Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm loving the MO... however it surpsied me tonight. I got out of my car and left it runing.. closed the door no issues. When I came back to the car I tried opening the door. However it only open about 1/2 inch.... the only thing to do was to push it closed and try to reopen it. To my surprise when I tried to open the door it was locked! Even though the swtich looked like it was in the unlocked position... and the keys where in the ignition and the engine was runing. What gives MO? Are you made at me?

The other odd thing was that the gas tank cover was unlocked. So the entire car is locked but the gas cap. I thought that all doors had to be unlocked for the gas cap to be unlocked too. Weird.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Locking

If the gas cap was open I bet the other doors were too and just the drivers door was locked, a common problem. I do believe one owner had a problem with the gas door never locking which I think was a easy fix.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe me I tried.... all four doors would not open including the trunk. Funny thing was that as far as I could tell the lock switch on the driver's side was in the unlocked position.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
#@[email protected]#[email protected]#%[email protected]#%@*(@$)@! IT HAPPENED AGAIN TONIGHT!!!!

OK here is the scenario.... car was locked... open car with single key press of kebfab... drove for about 10 minutes.... place car in park..... leave car..... (with engine running).... return in about 30 seconds.... none of the doors will open, trunk will not open, gas door cover DOES open. 30 Minutes later get another keyfab and get myself in..... drive home.... while in the driveway with me in the car and engine runing, open door and close door.... with window rolled down. I can open the door.

What gives... its unpredicable. Anyone else have these issues? Try and let me know but be sure you have another set of keys/keyfab.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
certainly understand the frustration.
Did you get a Valet key?

Why not drop by a Pep Boys and buy one of those Magnet Key holders?

I know I am going to even tho I have never had this problem.
My wife and I only have the Murano so if one of us gets stuck out we really do have a problem.

Then We have to find a place to hide it...........

Homer

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No hidden key..... the question is how is the door getting locked? I never locked it and I believe the interior lock switch was in the unlocked position! Furthermore why was the gas door unlocked?

Its as if something internal is locking the door that is bypassing the interior lock.

I'll see if I can reproduce it again tomorrow.... with two keys handy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Locked Out of My Murano

I just got locked out for the second time -My Murano is 3 months old with 2200 miles. I can't duplicate the lock sequence, but when it happens randomly it's with the engine running , key in the ignition. I get out of the car for about a minute and then try to reenter -- everything is locked! I now have a key hidden for peace of mind until Nissan can come up with a fix. By the way, it's hard to find a place to hide the key. My guess is that it's a software problem. The auto relock sequence probably doesn't recognize that the key is in the ignition as it should.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly the same thing here.... I have about 2600 miles and can't figure out the sequence that causes it... I even went as far as turing on lights and CD player to replicate the eactly sequence. Did you notice if when this happened your lock was in the locked or unlocked position and was the gas cap locked?

·
Registered
66 Posts
what ive noticed

Heres what ive noticed. The car has a security auto lock feature after about 30 seconds of the door being open and then shut the doors lock so thats in case you forgot to lock your doors it will do it for you. Not when the car is moving though, go figure. Anyways, I have before, opened the car got my smokes out and shut the door light up ( cause i dont wanna smoke in the MO, hurt her poor lungs) When I go back to get in the doors are locked. So now whenever I go anywhere and run in like that with the car running I know to leave my drivers door window down about half way so I can stick my arm in to open her up, IF she locks. This has to be the dumbest feature. It is a good one IF it only worked when the engine is OFF but as we all know its when the car is running to. Seems like someone at Nissan made a big boo-boo.

So word of advice keep your window down a bit to get a hand in there to unlock it, or as others have said get a magnet key holder, however theifs know of this and check for that stuff.

Or best of all bring the universal key....the crowbar and open her up, HA HA just kidding, sorry its a friday. Have a good weekend ya'll:1:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Enforces... I'll provide the TSB to the dealer on Monday and see what they say. Should I play dumb and see if the find the TSB? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I stopped at the mailbox to get the mail. Left the car in park with the engine running. When I came back to the car, the driver door was locked. Luckily for me, the rest of the doors were unlocked, so I was able to get in.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I brought in the MO... told them about the TSB... they didn't believe me.... they could not duplicate it but fortunately enough they had enough sense to order the new harness under the TSB that didn't exist.

After I left I parked to go into an ATM machine and had an extra key... wouldn't you know it the MO locked me out again. But this time I was prepared.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My MO continues to do the exact same thing. But the dealer simply refuses to order the harness. They can't duplicate the problem using the procedure described in the TSB. So I carry the valet key in my wallet! I still love this vehicle!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats crazy... call Nissan or go to another Dealership. This is an obvious problem. Can also be dangerous if you had a child or animal in the car. What are they thinking.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had the TSB applie a few months back... and have not had this issue since they applied the fix.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i'm so happy to hear that i'm not the only one! i got locked out of my MO a few weeks ago, in that wintery snow storm. i was about 1 mile away from home in a parking lot, with my key in the ignition. i was warming up my car, and then decided to add in my de-icing windshield fluid. popped the hood, closed the door and then couldn't get back in my vehicle. so there i was, in a parking lot, with my car running and the keys in the ignition, and me and a bottle of windshield fluid. called everyone i knew that could save me, and woudlnt' you know it, no one would answer. so after much debate, i humped it back home, got my valet key, and humped it back. wasn't a fun journey at all. at all.

now, i never leave the car with the ignition in it. never. i was wondering. would i be able to make a spare key copy?

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
This happened to me 1x and only once. I am not sure if I locked it on accident when closing the door or not, but from now on, whenever I do something that isnt at home that involves leaving the car running I always put the window down a bit to ensure that I dont get embarrassed by my MO.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
quikkik said:
i was wondering. would i be able to make a spare key copy?
Yes. Someone posted about this on the FA forum. Just make sure it's well made, or it will turn, but won't unlock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had this happen to me too. Got home, left keys in ignition, running, closed door and locked out! Fortunately, I was at home with access to my spare. Also, my daughter has the 2004 FX35 and she got locked out at a gas station - had to call a popAlock type company!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts