Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. i'm new here. me and the wife are looking to buy a 06 in the coming weeks. we're trading in our 05 scion tc for the murano. with a new baby the scion is not convinent, although it was very fun driving by myself.

I don't know if i should spring for awd. if i do we'll get the SE with touring and nav, otherwise we get the SL with touring and nav.

we're also not sure on the color and is deciding between sunset red and platinum.

also, is it common for dealers to have 'forced options' as the sales lady called it. we're not allowed to refuse the mats and cargo protectors if the car have them already. all the accessories are probably cheaper online. and i'll probably put the $20 costco rubber mat in the car anyways, so i can do w/o carpet mats.

i apprecaite your help, thanks

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
If you don't know, AWD and SE/SL are not related. The differences in SE/SL are a stiffer (some say too stiff) ride, different wheels, and some standard items that are options on the SL. Where do you live? That would really influence the AWD decision, for me anyway.

I wouldn't buy one without HID headlights (std on the SE). Nav is a personal preference. I have an aftermarket one (Magellan 700) and like it. You could better use that $1500 difference!

You can refuse to pay for any "forced" option you don't want. Part of the negotiating process. I don't know where you are buying, but my dealer had so many when I bought mine 3 years ago, I could choose and color option combination I wanted.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the SE comes with awd, correct? if i go for awd, then i will go for the SE instead of SL awd. but i'm not sure how different the ride quality is between the two. I live in the bay area, Ca. I don't plan on going offroad, and probably won't go up to tahoe or reno in the snow very often. but my friend tells me i should get awd, because its safer in the rain according to him.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
According to both the nissanusa website and 2006 sales brochures, the 2006 Murano SE comes "standard" with AWD. For 2006 anyway, it looks like you can NOT get an SE with FWD.

-njjoe

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also, we're getting the murano at invoice price, is that a good deal? how much are people paying for the 06. according to edmunds its about 1000 over invoice but i dont' know how accurate that is.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
maximus96-

An '06 at invoice at this time of year without any incentives is pretty damn good.

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi. I was in the same boat last week at this time choosing between a "demo" SL 2wd with Nav and VDC or a fully loaded SE. I traded an '03 SL 2WD so I was really used to that, but bought an '06 SE AWD with Nav, VDC, and Touring with XM. For me, I liked the little extras on the SE like the brushed roof rack, the wheels, and the fact that you see one SE for every three or four SL's (at least in this part of the country).

As for the ride, I do have to say the SE is quite a bit stiffer than my SL and you can tell it when you hit bumps, etc but, the flip is it seems to hold the road a bit better in curves, etc. I have only had it 3 days so it hasn't rained to see if the handling is any different, but, we also have an '05 Audi Quattro and the AWD on that makes every bit of difference on that car in any type weather, so I hope it's the same in this truck.

As for price, I bought mine for $700 under invoice and had that offer from my dealer on any one I chose.

Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is the nav worth the 1500? i never had a nav before, and thought about getting it too. but also thinking of buy a portable gps unit for about $600 instead thats i can take with me car to car. i was looking at the megallan 700...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ekaxel said:
Reliable M700 refurbs on ebay around $400 now
so are these portable ones better deal than the nav...i'm not sure the if nav is worth my $1500...but it sure will be very cool to have it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It depends on your needs and wants, really. I use a Tom Tom Go 300 when I travel and I also used it in my old Murano. It's great, has almost all the same features, and other things like a touch screen that the factory doesn't have, but I personally decided that I wanted the integrated screen and controls in my new Murano. Did I need it since I have the Tom Tom, no, but it came down to me just wanting it and I am glad I did buy it. I do like the way the '06 Nav now speaks the street names even if it is this odd computer voice that doesn't match the regular nav voice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We’re also looking to get the touring package which includes the smart key. How does that integrate with an aftermarket alarm? I read in the brochure that with the smart key in my pocket, I can walk up and the car unlocks itself and I can start the car w/o using a key. We have a Viper 691xv in the scion w/o remote start that locks and unlock with the remote. I want to know if everything will work together before paying the alarm shop to remove the alarm from the scion and install in the murano.

Also, how do you start the car w/o keys? Is there an engine start button or something? I actually haven’t been inside the murano yet. we didn’t have time to test drive last weekend and only went in for the price. We’ll test drive it this weekend.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
maximus96 said:
Also, how do you start the car w/o keys? Is there an engine start button or something? I actually haven’t been inside the murano yet. we didn’t have time to test drive last weekend and only went in for the price. We’ll test drive it this weekend.
maximus96-

The Intelligent key equipped MOs have an ignition switch that looks somewhat similar to a standard keyed switch, except that it shaped so you can turn it with your fingers. It also operates in the same manner.

-njjoe

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like I may be able to start a bidding war between two local dealers. Another dealer I contacted online said he’ll beat the dealer participating in the Costco program and sell me a murano at $250 off invoice. Is it generally a good idea to start these bidding wars? I don’t see any harm myself. I can only benefit after at the end, unless they decide to screw me on the trade-in.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
maximus96 said:
Looks like I may be able to start a bidding war between two local dealers. Another dealer I contacted online said he’ll beat the dealer participating in the Costco program and sell me a murano at $250 off invoice. Is it generally a good idea to start these bidding wars? I don’t see any harm myself. I can only benefit after at the end, unless they decide to screw me on the trade-in.
By all means force dealers to bid against each other. Thats the best way to get the best price, assuming both have identical models.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eric L. said:

By all means force dealers to bid against each other. Thats the best way to get the best price, assuming both have identical models.
actually nobody in the area have the particular model i'm looking for. I was asking for a 06 SE with touring and NAV in sunset red and charcoal. apparently nobody in the 4 dealership around me has that one. the dealer that offer $250 below invoice said he can order it, but will take 3-4 months to come in.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Decisions, etc....

Living in the Bay Area, I used to live there,
you probably don't need the AWD. We live in So. Oregon and live up a steep road so need that AWD. It has come in handy with
infrequent snow fall.
The SE AWD, we own an 03, is really nice and maintains it's value nicely. I would get the SE AWD, but it is up to you.
PS. Don't let them force you into buying extras you don't need. Good luck. Darrell.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
maximus96 said:
Looks like I may be able to start a bidding war between two local dealers. Is it generally a good idea to start these bidding wars?
That's a rhetorical question right? You seriously don't expect us to answer that do you? ;)

-njjoe

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
damnit, nobody in my area has the SE with touring and nav. i'll probably have to order one from the factory and one dealer told me it'll take 3-4 months! even in other colors, they don't have touring and nav together. its always touring and dvd entertainment and VDC. do you guys recommend VDC?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Max, look at the Nissan site and see if you can find one.
Now the east coast might be outa the question, but it would be worth it to fly and drive a couple of hundred miles to get one.
The dealers in your area will gladly service a Murano bought somewhere else, so don't let that worry you.

Homer

1 - 20 of 27 Posts