Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
Wow it's good enough. I never imagined such a drag with a CVT, but to hear that you did it successfully. I always just laughed when we installed the hooks pull Murano, I always felt it was only a matter of time before they blew up a transsexual.

·
Registered
354 Posts
"......I always felt it was only a matter of time before they blew up a transsexual."

Huh? :confused: Mechanical or physiological?

·
Super Moderator
7,676 Posts
There are people who tow - and people who tow.

We all know idiots who would install a trailer hitch, then just grab onto anything they felt like pulling and beat the heck out of their car while towing.

There are also many, many people (including a lot of Murano owners) who know nothing about cars and who never open the owner's manual - but a lot of them probably have trailer hitches. Heaven knows what they're doing with them.....

THEN there are people who actually think about what they're pulling, how they pull it, and where. They modify their driving habits based on the conditions and the load. They keep track of their tire pressures, engine heat, oil levels, etc. They understand how to tow and how to pay attention to their vehicle.

Guess which group is most likely to tow 3,000 pounds - or even a bit more -and not have any problems?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Unless your an engineer who really knows your stuff, you really can't claim the CVT is weak. You can only go by what people have done. I've towed with my 04 SE a couple times. I recently took a trip up to Orlando from Fort Myers pulling a 18' trailer with a 85 MR2 on it. Car gave me zero problems. You just need to be careful and cautious when pulling anything with any car. I usually put it in manual mode and apply as little throttle as possible and shift at a higher RPM when I'm pulling anything.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
fmp-

Out of curiosity, what would you say is the combined weight of the MR2 and trailer?

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
We had another member, MightyMO, who regularly used his MO to tow a race-ready Nissan Z on a car trailer. Plus he installed a full-coverage, multi-piece skid-plate on the underside of his MO. That CVT, when it is retired, should be enshrined in the JATCO hall of fame.

-njjoe

·
Registered
146 Posts
We had another member, MightyMO, who regularly used his MO to tow a race-ready Nissan Z on a car trailer. Plus he installed a full-coverage, multi-piece skid-plate on the underside of his MO. That CVT, when it is retired, should be enshrined in the JATCO hall of fame.

-njjoe
Honestly I can safely say, I'm right behind him in that department. Ever since I got mine, I've been doing things I shouldn't have been doing. Rally, offroading, towing, racing, constant WOT. I'm hitting 82000mi now, and nothing has let me down drivetrain wise.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Some of you guys seem a bit too worried.

I have used a 2003 toyota matrix with a 1.8 liter engine and tow hitch, to literally tow a trailer and cargo ranging from ATVs, Furniture, Huge loads of landscaping rocks and all kinda building materials, and MOST times the load was around 1200-2000 lbs. A few times with heavy loads of rocks, it was about 2300 lbs.

All that, and often done on un maintained bumpy dirt roads with mud etc, and with a car with a tow limit of 1500 lbs.

It can be done, just one has to be careful, not try to over do it, and realize when one is stressing something, and brake far earlier etc.

My car still runs perfect, even though many have thought it would totally destroy the matrix. Uh 3 years of towing and it hasnt flinched.

A bit too much at times, sure, but cars are not as fragile as some want to believe.

That is a 2800 lb matrix with a 125 hp 1.8 liter engine.

A murano will be just fine.!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tow a 3,000 pound Jayco 195RB with my 2014 Murano
with no problems. I have added a brake controller and a weight transfer hitch. Last trip was 4,412 miles to AZ and NM. I keep my speed at 60mph or less, get between 11 and 14mpg. I am careful and don't try to hold my speed going up steep grades. No issues and don't expect any. You have to know what you are doing to tow anything near capacity. But the manufacture's stated towing capacity is there because that is what your vehicle is capable. I see and hear all the time of people terrified to tow at capacity...usually from people who have never done it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts