Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On each of my wheels (SL - 5 Spoke) there is a small medium blue dot about 1/4 inch in diameter close to the rim. No idea as to its purpose other than speculating its a quality check dot or similar.
Seems to have nothing to do with location of weights for balancing either, since weights are nowhere near dot on any wheel.

Anyone have any idea how to remove these without damaging the wheel's finish?

·
4,664 Posts
I seem to remember that was the heavy part of the wheel and that the tire would be mounted with it's heavy part opposite, to minimise the amount of weights required to balance it.

But my memory's rusty... Anyone recall?

·
Registered
256 Posts
My 'Benz had the dots also except they were black. They were directly opposite the valve stem on those wheels. I kinda liked them. I considered them a point of interest, especially at time of sale, that a 6 year old car was still in such great shape that paint/mounting marks were still applied to the OEM wheels.

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
They should line up with the valve stems. Mine do.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think the dots are covering up a flaw. I scraped two of the dots off with my fingernail, and under both spots the area was imperfect... there was a tiny piece of the powder coating missing. After that, I decided to leave the other two dots alone. This way, it allows me to tell if the dealer actually rotates my tires. Also, I can rub my finger over the two remaining dots and feel the imperfections beneath.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Is there any way to get rid of those round child safety seat symbols they have on the rear leather seats??

·
4,664 Posts
I heard they disappear if you push all four of the blue dots at the same time with one hand.:p

·
Registered
564 Posts
Tire dots and Child Seat anchor labels

The tire dots (as previously mentioned) indicate where the tires should line up based on weight. On the Mo tires, they represent the heavy side so should be lined up opposite the valve stem (I'll need to check my Mo to be sure).

The child seat anchor labels are required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 225 S9.5(a). Those federal regulations expressly require that seat anchorages not ordinarily visible be PERMANENTLY marked with a circle of not less than 13 mm in diameter demonstrating in words or language the presence of lower seat anchorages. The term "permanently" means that they aren't easily removable. Best way to deal with them is to ignore them!

·
4,664 Posts
Thanks Jim!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still a mystery although I like the suggestion to use them as a guide to make sure dealer rotates them when they should.
As to being across from the valvestem - no go. In fact two of them are within one spoke of the valve stem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Aside from being inflated for carrying loads, tires need to be round to work properly. Wheels also need to be round. However, due to manufacturing constraints, neither may be, exactly. So, wheel manufacturers tend to place the valve core hole (or some other mark) painted DOTS at the lowest point of the wheel. Tire manufacturers, on the other hand, tend to place a mark, usually a red dot, on the wheel's highest pint. The hope is if you put the higest point of the tire on the lowest point of the wheel, they will cancel out and you'll end up with a round wheel/tire combo.

Hope this helps..

Paul

·
Registered
29 Posts
My B.D.'s (Blue Dots) are not opposit the valve stem.
They are located one spoke (on a 5 spoke SL wheel) away from the valve stem.....some centered in the gap between spokes, others at the edge of the spoke.

I can't tell if the flaw I feel when I rub them is from the B.D. themselves or something under them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing Dots! :4:
What a relief.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I believe the blue dots represent the heaviest point on the wheel.

Mine are all located very close to the valve stem (which is also where the TPSU Tire Pressure Sending Unit) is located on the back side of the valve stem (inside the wheel).

I believe the concept is for the tire installer to put the heaviest side or spot of the individual tire opposite of this blue dot in order to reduce the amount of stick on wheel weight required to balance the setup once it's all mounted.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yap, its a indicator mark for your tires.
betta not to mess with it.

Nizmo

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
I was mistaken before, the blue dots are not adjacent to the stems, they are in line with a red dot on the tyres (Or close)

I remember now seeing the red dots when the car was new, but now, 7 months on only one remains.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
dots

Reading this thread I can't help but wonder about some of the comments.

The blue dots and the valve stems are both permanent fixtures on the rim how are you supposed to align them?

So far as I know there is no way to determine the heavy side of a tire until it is on the rim and I don't know to many tire shops that would set the bead check the balance and break the bead to turn the tire relative to the rim.

I think the blue dots are the reproductive cycle of the rare bugaloo bug who deposit their blue eggs on the rims when a blue dot gets next to a red dot and the moon is in the right phase they fuse and create a honda element (one ugly bug)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all who responded to this thread. Barcode seems to have it right in that on very close inspection the blue dot on the rim is adjacent to the almost faded red dot on the tire.
So Copperkat might what to make small mark where he removed two of the dots so as not to have uneccessary problems next time he buys tires!

But seriously the informational activity through these forums is exceptional. Interesting to note that there are virtually no comments on the Edmunds Murano forum these days.

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, and FA used to be where the action was, until the moderator PO'd most folks... Still an OK site, but not structured as well as this one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
jaak said:
Yeah, and FA used to be where the action was, until the moderator PO'd most folks... Still an OK site, but not structured as well as this one.
Is that what happened at that site? I've only owned my Murano for a month and I found the FA site before I found this one. At the time, I remember thinking that the FA site had very little traffic. So... I continued my search and found this site.

Now I'm a happy camper.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts