Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all so I’m kinda new to the murano scene I’ve been working on my girlfriends it’s a 2004 with 160k on it and it goes into limp mode I took it to a mechanic to see what they say and the said a whole new engine was needed which sounds like bs too me the battery abs awd and vacuum I believe come on but if I clean off the abs sensors on the front driver and passenger sides it runs fine for about 12 hours also we just recently replaced the battery it was bulging at the sides I suspected the alternator but she said she replaced it 6 months ago

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hey all so I’m kinda new to the murano scene I’ve been working on my girlfriends it’s a 2004 with 160k on it and it goes into limp mode I took it to a mechanic to see what they say and the said a whole new engine was needed which sounds like bs too me the battery abs awd and vacuum I believe come on but if I clean off the abs sensors on the front driver and passenger sides it runs fine for about 12 hours also we just recently replaced the battery it was bulging at the sides I suspected the alternator but she said she replaced it 6 months ago
That is one long sentence....Limp mode is often linked to some problem(s) with the CVT. Have you scanned for trouble codes after these episodes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check again but as far as I can remember it didn’t throw any transmission codes when I checked last

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will check again but as far as I can remember it didn’t throw any transmission codes when I checked last
I have a 2009 Murano S, AWD 157 miles and experienced potentially similar symptoms related to Limp Mode. No codes were thrown either, and I checked multiple times over several months as these symptoms would come back.

Last year (2018 , ~155k miles) after driving for a couple hours on the freeway on hot summer days the engine would not speed up past about 3000 RPM despite putting the accelerator to the floor. Once the car shut down and cooled off over night it ran fine, until another couple hours driving in hot weather the same symptoms came back. Took the car to a shop and they couldn't repeat the symptoms so they gave the SUV back at no charge. Glad they didn't try to screw me over.

I read online that this Limp Mode usually relates to the CVT overheating, which triggers Limp Mode to prevent overexerting the CVT. I had the cooling system flushed and refilled, which was the first time ever, then drained the CVT fluid (~5-6 qts) from the drain pan then topped off with non-Nissan NS2 CVT fluid, but allegedly equivalent fluid: Valvoline full synthetic. Haven't experienced any further Limp Mode systems, perhaps the coolant flush and drain/refill of the CVT fluid helped. If I could do it again, I would spend the extra money to get the OEM NS-2 CVT fluid. In hindsight the fluid only requires changing every 60k miles (I think), so depending on how long you drive the car it won't need many fluid changes. Replacing the CVT costs about $4k for a re-manufactured one, spend the extra money on OEM fluid... ask me how I know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
by limp mode do you mean press accelerator and it barely goes like 1mph?
If so, then check your battery and alternator first. Bottom line...that CVT needs electrical power to shift, if doesn't have it...then it won't shift and it will limp. Sucky design, it's scary thing..but that's life w this new tranny junk, ahemm..technology. I had this problem, alternator was bad which took old battery down. Replace both...all good!
I had a mobile mechanic change alternator, medium sized job, was a lot less expensive than shop/stealer. Gotta take out some stuff in front to get to it. Murano not fun to work on. I also have around 165k on 07 Murano.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a 2009 Murano S, AWD 157 miles and experienced potentially similar symptoms related to Limp Mode. No codes were thrown either, and I checked multiple times over several months as these symptoms would come back.

Last year (2018 , ~155k miles) after driving for a couple hours on the freeway on hot summer days the engine would not speed up past about 3000 RPM despite putting the accelerator to the floor. Once the car shut down and cooled off over night it ran fine, until another couple hours driving in hot weather the same symptoms came back. Took the car to a shop and they couldn't repeat the symptoms so they gave the SUV back at no charge. Glad they didn't try to screw me over.

I read online that this Limp Mode usually relates to the CVT overheating, which triggers Limp Mode to prevent overexerting the CVT. I had the cooling system flushed and refilled, which was the first time ever, then drained the CVT fluid (~5-6 qts) from the drain pan then topped off with non-Nissan NS2 CVT fluid, but allegedly equivalent fluid: Valvoline full synthetic. Haven't experienced any further Limp Mode systems, perhaps the coolant flush and drain/refill of the CVT fluid helped. If I could do it again, I would spend the extra money to get the OEM NS-2 CVT fluid. In hindsight the fluid only requires changing every 60k miles (I think), so depending on how long you drive the car it won't need many fluid changes. Replacing the CVT costs about $4k for a re-manufactured one, spend the extra money on OEM fluid... ask me how I know.
So what was wrong with the Valvoline CVT fluid? You stated that the limp mode episodes stopped after you used it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
I need coffee
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing