Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I read a post about taking a new Murano on a long trip . . . and that this would eat oil like crazy.

I have a month old MO with 400 miles on it and in two weeks will be driving it 2000 miles in 2 1/2 days from Atlanta to Phoenix.

What's the deal with this? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I never had an issue with my MO eating oil during the break in. I wouldn't worry about it. Just check it while filling up with gas and **IF** you need some pick up a quart at the station.

Enjoy the drive!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't have a Murano (yet), but I do know about oil consumption because my current Nissan consumes oil (02' SE-R Spec V).

You can really only lose oil 2 ways:
1. Leak
2. Comsumption (burning it or with blow-by)

My car is know to have crappy rings on the piston and is known not to seat correctly during the break-in period. Thus I have to ad about a quart of oil every 2-3 weeks depending on my driving conditions or "style". I don't worry about it too much, I'm just sure to check it regularly and make SURE it doesn't go dry (VERY BAD!)

I haven't read up alot on the Murano, but from what I have I woulnd'nt think it would burn any oil, etc. Haven't seen that sort of trend. That is a pretty bulletproof engine for Nissan as well. Just be sure to check it on your trip every few times you fill up at a gas station.

I also always run synthetics in my car (specifically Mobil 1 10w-30) with a Nissan filter and change religiously every 5K miles. I see you are in Atlanta. BJ's has a 6-pack of Mobil 1 synthetic for like around $23, best deal out there.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Also per manual, best not to hold steady speed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
synthetic

I used synthetic oil in my Audi S4 . . . and liked it.

You can't mix real oil and synthetic oil, correct?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Same engine in my G35 never burned a drop in 3 years of ownership. Just more nonsense.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You can mix, but you should break in the engine first before using
syn.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: synthetic

lawbroker said:

Incorrect. Pretty much all modern day synthetics are compatible with conventional oil. Just double check the label.

I know Mobil 1 Synthetic is.

·
Registered
103 Posts
MOpar said:
You can mix, but you should break in the engine first before using
syn.
Also not necessarily true. Lots of cars nowadays come straight from the factory filled with synthetics.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Jpalm I think your agreeing with me on the mixxing part,but
read elsewhere in forum to break in first.

·
Registered
103 Posts
MOpar said:
Jpalm I think your agreeing with me on the mixxing part,but
read elsewhere in forum to break in first.
I don't know if the Murano has a specific break-in procedure but generally a break-in would consist of just changing the oil (what came in the new car from factory) at 1K miles and refilling with your pick of the liter (syn or conventional).

...then again I've never had a "brand new" car. :p 8K miles is the lowest miles I've had on a car I purchased.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that brings up another question. I'll have approximately 500 miles on the car when I embark on my trip . . and 2500 miles on it 3 days later.

Would I be better off just waiting until after my trip to change the oil for the first time; or is there a reason to do it before the trip.

thanks for everyone's input!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I had 3,750 miles on mine for the first oil change, as recommended by Nissan. IMO, go ahead and enjoy your trip and change oil after you get there. Just remember this important point:

Do not drive using your cruise control. Vary your speed and engine RPM every chance you get. It will help break the engine in the right way.

Have a safe trip!

·
Registered
103 Posts
zebelkhan said:
I had 3,750 miles on mine for the first oil change, as recommended by Nissan. IMO, go ahead and enjoy your trip and change oil after you get there. Just remember this important point:

Do not drive using your cruise control. Vary your speed and engine RPM every chance you get. It will help break the engine in the right way.

Have a safe trip!
I would echo his statements.

·
Registered
717 Posts
zebelkhan said:
Just remember this important point:

Have a safe trip!
I took mine on a 1500 mile road trip when it had only 900 miles on the odometer. Here's what I did to try and follow the break in instructions as close as possible.

Out on the highway and for the first couple of hundred miles (until I hit 1,100) I did vary both the engine speed (rpms from 1200-4000) and the vehicle speed (from 45-70 mph) by using the CVT's "gears" and the cruise control.

Then I pretty much set the cruise control at 78 and forgot about it for the next 1300 miles. I would occasionally (maybe once every half hour) let it drop down to 60 mph or so and then kick it in to Ds for a minute, then back to D and back up to 78mph.

I did change oil at 900 miles before we left on our trip, then again at 2,500 miles, then at 5,000, again at 7,500 and went to Mobile one at the 10,000 mile change.

Now I change both filter and Mobile One at every 5,000 miles which splits the service levels from Nissan and matches the 15-30-45-60k service intervals as well.

I'm up to 33,xxx miles and have no drive train issues of any kind.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: synthetic

lawbroker said:

Every synthetic oil I've used (Mobil One, Valvoline, and Pennzoil) says they are "compatible with conventional oils" which I think means they can be mixed.

I waited until 5000 miles to switch to syn.

I also took a cross country trip in my Murano with about 1500 miles at the start of the trip. No problems with oil consumption.

·
Where's my money?
23 Posts
My track buddy ultimately traded-in his pre-order 350z in for a Subaru WRX STi because his engine consumed oil. Ironically enough, his STi is burning oil now.

And there are a few owners on my350z.com that have had their engines replaced under warranty for oil consumption. I drive the piss out of mine (it sees the track one weekend every month) and it does not burn one drop.

FWIW, I'm running M1 15W-50. If you want my advice, then bring a bottle or two of 10W-40 or 20W-50 if you plan on a long trip. I'd also bring along a gallon of distilled water.

Michael.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Michael-Dallas said:
My track buddy ultimately traded-in his pre-order 350z in for a Subaru WRX STi because his engine consumed oil. Ironically enough, his STi is burning oil now.

And there are a few owners on my350z.com that have had their engines replaced under warranty for oil consumption. I drive the piss out of mine (it sees the track one weekend every month) and it does not burn one drop.

FWIW, I'm running M1 15W-50. If you want my advice, then bring a bottle or two of 10W-40 or 20W-50 if you plan on a long trip. I'd also bring along a gallon of distilled water.

Michael.
Ah, sweet I see you have a b13 as well. I have the b15 (02' SE-R Spec V). Mine burns oil:mad: but I'm over it, just check it and add as necessary.

·
5,244 Posts
I have never ever needed to add oil to any of my cars. Even when they had 200k on them. And Murano is no diffrent......

I change oil every 5k miles and do not see any oil consumption....

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Exactly what I said in the 5th post of the thread. It's just not a problem. Enjoy the trip. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts