Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
I'm looking to buy a used 2003 Murano and was wondering if anyone had opinions regarding the fair price for one. I've seen prices vary from $20k to $26k on various used car sites/dealers. I have found one from an auto broker in North Carolina (I live in Michigan):-
2003 Murano SL, 41000 miles, AWD, VDC, White/Tan, Leather, Navigation, Moonroof, clean carfax. Asking price is $24,000.

Thanks to this forum, I have already learnt about possible issues with the alternator and CVT as well as the cool mods for Nav and Xbox.
Any comments on the price, mileage, options, things to watch out for with Murano's.....anything else , will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
mdave2-

I wouldn't worry about the alternator. Just check to ensure the previous owner had the alternator replaced. And even if the alternator is one of the "bad" ones, you can still get it replaced for free under the recall program.

As far as the CVT goes, there really aren't any issues, just a big question-mark concerning it's longevity.

Good luck with your search.

-njjoe

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Try for an 05

Bigger batery, Mine had the new alternator as well and the 05 had the bugs out of the "system" I had an 04 as well before the 05. 05 no squeeks or rattles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Back in August, I picked up an '03, SL AWD w/NAV and every option available. It had higher mileage ~74K, but at 19,500 I still felt it was a good deal. I since put new brake pads on, replaced chewed up hood insulation, replaced right door actuator and put some fresh tires on. I now have 90K on it and its running like new. I love it and I'm sure I'll get plenty of more miles from this MO.

BTW.... I found my MO on a Dodge lot and they tried to sell me an extened warranty for $2500 and of course I didn't take it.

Once got the car home and read all the stuff that came with I discovered the previous owner had the highest warranty you buy 100K/0 deductible and that the warranty is transferable for $35 as stated in the handbook.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Re: Try for an 05

GripperDon said:
Bigger batery, Mine had the new alternator as well and the 05 had the bugs out of the "system" I had an 04 as well before the 05. 05 now squeeks or rattles.
GripperDon-

Did you mean to write "05 no squeeks or rattles"? :confused:

Or should I just shut-up and sit down? :rolleyes:

-njjoe

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

---------------------------------------------------------
"Try for an 05"
---------------------------------------------------------

I would love to get an 05, however the prices for 05's appear to be out of my range, I did find a few 04s for approx $24k (similar miles but without Nav, Leather, VSC). I figured that within my $$ range, I may as well get the options I want, since there's no difference between 03/04 mechanically.

I appreciate the responses and will find out if the alternator has been replaced.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
mdave2,

I just purchased an '03 SE with leather, nav, and all the other bells & whistles and only 30K miles. Negotiated price from Nissan Dealer was $24,750 before tax, license, etc. And, this is in the San Francisco Bay Area, where the selling prices are probably a bit higher than U.S. average.

I think leather is a must-have and worth dropping back a model-year to get. With all the friendly support on this forum, your back is covered.

P.S. The advantages of buying through a dealer are two-fold: they typically get first dibs on the good condition lease-returns (which are starting to roll in for the 2003 models) and they can cut you a deal on the Nissan extended warranties for pre-owned cars (with some negotiating). It is also worthwhile, I think, to build a relationship with a Dealer for on-going service (e.g. the recalls coming in).

Just my two-cents,
JDB

·
4,601 Posts
Get the extended warranty, don't mess around. It's an AWD which means if you run in to transfer case problems it could damage the CVT case, resulting in a CVT replacement.

That's funny, someone bought my 2003 Murano off a Dodge lot too...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts