Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I love the looks of the Murano and I have loved the ride (from the two test drives I've been on) but I'm scared of getting into a car that has only been out for 1 year.

Can anyone give me some nudging to push me over the edge?

I have found what I think to be a great deal on a demo and might go do the deal tomorrow night. It is a black on black SL 2wd with prem pack, leather, sunroof, nav, cold pakg. It is a Demo with 4500 miles on it. They told me it stickers for 35,500 but will sell it to me for 30,900. Any comments on this deal?

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good luck w/your choice. I got my loaded SL (except NAV) for below invoice (~ $32k). Dealer lost ~ $800 before Nissan rebate for advertising expense, etc (net loss $400 to dealer) - finance manager showed me his computer screen. If you want more success in your ability to negotiate I'd say to try and find the dealer with the largest inventory and go at the end of the month.

I chose to lease - for my car, w/o tractons control and tow package he wanted $498/mo with $0 down. My calculations indicated that this was basically MSRP. He only had ~ 5 in his lot. I ended up at probably one of the largest dealerships in NJ which had a good 30 Muranos (plus a number of sweeeet Zzzzzzz) and they had no qualms about negotiations. I pay $445/mo. Go to carpoint.msn.com and price out the vehicle. Stick to invoice. New models are around the corner.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i don't know about you, but ive never bought a "test drive" demo car. When i test drive, i tend to test everything out, slam on brakes, rev up high, swirve around and test handling, fidget wiht this and that... so if i do this, many other people out there probably does :)
i had a choice to pick a SE AWD LOADED w/ nav demo car (about 2200 km) or a brand new SE AWD LOADED w/o nav for the same price and i picked the new one! :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not Enough Discount

You could probably get a new one for about that price. Why take a demo with 4500 hard miles on it? i<3mymurano said it perfectly. Who is gentle on a demo car? It's had 450 drivers who each did 10 miles, all ignoring break-in.

·
5,268 Posts
Nolec5,

There are leaders and followers. The leaders take the risk, that is why they drive something nobody else drives…:2: ..kidding only.

I would not by a demonstrator.

Just my 2c

·
Registered
21 Posts
elansp said:
Good luck w/your choice. I got my loaded SL (except NAV) for below invoice (~ $32k). Dealer lost ~ $800 before Nissan rebate for advertising expense, etc (net loss $400 to dealer) - finance manager showed me his computer screen. If you want more success in your ability to negotiate I'd say to try and find the dealer with the largest inventory and go at the end of the month.

I chose to lease - for my car, w/o tractons control and tow package he wanted $498/mo with $0 down. My calculations indicated that this was basically MSRP. He only had ~ 5 in his lot. I ended up at probably one of the largest dealerships in NJ which had a good 30 Muranos (plus a number of sweeeet Zzzzzzz) and they had no qualms about negotiations. I pay $445/mo. Go to carpoint.msn.com and price out the vehicle. Stick to invoice. New models are around the corner.
Elansp, How much did you put down on your MO and if you remember how much was the payment if you would of bought it?
*back on topic* I would get the demo, it is still under warranty. Whatever doesn't seem right, take it back to the dealer and replace it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I told salesman $0, they said 1st payment (made up of acquisition fee, 1st mo, DMV, etc) was ~ $1500. Do not believe anyone when they tell you this - I did - ended up noticing cap cost reduction of ~ $750 - this was my effective down payment. DMV and other assorted nonsense only comes out to be approx. $300!

I'm not sure what the financing rate would be for the car through the dealership. bankrate.com had a 3 yr loan of approx. 4%.

Ended up driving back to dealership today to get my cargo net as they must have taken it out of the car and not replaced it. How dare they....

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
"Ended up driving back to dealership today to get my cargo net as they must have taken it out of the car and not replaced it. How dare they...."

Well, maybe not..........
In the back, in the back, in the left deep well cubby hole is where I found mine.
Big whoop.

Homer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmm..I looked where the spare tire was...I wasn't aware of anywhere else the net would be...oh well, maybe I got an extra net - any interest for some $$$?!?!?!? :)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
On the Other Side of the spare tire there is a similiar cubby hole.
Big. Just like the cover over the jacks hiding place.
No jack. Good place to keep a monkey suit (To change tires in the mud etc, a sectional fishing rod, etc.)
That's where mine was.

Homer

If you have two nets.
2 whoops. I still fail to see the value of these.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nets, Zero Down

For the net, I use mine in the Pathfinder to keep things from rolling around.

For the zero down, I put zero down. The first payment plus the security deposit (if there is one) is all I pay. What I pay to DMV has nothing to do with Nissan. If I buy a $50 POS, I still have to deal with DMV.

Give them a vehicle acquisition worksheet with every possible charge spelled out. Make them fill in the blanks. Check the math yourself. You'll know what you're paying.

·
Registered
43 Posts
nolec5,

Their offer is only $4,600 below MSRP. Today a dealer offered to sell me a new MO for A$4000 below MSRP. I think you can do better.

As for buying a demo car, I wouldn't worry about it, but only if the price is right!

I bought a dealer demo Jeep Cherokee LTD with 4000 miles on it in 1988. I kept it for 12 years and put 188,000 miles on it myself. The only repair work it needed (besides 2 water pumps, a radiator core, and a couple of sets of belts) was a head gasket at 160,000 miles.

The chances are that the car was used for personal transportation by one of the executives at the dealer, and was not driven (or infrequently driven) by potential customers.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Redbeard said:
nolec5,

As for buying a demo car, I wouldn't worry about it, but only if the price is right! ...

...The chances are that the car was used for personal transportation by one of the executives at the dealer, and was not driven (or infrequently driven) by potential customers.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I forgot something

...like the content of the post...

A friend just bought a Volvo with 4000 km (2400 miles or so) on it... the owner of the dealership drove it home (highway) every day. My brain always says "BS" when I hear that.

I assume that 2400 miles = 100 test drives, each 24 miles, each different driver, each slamming brakes, gunning it, ignoring break-in.

Demos are never cheap enough for me to buy!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I cannot speak for other locations, but here (California, both northern and southern) they let you test drive cars right off the lot. I have test driven many cars over the years, and have never once driven one that had more than 100 miles on the clock. The norm is under 40.

On the other hand, I saw a nice MO with the color and options I was interested in, and with street plates, parked on the lot of the local dealer recently. I asked the salesman if it was for sale, and he said no, the new car sales manager was using it.

Like I said before, this may not be the practice in other regions.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Redbeard said:
I cannot speak for other locations, but here (California, both northern and southern) they let you test drive cars right off the lot. I have test driven many cars over the years, and have never once driven one that had more than 100 miles on the clock. The norm is under 40.
Around here, what they do is "use" an assortment of new vehicles for a combination of loaners, demos, and staff use. Sales Manager took a car for a while, and then when he loaned it to someone whose car hadn't arrived yet, he took something else.

When I got my weekend MO-loan, the guy who was driving it took something else. They just "opened" another MO and have put a few hundred miles on it this week. It's my blue one with black leather, and if the price became right, I'd take it. Problem is they will manage to sell it to someone for a couple of thousand off MSRP, and I expect more than that off of a brand new one (and usually get it).

These people who walk in, pick, pay, and leave are making it hard to shop hard-ball. You have to wait until sales are really slow and the model slows down in terms of popularity.

Nissan's finance rates on the MO should drop in Year Two.

When XTerra was in Year One, the lease rate was 11%. I paid much less for the PF at 6.9% than an X woulda cost. It was an easy choice.

...and anyone who wants a PF right now can get an '03 Chilkoot (Canada only, I believe) for a great price ($5k off $36, advertised nationally). I think that's from MO cannibalizing PF sales.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts