Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so what's the final word? All data and details aside, who is getting most miles for the money and with what tires?
Mine: 35,000 with the stock P235/65R18 Goodyear Eagle LSs, and I am trying to decide on replacements.
What brand and type of tire do you have and how many miles did you get? Anyone on their third set of tires? Given this new (non stock) set of tires, how does/did it compare to the stock Goodyear Eagles in terms of style, ride, and total miles? Who knows which tire has the highest tire wear rating that can be placed on a Mo? What say you Mo people?
:2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
42,000 miles on the OEM tires. They are a bit noisy now but I think I can get another 10k miles out of them.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Replaced the GY @ 32000. Still had a lot of tread (sold them all on ebay for spares), but were noisy and rough. Replaced with GY...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Replaced GY at 26,000 miles, about 25% tread left. They were terrible in the snow, and I just couldn't brave another winter with them. Went with Yokohama Geolandar HTS 265/60/18 - so far about 4,000 miles on the new ones and they are much better than the Goodyear LS's.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
29K on the OEM GY.
Probably half the tread left, but will likely follow others and replace in a month or two.
That will be about the time our rainy season starts.
I will TRY and find good Car tires, not truck tires.
The cost is secondary to me. Maybe Tertiary.

Leaving on a small road trip tomorrow. Up to N Myrtle Beach and back. Should be about 2K Miles or a little less total.

The GY have been good.
But I have NO snow to worry about.

Homer

·
Registered
389 Posts
Replaced stock Goodyear at 26,000 miles (approx) with about 30% tread remaining. Went with Avon Tech S/T in 265/60-18 and have absolutely no regrets. Wish I had switched sooner. Slightly more comfortable than Goodyear, minimal tire noise (significantly quieter than Goodyear), much better handling and dry/snow/wet traction than Goodyear.

Bob

·
5,244 Posts
Replaced GDY at 29K with 10% thread left. Put Yokohamas – hated them! Switched back to GDY. Now have 20K on the second set of GDY. Probably 50% thread left…..

Not very happy with GDY but will not replace them with Truck/SUV type tyries. Only passenger car ones. Cost is important to me but secondary to ride comfort and tire performance….

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TOTAL MILEAGE

Now I don't feel so bad hearing that others have replaced the stock GY Eagles well before 35K. I have heard that the stock GY tires should get around 40-50K miles. I am checking both Costco and Walmart ($124.36 each) prices. The Avon Tech tires sound like a suitable (alternative) replacement tire @ about ~$24 less per tire.
I don't drive on snow or mountains so I didn't need to buy the AWD Mo. The stock GY says "M + S" (Mountain and Snow) rated on the side and I'm am still on the wall about selecting the same tire. Why would I need a M+S tire if those conditions are not present in my environment? Is there another (same size) GY tire available that is not M+S for less price? Curious. Maybe I sould jsut make my own darn vehicle. See attached "Trans-Camaro" 4X4.

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Re: TOTAL MILEAGE

gigadive said:
Now I don't feel so bad hearing that others have replaced the stock GY Eagles well before 35K. I have heard that the stock GY tires should get around 40-50K miles. I am checking both Costco and Walmart ($124.36 each) prices. The Avon Tech tires sound like a suitable (alternative) replacement tire @ about ~$24 less per tire.
I don't drive on snow or mountains so I didn't need to buy the AWD Mo. The stock GY says "M + S" (Mountain and Snow) rated on the side and I'm am still on the wall about selecting the same tire. Why would I need a M+S tire if those conditions are not present in my environment? Is there another (same size) GY tire available that is not M+S for less price? Curious. Maybe I sould jsut make my own darn vehicle. See attached "Trans-Camaro" 4X4.
Gigadive
M&S mean Mud and Snow, I guess they figure that if it is snowing you are close to a mtn.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I went 36k miles in 31 months with the GY's and the rears could have been rotated to the front & probably could have pulled me through a warm winter, but it was time for a change.

I got the Yokohoma Geolander HTS GO52 265/60/18's and I've really been happy with them.

They do ride a bit rougher but they look better and the snow & wet performance is much improved over the GY's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Bob! Question about those Avon Tech S/T in 265/60-18's. Although I'm not in Snow and Mud conditions how is the handling and smoothness to the ride in summer on simple paved and or asphalt streets and road? You say Avon Tech is better than than GY tires? Anyone else share that assessment? Anyone ever buy Avon Tech tires out on the West Coast USA?
BOB WROTE: Replaced stock Goodyear at 26,000 miles (approx) with about 30% tread remaining. Went with Avon Tech S/T in 265/60-18 and have absolutely no regrets. Wish I had switched sooner. Slightly more comfortable than Goodyear, minimal tire noise (significantly quieter than Goodyear), much better handling and dry/snow/wet traction than Goodyear.
Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Gigadive,

I live in Huntington Beach, CA (North Orange County) but wanted to get M&S tires so I could go up to the local mountains and Mammoth in winter. These are the 2nd set of Avons I bought. The first set was for my Audi A4 Quattro that I sold. Those tires were so surprisingly good that I decided to try the Avon Tech ST for the Murano.

My assessment so far is that they are superior to the Goodyear in all areas. The ride is a great - on par with the Goodyears or a touch softer, but the handling is superior (some of that attributable to the wider tire and lower aspect ratio.) The tread pattern is quiet on asphalt and concrete. Where the Goodyears would wail (on the 405 freeway north of Beach Blvd and before the 605 interchange) the Avons have a muted hum. Nothing intrusive at all. The grip is superior to the Goodyear. Tires are wearing well, but at 1,200 miles, it's a little too early to be talking about wear.

If you check out the Avon thread in the Tires & Wheels section, you can see pics of my car and tires. I've been very happy with them and wonder why I didn't change-out the Goodyears sooner.

Bob

·
Registered
358 Posts
51K on the GYs. Could have nursed 'em along for another 12K or so, but we need the MO to be able to go to the mountains on a moment's notice.

Replaced with the stock size Michelin AT SUVs. About $180 per, mounted and balanced, with lifetime free rotation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ALTERNATIVE TIRES: MICHELINs or AVON TECHs

I'm still in the investigative stages as I still have some time to decide based on the amount of tread remaining. Went down to Costco and they want $176, plus state taxes and fees, for the Michelin P235/65R18s. These come with a 65K warrantee. If they get 65K, that would be almost double the miles that the GY stock tire gets (based on the measly 35K I got out of the stock ones). The Costco tire center (in Goleta, Calif) informs me that they only carry two brands of tires: BF Goodrich and Michelin. They stated that they have BFG tires (P265/60R18) at $134.00 (excluding state tax/fees) but were very strict about placing "oversized" tires on vehicles (probably to protect them from lawsuits) and are required to place the same exact tire so they would not consider installing the BFG tire on my Mo.
Since they don't have Avon Tech tires, I'll be calling around to see who has em' for an estimate. I have read the thread about Michelins but only one mentioned how much he paid (and he did not buy them from Costco...which I woudda thunk would have been the cheepest price); whether they could get the tires W/O the white paint lettering (laces in Dan Marino), and the number of miles they got before replacement. Anyone out there have Michelins? Approx, how much did you pay? Was it at Costco or Walmart? How many miles did you get with the Michelins before replacement? Logic: It might be worth paying the extra $50-75 per tire if it's possible to get 30K more miles from a Michelin tire vs. the GY stock tire? What say you Mo gurus?

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Replaced GDY's at 1,000 kms....not happy with performance re snow on the MO and a previous vehicle with LS's....55,000 kms on Yoko 265/60s ....very pleased with all aspects of this tire...lots of tread left (approx. 50%)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts