Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone know if Nissan makes a limited-slip differential (e.g. on the Altima) that could be imported to the Murano? Alternatively, would an aftermarket product exist? It would be nice the make my Murano (which I love) a true AWD! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I might be wrong, but the front axle of a Murano employs a limited slip differential I believe (or something to that effect, which I read in the owners manual).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think so. My read of the manual is that VDC acts like a limited-slip by breaking the spinning wheel(s). As I do not have VDC, I essentially have a 2-wheel drive car - one driving in the front and one in the back.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Excerpt from a previous post (in the AWD My Arse thread):

Both front and rear differentials are open. This means that if only one wheel in a pair (front or back) has traction, the power will go to the wheel without traction. If you have both wheels on one side of the vehicle without traction (on ice, mud, etc.), you are in trouble.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
According to the owners manual, page 5-23, the VDC system uses a brake Limited Slip Differential. Even with VDC switched off, the LSD and ABS work to control traction in slippery conditions. Might not be the LSD you were thinking of, but nonetheless available on a Murano if equipped with VDC.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Asia...I don't believe Nissan offers a limited slip differential in any of its front wheel drive vehicles...I think this is because FWD front engine vehicles inherently have pretty good traction as is...as far as aftermarket products, I wouldn't be too hopefull...the Murano isn't marketed or designed as an "off roader" plus its only into a 2nd year of production...the demand for such products would be minimal. Basic power improvements such as cold air intakes/cat back exhaust systems are not yet on the market. Depending on what your needs are for improved traction are, new tires may be a good starting point.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Eric L. said:
According to the owners manual, page 5-23, the VDC system uses a brake Limited Slip Differential. Even with VDC switched off, the LSD and ABS work to control traction in slippery conditions. Might not be the LSD you were thinking of, but nonetheless available on a Murano if equipped with VDC.
I realized what you were talking about after I had posted. I don't consider a BLSD to be an LSD.

]Originally posted by senza
I don't believe Nissan offers a limited slip differential in any of its front wheel drive vehicles.
Not currently, but they have in the past.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Well Eirc... I can speak from first hand experience.. I have VDC, and I used the AWD lock, when I was stuck..

all I got was two wheel spinning (both on left side)..
took me and two others to manage to push it out..

Eric L. said:

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Eric:.. I just talked to the dealership, and they confirmed that the differential is "Open" and not brake limited..

anyone have a link to an electronic version of the manual, I'd love to point this one out to Nissan.. (Offically)

Eric L. said:

·
Registered
86 Posts
The 6-speed Maxima has an HLSD.

Helical Limited-slip Differential

Available on 3.5 SE models with manual transmissions, this feature maximizes your grip by directing more of Maxima's horsepower straight to the ground in the straightaways and corners. It helps keep your wheels from slipping (hence, the name "limited- slip"), and since it's gear-driven - not viscous, like many differentials - it's more sensitive to torque and quicker to react.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I don't know if the FX does or not - but it is RWD.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
darrylburke said:
Eric:.. I just talked to the dealership, and they confirmed that the differential is "Open" and not brake limited..

anyone have a link to an electronic version of the manual, I'd love to point this one out to Nissan.. (Offically)

If there is anything we should have learned by now, the dealership knows VERY little about the cars they repair (we stay on top of the TSBs better than the dealer does). How many times have people had their Nissan salesman make false claims about the CVT's technology or about how the AWD system is a 50/50 full time split like many other crossovers?

The owners manual, in addition to being located in your glove compartment (I provided the exact page 5-23), is also online at

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/

Good luck. For what its worth, I believe you that the Murano can get stuck when both axles lose traction on one wheel. However, its right there in the owners manual, a brake limited slip differential on the VDC equipped Muranos. Apparently it does not work very well!
:rolleyes:

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Here is the excerpt from the Manual (thanks Eric)

I'm going to go back to the dealer and get them to check the sensors, because THIS WAS EXACTLY WHAT WAS NOT HAPPENING..

The VDC uses a brake Limited Slip Differential
(LSD) system to improve vehicle traction. The
brake LSD system works when one of the driving
wheels in spinning on a slippery surface. The
brake LSD system brakes the spinning wheel
which distributed the driving power to the other
drive wheel. If the vehicle is operated with the
vehicle dynamic control system turned off, all
VDC and traction control functions will be turned
off. The brake LSD and ABS system will still
operate with the VDC system off. If the brake
LSD system or the ABS system is activated, the
slip indicator light will blink and you may hear a
clunk noise and/or feel a pulsation in the brake
pedal. This is also normal and indicates the
brake fluid pressure is controlled properly.
While the VDC system is operating, you may feel
a pulsation in the brake pedal and hear a noise or
vibration from under the hood. This is normal and
indicates that the VDC system is working properly.
The computer has a built in diagnostic feature
that tests the system each time you start the
engine and move the vehicle forward or in
reverse at a slow speed. When the self-test
occurs, you may hear a clunk noise and/or feel a
pulsation in the brake pedal. This is normal and is
not an indication of a malfunction.
VEHICLE DYNAMIC CONTROL
(VDC) SYSTEM (if so equipped)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
No wonder the sales guys

who are NOT operations experts, at Nissan or any other company,
are confused.

From the excerpt above
"If the vehicle is operated with the
vehicle dynamic control system turned off, all <--------!!!
off."

Strightforward.

"The brake LSD and ABS system will still
operate with the VDC system off"

I'm sorry, but the "Brake LSD" is a function of the VDC, which the sentence before stated stated that ALL functions will be turned off.

Not straightforward.

Homer

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
even better yet.. get a load of this..

I called to make an appt to check out the VDC (why the slip light did not come on..)
and the guy told me that in order for the brake LSD to work, you have to turn the VDC OFF.. I told him he was full of it (in nice words) and quoted directly from the manual.. eventually he got it.. and said I should take it in ..

oh well.. I guess the owners know more then the repair people some times.. well maybe most times..

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
darrylburke said:
even better yet.. get a load of this..

I called to make an appt to check out the VDC (why the slip light did not come on..)
and the guy told me that in order for the brake LSD to work, you have to turn the VDC OFF.. I told him he was full of it (in nice words) and quoted directly from the manual.. eventually he got it.. and said I should take it in ..

oh well.. I guess the owners know more then the repair people some times.. well maybe most times..
Thats the Nissan dealer for you. An owner armed with the Factory Shop Manual knows more than the average Nissan tech and loads more than the clueless service manager.

I am fearing the worst, but for the third time I am taking my Murano into the dealership this weekend to get them to fix the rattles on the door and glove compartment. Last time I drove the car with a master tech and he said he couldn't hear anything unusual (it was clicking away). I wrote a scathing review for the dealership on the Nissan survey and the dealership general manager said to please come back in so they could resolve the matter to my satisfaction. I'm not expecting much, other than a long wait and some bad coffee.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: No wonder the sales guys

hfelknor said:
who are NOT operations experts, at Nissan or any other company,
are confused.

From the excerpt above
"If the vehicle is operated with the
vehicle dynamic control system turned off, all <--------!!!
off."

Strightforward.

"The brake LSD and ABS system will still
operate with the VDC system off"

I'm sorry, but the "Brake LSD" is a function of the VDC, which the sentence before stated stated that ALL functions will be turned off.

Not straightforward.

Homer

I do agree it is very confusing.

I think the wording is "implied". It will still operate with the VDC system is off----if you ever need to use via trying to avoid hitting someone or someting. I suggest before you go to the dealer is that you try the VDC system while is off, and test it yourself. I don't have VDC but I'm curious. Let us know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts