Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
yeah I have the blue dots on my chrome rims and yes they do line up with the red dots on my tires.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The blue dots are all within an inch or two of the valve stem area... the red dots on the new Yokahamas are all over the place...I guess the tire technician wasn't aware of the "dot alignment" concept.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Wonder why I don't have blue dots on my Factory Chrome Wheels? Nore do I have red dots on the Factory GDY Tires. Damn are they an accessory ? If so where can I get them? :2: :2: :2:

GRIP :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
I dont have blue dot....instead i have light blue dot......hahahha....im unique.....

anyways they do line up with red dot....if you have one......if you dont have a red dot....make sure you have a tire to go with that rim....dont want people to drive on rims....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Aside from being inflated for carrying loads, tires need to be round to work properly. Wheels also need to be round. However, due to manufacturing constraints, neither may be, exactly. So, wheel manufacturers tend to place the valve core hole (or some other mark) painted DOTS at the lowest point of the wheel. Tire manufacturers, on the other hand, tend to place a mark, usually a red dot, on the wheel's highest pint. The hope is if you put the higest point of the tire on the lowest point of the wheel, they will cancel out and you'll end up with a round wheel/tire combo.

Hope this helps..

Paul

:2:

·
Registered
137 Posts
So what is the summary of this thread?
Does everyone agree that the blue dots on the rims mark the heavy spot of each rim?

Would really appreciate final answer since I did notice the dots on mine too and was going to scrape them off, but now looks like they have a function. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
ciaka said:
So what is the summary of this thread?
Does everyone agree that the blue dots on the rims mark the heavy spot of each rim?

Would really appreciate final answer since I did notice the dots on mine too and was going to scrape them off, but now looks like they have a function. Thanks.
Those infamous blue dots are for the manufacturer's use. There is no harm in removing them.

-njjoe

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hokay guys, Chew on this:

'07 SL W/ standard GoodYears on standard rims:

Right Front: 2 red dots on tire spaced about 160 degrees apart
RR: same as RF
LF: 2 red dots same as above plus Blue dot on wheel about 60 deg from closest red dot.
LR: 2 red dots spaced only about 1-1/2" apart.

The red dots on each tire are 2 slightly different shades of red.

Relationship of red dots to tire stems is random.

I had an '04 350Z. All 4 wheels had blue dots. don't remember how they related to tire stem. Many owners on 350Z forum had them too.

Anybody got a theory for this one???

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dots are suppose to be close... real close together so... in your case, they are mounted wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
WELL, after reading this, I am concerned. I have 4 blue dots, or had..One mostly all came off within the first week, but you can still tell where it was. But I looked and 3 of the 4 do line up with red dots, but one is on there with seemingly NO relationship to the red mark. I just bought this car 3 weeks ago. Should I be worried something is wrong with this tire?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
bjh said:
WELL, after reading this, I am concerned. I have 4 blue dots, or had..One mostly all came off within the first week, but you can still tell where it was. But I looked and 3 of the 4 do line up with red dots, but one is on there with seemingly NO relationship to the red mark. I just bought this car 3 weeks ago. Should I be worried something is wrong with this tire?
The dots are to assist with balancing the tire, but I'm sure the tire could also be balanced with the dots not lined up. It would just take more weights.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
When I was installing my tires I asked the guy to line up the dots. He said they did not mean anything, and that he knew because he was a certified installer. So I insisted and the guy was not really happy that I was telling him how to do his job, but he did it my way anyway and lined up the dots. Tires balanced fine but since reading about the need to road force balance the 18 inch tires, I am still going to take them to Americas Tire Store for rebalance.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Wow, blue dots?!? Where did you dust this thread off from? :p

-njjoe

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think the aliens have despaired of us being able to decipher crop circles and have turned instead to alloy rim dots.

BTW, I've got a blue dot on each rim. I figured they had something to do with the assembly process and haven't given them much thought otherwise.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Dang someone went grave diggin for this one lol.

Aside from being inflated for carrying loads, tires need to be round to work properly. Wheels also need to be round. However, due to manufacturing constraints, neither may be, exactly. So, wheel manufacturers tend to place the valve core hole (or some other mark) painted DOTS at the lowest point of the wheel. Tire manufacturers, on the other hand, tend to place a mark, usually a red dot, on the wheel's highest pint. The hope is if you put the higest point of the tire on the lowest point of the wheel, they will cancel out and you'll end up with a round wheel/tire combo.

Hope this helps..

Paul
The dots are to assist with balancing the tire, but I'm sure the tire could also be balanced with the dots not lined up. It would just take more weights.
BINGO! However what i was told at nissan school was that the blue dots didn't technically represent the heaviest spot in the rim, it represents the lowest spot in the rim so that you can match the tire's red dot (tire's highest point) to it. This will minimize radial force runout. Its not NEEDED but it helps in reducing radial runout vibration.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts