alarm for low voltage every single time the engine was turned off, had to leave the car running and finally gave up because we couldn't escape the exhaust. And of course the keys must be in the ignition.

Friends new Titan has power to plugs all the time and we just ran a 27" TV off a 400w inverter from his bed plug and it ran perfect, no keys, no running engine...

Anyone else had a complete outage in the 12v system?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Unfortunately, those power inverters suck an awful lot of juice. I too wish that the Murano's outlets (at least some of them) were on all the time, but I would look to your experience with the inverter as the possible cause for your troubles. There should have been a blown fuse though....let us know what the dealer finds. On another note, I will probably rewire the outlets up front to constant power at some point. Not complicated at all, just need to get motivated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inverter

I would say yes if I wasn't running a 9" TV off a 150w inverter. Kinda depressing to think it couldn't power that, especially since my laptop draws 90w(10 more than the TV) and that's pretty minimal. I don't smoke but the lighter has to draw more amps than these to heat I'd think. The friends Titan experiment showed that this should be expected behavior. Wondering if the MO's problems with alternators and such don't contribute to a poor electrical system.

Also, the TV was run for less than an hour and it was in the first few months I had the MO and it's a year and half now. I haven't run anything since because it was useless.

If you do manage to convert to full-time power, please post your efforts. This is a leased vehicle so I might not make the change but I'm sure others would.

I'll post what the dealer finds since I'm handy with a meter and electronics but I can't find the issue...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I definately agree that it should be able to handle the load, but I'm not too surprised that it did not. My buddy's Dodge Ram 3500 (dually diesel) reacted the same way when I plugged a smallish inverter into his power point...
If I ever get around to rewiring, I will definately let everyone know. If the lighter in the lighter package is designed to be on all the time, it may be as easy as just tapping into that line under the cell phone holder and changer tray in the center console. We'll see...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Inverters draw power from the vehicle even if nothing is plugged into them.

Here is something from a Xantrax web page

"Do I need to install my inverter near my batteries?"

"Ideally an inverter should be installed within 10 feet of the battery bank. If you increase this distance, you will need to use larger DC cables to compensate for a drop in voltage and DC ripple."

Not to defend the Murano 's wiring (I think it is a bit dumb that not even one power outlet is hot all the time) nor it's capacity. (Seems suspect to me.)

Homer

·
5,268 Posts
I too was very dissapointed to discover that no one outlet was hot all the time! Especially the one at the back. I might get it rewired soon.........

As Homer mentioned inverters should be close to the battery. But again it depends on the load. Murano is not designed as a true off-road SUV with dual battery system - one for car and the other one for utilities. Just keep it in mind when you try to power too many "loads" or for too long time. You may endup with drained battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts