Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current car, an '04 Audi A4 has a CVT transmission like the Murano does. At about 9000 miles, I had to have my CVT replaced (under warranty) because of hard "downshifting" when coming to a stop. Neither the dealership service department or Audi could figure out the problem, so Audi authorized a new tranny.

Even though it was covered under warranty, I did see on the service receipt that if the CVT had not been covered under warranty, it would have cost over $12K in parts and labor! :eek: It is one of the reasons I like to lease cars, always having it under warranty.

Has anyone with high miles had any CVT problems or had to have one replaced?

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Is your audi tiptronic?

My current car, an '04 Audi A4 has a CVT transmission like the Murano does. At about 9000 miles, I had to have my CVT replaced (under warranty) because of hard "downshifting" when coming to a stop.
Is the hard downshifting because you manually downshift the tiptronic transmission ? If not, I can not imagine how a CVT trans can downshift "too-hard" by itself. :confused:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The CVT in the A4 is similar to the Murano's CVT in that it has programmed "gears" that it runs through as the car accelerates and decelerates.

The problem my car had was only when the tranny was cold. Once it heated up, it functioned normally. The service techs were able to confirm and reproduce the problem. Both the dealership and Audi agreed that there was a problem, but nobody could figure out what it was. That is why they authorized the new one.

·
4,664 Posts
It's my understanding the Audi's CVT's use a clutch whereas the Murano CVT uses a torque converter.

It's also a different style belt in a number of the Audi CVT's (Not sure on yours). So while the general concept is the same, there's enough differences that you have to be careful, drawing parallels between the two.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts