Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what cheap mods would give you the most torque (intake,exhaust,chips etc etc) I might start doin some demo derbys but stock would be way to much stress for it, it is currently 100% stock Woulden't want to spent much more than 1k

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im going to be towing a car thats about 3k lbs. im not looking to go fast and beat on it all the time (which ive floored it 4 times) if i wanted that i would get a ram with a cummins. I was thinking of doing cold air,plenum, cutting out the cats. But any suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would be scarred personally to pull anything with this thing my wife has(2010 sl). That's what a truck is for imo. Good luck with what ever u do with it.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
im going to be towing a car thats about 3k lbs.
DEFINITELY be prepared for CVT problems then!

After 6 years with my 04 SE, I'm thinking about what exhaust to get when mine eventually goes. But after seeing the power improvement a Y pipe and less restrictive cat back (GReddy SP2) gave my Maxima, I'm not sure even those would be appropriate for a CVT.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
DEFINITELY be prepared for CVT problems then!
Not necessarily.

MightyMo (aptly named) often used his MO to pull a car trailer loaded with a race-prepped Nissan Z. He also added a full underbody skid plate to his MO that had to add several hundred pounds to the curb weight. Unfortunately his site, zfilms.org, is no longer online so I was unable to find pics. Hopefully he is doing well.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
There are plenty of piped intakes (CAIs) that would fit a Murano, but I am not aware of any plenum mods. Don't cut out the cats - there are there so we don't choke on our emissions, it be inconsiderate (and you wouldn't pass state inspection) if you disabled the emission control devices.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you able to tow a car plus tailer? Whats the towing capacity?
3500 lbs. I have towed a 3000 lb boat + trailer -so I'm on the limit- with an
'03 Murano all over Ontario Canada. No issues. Bought the car new, trailered every summer, traded the car in last week with 175,000 kms (105,000 mi) on it.
I did change out the CVT fluid at 150,000 kms (90,000 mi).
I'll do it all over again with my new 2010 Murano.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Wow thats pretty good. I would never imagine towing so much with a cvt but its good to hear you've done it with success. I always kinda laughed whenever we installed tow hitches on muranos, i've always felt it was only a matter of time before they blew up the tranny.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow thats pretty good. I would never imagine towing so much with a cvt but its good to hear you've done it with success. I always kinda laughed whenever we installed tow hitches on muranos, i've always felt it was only a matter of time before they blew up the tranny.
See, this really concerns me.

I'm planning a move in the next few months that would best be done using my murano and a standard uhaul like trailer. Are you suggesting this is completely stupid? I understand the technical reasons why this is stressful on a CVT, or any tranny for that matter, but if this thing is so delicate I can't tow a trailer full of stuff (mind you a moderate sized trailer) 2000 miles, how will it hold up for 100K miles sans trailer? What about those folks who drive up and down steep hills everyday in their commute?

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
See, this really concerns me.

I'm planning a move in the next few months that would best be done using my murano and a standard uhaul like trailer. Are you suggesting this is completely stupid? I understand the technical reasons why this is stressful on a CVT, or any tranny for that matter, but if this thing is so delicate I can't tow a trailer full of stuff (mind you a moderate sized trailer) 2000 miles, how will it hold up for 100K miles sans trailer? What about those folks who drive up and down steep hills everyday in their commute?
The CVT is not as delicate as you make it out to be.

The tow rating is based on several factors - engine, transmission, brakes, body structure, etc. The CVT is not the lone limiting factor. For comparison, the 2006 Quest shares the same engine as the MO but has a conventional automatic transmission and it has the same 3,500-pound tow rating.

Several members have used their MO as their primary tow vehicle with no adverse effects. One member, MightyMO, regularly used his MO to tow a race-ready Nissan Z on a car trailer.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Good point, Joe.

I really gotta admit, when the Murano first came out and we were having issues with the cvts breaking belts, we were really questioning their integrity and thats why i always laughed at the tow hitches. But after taking cvt training and really seeing alot less issues with them plus the reassuringness of these folks towing with them, i think itll be ok. Nissan has pretty much transitioned over to cvts entirely minus the trucks, so they must be pretty confident in their capability.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
...when the Murano first came out and we were having issues with the cvts breaking belts, we were really questioning their integrity and thats why i always laughed at the tow hitches.
Breaking belts? Was that a big issue? There was never any scuttlebutt on the blogs about belt failures. As I am sure you are aware the MO's CVT employs push-belt technology. The actual belt is never under tension. How were they breaking?

From the few discussions I have had with local Nissan mechanics and from the 6 years of history here it was my understanding that local Nissan personnel never opened up the CVTs, that they were pulled and replaced with new units even if the problem was a simple 50-cent micro switch. Are you now telling us that Nissan has been training mechanics on the repair and maintenance of the CVT? If so, then why are the CVTs still treated as a non-repairable component?

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
No they still don't want us opening them up or rebuilding them or anything. The only thing they've done recently is have us install updated valve body assemblies for certain symptoms and/or dtcs. I just replaced an entire CVT on a 09 Altima that was in an accident and had damage to the cvt oil pan (which can be replaced) and the oil filter/screen/pickup (which is removable and replaceable but no one offers them not even nissan). So for this little peice of sheetmetal box with a screen i replaced an entire transmission, crazy huh!

When i took nissan's automatic transmission training last year, we focues moreso on the 5, 6 and 7 speed transmissions. We touched a little on the CVTs, talked about how they work, we even had one apart and got to see all the internal components, belt, cones etc. But they pretty much told us that due to the less internal parts and cost, we would never be rebuilding them anyway and that it was just cheaper to have them replaced.

When they first came out, i saw quite a few belt failures. I would drop the pan and you can hold all the little triangular peices that would fall apart. I thought they had told us to remedy this they tightened up the pressure on the cones to something crazy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Admittedly, towing isn't quite what I bought the murano for, but I like thinking that it might be able to pull something moderate (nothing quite as heaving as a track car mind you).

This move, if I choose to take the opportunity, would put me back in the bay area (san mateo in particular), so I'll be checking out the dealers around there. I bought the car through premier (same people own premier in san jose and the one here in new orleans) but if I can find a trusty dealership on the peninsula that's where I'll be going.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
There's Boardwalk Nissan in redwood city where i actually used to work at for about 3 years. There's two techs there in particular, Chris or Vince. You can request them, they are awesome. There's also Daland in Milbrae but i heard they're really tiny and i don't know much about them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There's Boardwalk Nissan in redwood city where i actually used to work at for about 3 years. There's two techs there in particular, Chris or Vince. You can request them, they are awesome. There's also Daland in Milbrae but i heard they're really tiny and i don't know much about them.
Thanks man, I'll have a look at both Boardwalk and Daland. The new gig is based in San Mateo and my temporary living arrangements are near SFO so both places are reasonably located.

Also, I've decided to not tow anything out there initially, but instead just bringing basics on the first trip, and if the new gig is going to work out make the move perm in 6 months or so and renting a uhaul and driving it from new orleans this summer (don't even go into it, that's a terribly long drive).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts