Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Gonzo for letting me know that this can be done w/o any wiring.

What is the best and longest lasting plug n play bulb? 90% of my driving is during the day, so night time driving is below average. In other words, I don't use the headlights too often, but when I do need them, I want to see better.

I am looking at the following:
- PIAA Xtreme White Plus Series 9007 Bulbs
- Slyvania SilverStar 9007ST
- Hoen Xenonmatch Plus 9007

I value and trust all of your opinions, so will let ya'll help me decide. Any experiences in these bulbs and tips on installation (swapping them out) would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the 9007 have the same base as the H4, have a look at the IPF fatboys, they give a great bright light.

Have them in another car and am very happy with the result as they are much better than the GE 60+ or the philips/narva 50+

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Lets add "GE Nighthawk" bulbs to the list of posibilities as well. I will also eventually do a HID retrofit but for now would not mind upgrading to a brighter bulb. So opinions on "GE Nighthawk" and the others listed by coness would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
From what I have read previously, the Sylvanias draw a lot of current and have a very short life. PIAA is always good (real PIAA, not the ebay knockoffs!).

·
ghost member
98 Posts
ekaxel said:
From what I have read previously, the Sylvanias draw a lot of current and have a very short life...
In my previous vehicle (94 Taurus SHO) I had one set of Silverstars from when I purchased the car. Mind you this car had a very stiff suspension, and the bulbs never gave me a problem.

·
4,664 Posts
I've had the silverstars in for two years now, no problems.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
the silverstars have never been and issue for me. but the piaa's are expensive and the filament shattered in one bulb after 4 months

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
It'd be nice if they put the dang technicals about the bulbs on their sites....like rated watts, lumens (CP), MTBF, you know--schtuff we would want to see.
Being a caver, that is the first thing cavers want to see about bulbs.
We had one 6V bulb you could feel heat from 15 feet away---but only lasted ~35 hours.....there it was on the side of the bulb--5.2 volts, obviously over driven.
Silverstars huh? I may have to get some of those.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jaak...you've had the silverstars for 2 yrs w/o changing them? How much night driving do you do? ekaxel has read that the silverstars have a short lifespan, but that seems contrary to what you have.

How do you like the silverstars? They should be better than your oem, but how much better? They are both hi and lo beam for the bulb right? Was it a pretty easy swap out from oem to the silverstars? How long did it take you? Being a programmer, i could probably write code to put them in for me before doing it myself:p

It seems that the silverstars and piaa's are used the most, anyone do hoen or the ge nighthawks? This is a very informational thread, can we make it stick and easy for others to find?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zebelkhan, Please see the following link:
http://www.autobarn.net/silverstar.html

I've never shopped here before, but am going to give it a try. Assuming, that is, someone from the forum doesn't come back a say that silverstars blow and that the life span is less than 6 months.

Also, has anyone ever seen a plug n play HID kit? This seems like a solution that is in between the full blown HID and just replacing the

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/Xenon-HID-Catz-Lights-Kits.htm

Thoughts????

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
IF you look at Sylvania's site that have great pictures and comparaisions. I think the MO's HID where about 4300K so if you are looking for a good white that is a good starting point.

Remember, cheap bulbs that are too blue don't illuminate well.

·
4,664 Posts
Coness said:
Jaak...you've had the silverstars for 2 yrs w/o changing them? How much night driving do you do? ekaxel has read that the silverstars have a short lifespan, but that seems contrary to what you have.

How do you like the silverstars? They should be better than your oem, but how much better? They are both hi and lo beam for the bulb right? Was it a pretty easy swap out from oem to the silverstars? How long did it take you? Being a programmer, i could probably write code to put them in for me before doing it myself:p

Well, I saw them, they were relatively cheap, I thought, "What the heck" and bought them. Putting them in was a bit awkward but I survived. The Murano's headlights aren't the easiest things to get to. I think it took me 40 minutes to put them in. It was a while ago, so I'm rough on detail! Yes, both hi and low beam.

Most of my driving is daytime, so I'm not a heavy user of the headlights, but it does get used at night a fair bit and this time of year, even the day time is turning to night. Of course in Canada, the fogs are DRL's so they're on constantly. They've not blown either, but one was destroyed by a rock about 6 months into ownership. They're still the OEM bulbs.

Being a programmer, I'd get you to write something while I put them in for you, if you were closer.

·
Registered
309 Posts
zebelkhan said:
I have seen both Silverstars and Nighthawks in Walmart for $37 and change. Is that a good price for them?
That is for a pair, not single bulb right? Cause I was at Wal-mart last weekend and saw a package of 2 silverstars, misplaced in some random aisle, but I didn't do a price check.

Coness - I ordered a cargo area protector from autobarn and have not had any problems. If you are an online shopper check out ebates.com. It provides rebates from a ton of mechants, all you have to do is go to the online store through the ebates.com web site. You get 5% rebate on your order total (excl S&H + taxes) from ordering from autobarn. I've been using it for years and have accumulated over $500 in rebates. They send you a check once a quarter. Cashed every time w/o problem.

Actually if you all don't mind me soliciting, they have a referral program, where if you sign up for an account ebates.com will automatically credit your account $5 (while I get $5 too) and then purchase something through their web site.
Here's the link:
Ebates.com account sign/referral link

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
mozman said:
That is for a pair, not single bulb right? Cause I was at Wal-mart last weekend and saw a package of 2 silverstars, misplaced in some random aisle, but I didn't do a price check.
Yes. $37 Price is for a pair. Autobarn sells it for $19 each (after discount) - thanks coness for the link - so I guess price is good. I will probably buy both nighthawks and silverstar and try for a side by side comparison.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Yes. $37 Price is for a pair. Autobarn sells it for $19 each (after discount) - thanks coness for the link - so I guess price is good. I will probably buy both nighthawks and silverstar and try for a side by side comparison.
Keep us updated on the progress...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
zebelkhan...Please keep us posted on the nighthawks and post pics if you can. I am bidding on a pair of silverstars now on ebay. If I don't get them for under $20, then I will go to autobarn and get them for $25 include shipping.

When I get them installed (assuming I don't blow up my MO while installing them), I will see if I can get some pics too.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bah..I just checked eBay and was outbid...It better not be one of you guys!!!!!:3:

It looks like I am doing the autobarn route. I will let you guys/gals know the results soon.

1 - 20 of 320 Posts
About this Discussion
319 Replies
53 Participants
Coness
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing